The Time Update: FAQS/Read me!

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: The Time Update: FAQS/Read me!

Post by Skibbles » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:09 pm

Looking again at the list:

Will food and water be dropping faster as well, alongside faster rest and RPR?

It is my hope that if they trigger as much that they'll at least be tweaked to generally land near pre-time values.

Food/water already is by and large roleplayed regardless of the state of the character's supposed nutrition level (or in most cases where it is roleplayed its real weird stuff like someone handing over their pocket food because they forgot to buy theirs and are apparently starving to death) so I'd hate to see this become four times more of a headache than it already is.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

Kessarin

Post by Kessarin » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:21 pm

This was already addressed, emphasis mine:
RP/State Ticks
Instead of one RP/state tick per IG hour (one every six RL minutes), you will now get four RP/state ticks every IG hour (one every five RL minutes). Enjoy your faster falling rest meters and faster RPR XP gains.
State = hunger / thirst / piety / rest.
Come visit the Carmichael Corner Café - located in the corner of Guldorand's town square near the Counting House and Speedy Messenger Service.

• new menu items featured every IG month!
• social opportunities - see and be seen!

Skibbles

Post by Skibbles » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:05 pm

Hmm I've never heard it called state before but it makes sense. Still it doesn't quite do it for me, namely because rest/rpr is directly referenced immediately following while the rest is left out.

I guess it doesn't matter but perhaps it was overlooked and worth mention. I really don't want this completely extraneous mechanic to quadruple in its hassle.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

Kessarin

Post by Kessarin » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:42 pm

Not trying to be a nitpick, but it's literally called "state" in the Wiki: http://wiki.nwnarelith.com/State
Come visit the Carmichael Corner Café - located in the corner of Guldorand's town square near the Counting House and Speedy Messenger Service.

• new menu items featured every IG month!
• social opportunities - see and be seen!

Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:20 pm

Skibbles wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:09 pm
Looking again at the list:

Will food and water be dropping faster as well, alongside faster rest and RPR?

It is my hope that if they trigger as much that they'll at least be tweaked to generally land near pre-time values.

Food/water already is by and large roleplayed regardless of the state of the character's supposed nutrition level (or in most cases where it is roleplayed its real weird stuff like someone handing over their pocket food because they forgot to buy theirs and are apparently starving to death) so I'd hate to see this become four times more of a headache than it already is.
Yep. Instead of ticking every six minutes it'll be every five minutes, which represents a 20% increase in your headache. :D

The only other difference to note is that those 5 minute ticks will represent 15 ingame minutes, not 60. No quadrupling of drops!

Done.

LasharaDyran

Post by LasharaDyran » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:01 pm

Hey do we have a rough ETA on this?

I don't need an exact timeline - just to know if we are RL days away, weeks away, or months away from this going live?
I thought it was to drop at the same time as the new city and converted our treasury records to DR accordingly. Just wondering if I should bother changing them back to AR.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:02 pm

Should be next week I understand.

LasharaDyran

Post by LasharaDyran » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:51 pm

Irongron wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:02 pm
Should be next week I understand.
Fantastic! Thanks for the quick reply.....won't bother to switch back. :D

godhand-
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by godhand- » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:42 pm

Has this change gone live yet and i missed the post?
Cortex wrote: Addendum, the immediate above post by godhand is wrong in about every aspect, as were most of his other posts.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:03 pm

Will merchants on a day/night cycle like Dina Goll or Furth have their hours extended so that they aren't unavailable for as long?
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Contributor
Contributor

Post by Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:48 pm

This has gotten a little delayed for me to finish testing - technically I think it could go live as-is but I haven't gotten to try to break it all the ways I can think of yet. (Also because I needed a brain vacation from Arelith for a bit.) This is still very much coming though.
Baron Saturday wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:03 pm
Will merchants on a day/night cycle like Dina Goll or Furth have their hours extended so that they aren't unavailable for as long?
Right now there are no plans to make them 24/7 merchants.

Done.

Zakka Zakka

Post by Zakka Zakka » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:36 am

Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:11 pm
Quidix wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:10 am
I'd be curious how ore and herb spawn timers are affected?
They won't be affected, they already work off real time and will continue to do so. Ditto treasure chests, monster spawns, etc.

does this mean that rp ticks will be every 5 minutes but monsters will continue to respawn every 6?
because everyone measured monster respawning with the rp ticks...

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:19 am

With this change, nights are going to be even longer. Are there any plans of making days last longer and nights be shorter, in terms of in-game hours?

Also, any plans on changing how the caravan transportation will work with regards to timing?

LasharaDyran

Post by LasharaDyran » Tue May 04, 2021 6:23 am

Are there any updates to the timeline for this change to be implemented?

Drogo Gyslain

Post by Drogo Gyslain » Tue May 04, 2021 7:47 pm

LasharaDyran wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 6:23 am
Are there any updates to the timeline for this change to be implemented?
I was curious about this myself. Is there a rollout event that will address this anytime in the near future or is there going to be an event tied to it etc?

Contributor
Contributor

Post by Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia » Tue May 04, 2021 7:52 pm

Life has kept me busy the past couple months, but I am showing my face again to get the last of this hammered out. Not giving any ETAs, I still need to boot it up in our test environment and finish testing/tweaking, but it's no longer "indefinitely." Thanks for your understanding- RL taking a priority and all. Will bump this with updates.

Done.

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Tue May 04, 2021 9:04 pm

Very few "most recent post" links have gotten me as EXCITE as this one has.
what would fred rogers do?

Skibbles

Post by Skibbles » Tue May 11, 2021 8:00 pm

Flower Power wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:04 pm
Very few "most recent post" links have gotten me as EXCITE as this one has.

Contributor
Contributor

Post by Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia » Fri May 28, 2021 12:33 pm

Please reread the first three posts of this thread to refresh yourselves. We are looking at either this weekend or next for this change to take effect. If any topics pertaining to this update weren't covered in my posts or responses to others, please ask and I'll do my best to answer.

EDIT: Aiming for next weekend for additional code review and polish.

Done.

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Fri May 28, 2021 5:08 pm

This was answered tentatively during the first Q&A we had on this, but will Hour/Level spells end up using the new Hour length, or have they been swapped to 6 Turns/Level to maintain their current duration?

Contributor
Contributor

Post by Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia » Fri May 28, 2021 8:34 pm

Flower Power wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 5:08 pm
This was answered tentatively during the first Q&A we had on this, but will Hour/Level spells end up using the new Hour length, or have they been swapped to 6 Turns/Level to maintain their current duration?
This is answered in the first post, but really should have been located in the "mechanical changes" section in the second post to begin with- I'll move that where it's supposed to be this evening!
Note that this will not effect combat-scale time for rounds and turns: a combat round is still 6 seconds, and a combat turn is still 60 seconds. But an hour, like for the Zoo spell durations, will be affected by this change, and last correspondingly longer.

Done.

Zakka Zakka

Post by Zakka Zakka » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:20 pm

Zakka Zakka wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:36 am
Quidix wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:10 am
I'd be curious how ore and herb spawn timers are affected?
They won't be affected, they already work off real time and will continue to do so. Ditto treasure chests, monster spawns, etc.

does this mean that rp ticks will be every 5 minutes but monsters will continue to respawn every 6?

bump to know how it will affect monster respawn/container/resource respawns; does this mean they remain respawning every 6 minutes (monsters) 12 minutes (containers) 18 minutes (resources)?

those're the current timers as far as we can tell...

Contributor
Contributor

Post by Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:01 pm

Zakka Zakka wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:20 pm
Zakka Zakka wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:36 am

bump to know how it will affect monster respawn/container/resource respawns; does this mean they remain respawning every 6 minutes (monsters) 12 minutes (containers) 18 minutes (resources)?

those're the current timers as far as we can tell...
Hey, sorry I missed clarifying this before! I've added a bullet-point on this to my second post- monster/treasure respawns all key off RPR ticks, which key off real time. This means they will refresh at 5 minute intervals instead of 6 minutes once the update goes live.

(incidentally, we are looking at tomorrow afternoon to send the patch live, as we want to time it to be right after backups finish, and when everyone is awake. While I don't anticipate any serious issues, enough critical systems are being changed by this that if the worst happens unexpectedly, any rollbacks would be as minimal as possible. Shouldn't come up in the first place, but looking to be proactive.)

Done.

thimblegiant
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by thimblegiant » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:24 am

MissEvelyn wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:19 am
Also, any plans on changing how the caravan transportation will work with regards to timing?
I'm curious about this as well. Yesterday I got to a caravan just at the top of the hour and missed it, so I had to wait for a full RL hour to catch the next one. It used to be not too bad if you missed a caravan, you could hang around a firepit and chat for 20 minutes waiting for the next, but a full RL hour can be a stretch. Mechanically, you could put on your running shoes, keep your head down and take your chances by sprinting between settlements but if you're trying to RP "taking the caravan" with someone it's not a great alternative.

I don't think having caravans leave every hour is very thematic, but I wonder if we could fudge a little and allow catching the caravan anytime during its departure time, so instead of needing to be there right as the clock ticks to top of the hour, you could instead hop on anytime during that 20 minute window. This also gives you a way to plan if you're trying to make it to the caravan; if it's an hour before or during the hour you'll know you still have time to catch it.

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:58 am

Another question came to me.

How will this impact properties leased to settlements via the auction system? Castle Gloom, Darrowdeep, etc.
We could expect to see 2-3 auctions per RL year for each property, but 5 IG years is now the better part of 2 RL years.

Will they remain on a 5-IG year timer, and thus be tied to a given settlement for over a RL year per auction, or will the duration of their lease be "dropped" to 1-1/2 IG years (which is precisely the same amount of time, 168 RL days, as 5 IG years used to be.)