Wharftown Love

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Wharftown Love

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Tue May 12, 2015 3:54 pm

I am just curious - in the past few years we've seen huge improvements to Cordor, Brog, Bendir, Gulderland and the UD. I know a few of my characters have been working on the building up - various plot lines - of Wharftown.

Being that Wharf hasn't had an update in over three years, I was just wondering if it was on the dev's agenda. :)
John 3:16

Skype Arelith.rat

Lorkas

Re: Wharftown Love

Post by Lorkas » Tue May 12, 2015 4:39 pm

Wharf has gotten some small updates over the past three years, just nothing as revolutionary as the other settlements received.

Remember the paper barrel update? :P

It has changed more than Myon has in the last 3 years, I think. The only change I can think of immediately in Myon is that the House of Reverie became module-enforced, but others might be able to correct me. Wharftown got several (small) cosmetic changes in that time.

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Post by Dalenger » Tue May 12, 2015 5:36 pm

Lorkas wrote: Remember the paper barrel update? :P
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Post by Dalenger » Tue May 12, 2015 5:38 pm

Lorkas wrote: Remember the paper barrel update? :P
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

Thake

Post by Thake » Tue May 12, 2015 7:05 pm

Mithreas wrote:PC deaths give my life meaning, people.

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Tue May 12, 2015 11:19 pm

Lorkas wrote:Wharf has gotten some small updates over the past three years, just nothing as revolutionary as the other settlements received.

Remember the paper barrel update? :P

It has changed more than Myon has in the last 3 years, I think. The only change I can think of immediately in Myon is that the House of Reverie became module-enforced, but others might be able to correct me. Wharftown got several (small) cosmetic changes in that time.

Smart arse ... yeah I don't think Wharf compares to Myon in any way, considering that Myon is mega huge that few people actually visit, and Wharf is small which everyone visits.

Skype Arelith.rat

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Wed May 13, 2015 3:46 am

They have different feels, for sure, but Myon is plenty active. It's just that people who aren't playing elves don't see the RP that's happening there. Logging on to my elf character, I typically see as many unique characters to interact with inside Myon as I do inside Burrowhome, which is a completely accessible settlement on a major trade route.

Just saying, Wharftown isn't a uniquely unchanging spot on the Arelith map. It has gotten a lot of small updates, and other places have had even less attention. Who knows though, maybe we will soon explore the new Wharftown :)

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Wed May 13, 2015 7:05 am

Well...

Brogendenstein had heavy RP behind past updates, with active work from character players to enhance it.

Guldorand was objet of a serious work from a couple mayors it had (Kouto Wemblethen, Mondéro Starker) to become what it is nowadays...

Cordor had also heavy RP and work from players to build the Triadist Temple (Joshua Colt and Co?)...

Now, when I played Morkhav, I tried in some ocasions to convince some mayors to start a plan of expansion for Wharftown (by IG actions) in the sense to give it stone walls and maybe a citadel in the northern hills, within the mountains, that expansion could include a government build as more housing and trading for the city. Every time the current mayors refused the plan as they judged a pain of work may be recquired (true) and because they agreed about love Wharftown as it is.

If you want to see Wharftown updates, work for it IG! This is not a guaranty that may happen, but certainly won't change if you don't move in that direction.
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

Stath

Post by Stath » Wed May 13, 2015 9:27 am

During the Army of Light plot, there was a concentrated effort by the Wharftown Waymen and Citizens to dig a moat/trench around the Walls, a guard tower at each gate, removing the debris outside, and an imaginary escape tunnel in the Lighthouse Torture Ch- I mean, Cellar so that the Townsfolk could flee if the Lighthouse was ever breached under Robert and Amana.

About 12 characters all up, roughly a solid 27 hours of RP put into it. There's a large empty space right next to one of the gates. It could probably make a good house or two.

/Edit: THAT GOD DAMN PAPER BOX RIGHT IN THE WAY OF THE ROSTER. It actually makes it easier to place down straight.
Ork wrote: *who filters sexy elven fun times, really?

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Wed May 13, 2015 9:54 am

Stath wrote:During the Army of Light plot, there was a concentrated effort by the Wharftown Waymen and Citizens to dig a moat/trench around the Walls, a guard tower at each gate, removing the debris outside, and an imaginary escape tunnel in the Lighthouse Torture Ch- I mean, Cellar so that the Townsfolk could flee if the Lighthouse was ever breached under Robert and Amana.

About 12 characters all up, roughly a solid 27 hours of RP put into it. There's a large empty space right next to one of the gates. It could probably make a good house or two.

/Edit: THAT GOD DAMN PAPER BOX RIGHT IN THE WAY OF THE ROSTER. It actually makes it easier to place down straight.
As a sample, Kouto recquired to gather up to 1,000,000 stone (yes, one million) for her pretended Guldorand's Keep... As I guess they didn't reached as much stone, but they got agreements with the dwarves workers of the Golden Halls, something diferent could be made. (I am storytelling in a free style the happenings)... She also (and later Mondéro) were RPing for so long time, engaging more characters aswell in the boring efforts.

The war efforts of Wharftown were very small (in resources) and concentrated in time (IG days or weeks) and reached the purpose: Defend the town. (Never intended as consolidated and definitive defenses)

I remember I asked to the mayor about built Stonewalls (after the battle against the Zhentil Army and the Army of Light, both events around 100 and 101 AR)... Nothing was done in that sense even when Wharftown has been attacked sooo many times and really could justify that building improvement.

Don't take me wrong, I am not complaining nor blaming. I am just pointing that there were a focussed and long IG work in those areas that had some of the biggest updates. because as you know, the Staff and DMs encourage IG actions.

Wharftown had some excellent mayors, and that they were not building lovers doesn't mean they were wrong.
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Wed May 13, 2015 3:24 pm

The Man of the Moon wrote:Don't take me wrong, I am not complaining nor blaming.
You are, and you don't have the whole story. It's better you don't speak for others without knowing their intentions.

Wharftown has had some very real IC pushes, but the most recent I know of was vetoed by the staff.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Wed May 13, 2015 3:34 pm

The Rambling Midget wrote:
The Man of the Moon wrote:Don't take me wrong, I am not complaining nor blaming.
You are, and you don't have the whole story. It's better you don't speak for others without knowing their intentions.

Wharftown has had some very real IC pushes, but the most recent I know of was vetoed by the staff.
I am not. I am giving my feedback. OFC I can be wrong, but the purpose was not blame nor complain but point in the direction I perceived. (I am at least speaking about the happenings around the two wars as Stath mentioned the one with the Army of Light, and by the time I was in the Waymen and got involved in almost everything what happened there. Yes, I may be missing things, but if talking about the efforts of war, I gave my vision and opinion.

I am not the master of truth and defo I could be wrong as missing something essential that may be happening in front my nouse.

No complains nor blames.

Peace

Thank you

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Wed May 13, 2015 4:51 pm

Area building is a huge amount of work, the Underdark project took the best part of a year, and Guldorand was worked on extensively by both I and Artos. The last free time I had for Cordor was adding the goblin fortress & approach, and the new crypt areas. All of which were extremely demanding projects.

As for Brogendenstein I've barely left my computer for the last 3 weeks, and part of the reason I could work on it so quickly was that it had been a subject of discussion between Artos & I, and we'd already arrived at many of the decisions, it was of course also helped by the course of player actions, as they do sometimes count.

Artos had done some fantastic work in responding to PC initiatives, in places such as the Bramble Watch & Greyhammer.

That being said I can't always respond to player plans, and I do have my own personal philosophy when doing so. And it basically goes something like this...

If players are working towards something new that brings people together, rather than separate them out, I'm far more likely to invest the time. 'Closed' areas, like a fortress, temple for your own faction, race or faith and I'm less likely to take the time.

Those things can prove popular at first, and often grow empty over time, and when they don't they can become even worse; separating out a group of players, role-playing in their own private area for months or years to come. Arelith already has A LOT of guild-houses and settlements. Far more, I think, that is actually required with many decent ones vastly underutilized. (PCs are always trying to get new stuff built. How about settlements start getting the wrecking-hammers out and RP towards actually destroying things they don't think necessary anymore?)

Wharftown, as a settlement, is pretty perfect in my opinion. The whole layout bringing people together almost immediately. It is, I think, the only settlement where one can stand in the central area, and be pretty sure of role-play. I see reason to spread it out, while adding some new private area would only serve to damage something I think is working very well.

That being said I do have some ideas, but they're based upon enhancing what is currently working, rather than replacing it. We'll see, there's a lot of projects going on right now (though one of the team was asking me just a few days ago about when I'd work on Wharftown)

We'll see.

Cihparg
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Cihparg » Wed May 13, 2015 5:03 pm

Irongron wrote:... Wall of Text ...
What would happen if someone started distributing void stones as cookies? Would that eventually make a giant sinkhole out of Wharftown?

And, personally, if I were to drive for more change, I'd say the temple could be more centralized - a slightly bigger wharftown, possibly. Sure, getting bigger means a lot of the places are sort of abandoned (look at Cordor).

Beep boop.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Wed May 13, 2015 6:30 pm

Cihparg wrote: Sure, getting bigger means a lot of the places are sort of abandoned (look at Cordor).
I played into a NWN server a while ago (12...13...14 years?) where some cities had like a dozen areas... The said cities were so awesomely built, but so awesomely isolated too as the only inhabitants you may find often were just npcs.

Thank you

CookieMonster
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CookieMonster » Wed May 13, 2015 6:36 pm

Cihparg wrote:What would happen if.... cookies
I am here!

As it were, Wharftown is a very reliable Town with an area layout that allows easy access to multiple requirements. At best it could benefit from a refreshment, perhaps a few new features added into the City with others becoming more compressed such as the Blacksmiths becoming a part of the Merchant building to ensure that players crafting remained close enough to RP.

However, if I were to be brutal with it. The Temple needs a roof.
DM Spyre wrote:Someone has watched too much Dragonball Super.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Wed May 13, 2015 6:52 pm

A temple to Selune? Roof?

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Wed May 13, 2015 6:57 pm

Lorkas wrote:A temple to Selune? Roof?
Anyway soon the banites will take over on that temple and consecrate it to bane...and ofc, build a roof. :lol:

Thank you

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Wed May 13, 2015 7:01 pm

Rattus_norvegicus99 wrote: Being that Wharf hasn't had an update in over three years, I was just wondering if it was on the dev's agenda. :)
Wharftown got an update less than a year ago when Artos added the ship building structure (Which is awesome by the way!) not to mention the Warship.

Wharftown is one of my favorite places on Arelith, the area itself is just perfect. I'd love to see some new stuff there but for me personally it is not required. If anything I'd like to see its harbor expanded.

Madukthedoppelganger

Post by Madukthedoppelganger » Wed May 13, 2015 8:05 pm

Then how will they praise the su moon?

Thake

Post by Thake » Wed May 13, 2015 8:13 pm

I'd love to see a "starter dungeon" there. Something like a barn with 3, 4 areas where you can stomp small bugs and earn yourself the title of 'Destructor of vermin'. Ok, ok, I'm gone already^^
Mithreas wrote:PC deaths give my life meaning, people.

P Three
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by P Three » Wed May 13, 2015 10:05 pm

Thake wrote:I'd love to see a "starter dungeon" there. Something like a barn with 3, 4 areas where you can stomp small bugs and earn yourself the title of 'Destructor of vermin'. Ok, ok, I'm gone already^^
+1. I absolutely LOVE that Brog has starter quests, even though I will probably never play a dwarf/gnome/hin etc (I just love my pretty elves♡♡). It would be nice to branch that out to Wharf or (PLEEEEEZ) Myon!
"Fail your Death Attack? Boomstick. Immune to sneak attacks? Boomstick. Gnome? Boomstick." ~ Baron Saturday

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Thu May 14, 2015 12:47 am

Stath wrote:During the Army of Light plot, there was a concentrated effort by the Wharftown Waymen and Citizens to dig a moat/trench around the Walls, a guard tower at each gate, removing the debris outside, and an imaginary escape tunnel in the Lighthouse Torture Ch- I mean, Cellar so that the Townsfolk could flee if the Lighthouse was ever breached under Robert and Amana.

Yep, we did (I was on a secret alt) and even went so far as fleshing out the jail area to harbor refugees, made sentry towers, built a golem army, dug a moat ... we did a ton of work on Wharf during that time.

And being that Wharf is a city that almost EVERYONE visits on a regular basis, I thought it might be due for a bit of a freshening up.

My thoughts for Wharf would be more in the lines of trade, since that has been what Wharf's strong point is, the center of trade. Ideas included adding a golem crafting area, trader's guild house and perhaps even a ship yard where boats could be improved - even if those improvements were only aesthetic.

Thank you Irongron for explaining in detail, for us that are not Devs, exactly how much time you put into all this. You all are truly, amazing people and we are so fortunate to have you.

Skype Arelith.rat

WildOrchid

Post by WildOrchid » Thu May 14, 2015 9:34 pm

The Man of the Moon wrote:
Anyway soon the banites will take over on that temple and consecrate it to bane...and ofc, build a roof. :lol:
I can if you want me to.