Bounty hunter.

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Cabarcos
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Bounty hunter.

Post by Cabarcos » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:00 am

My last PJ or char, hope it lasts, it's a rogue. I was thinking about getting some levels as an invisible blade, but after his experiences my initial idea changed.
I still want him to be a stealthy guy, but now I'm thinking about getting some ranger levels so he can track.
When he is able to, maybe he will work as a bounty hunter to try to catch the baddies that are harassing settlements, etc.

Apart from the usual dungeon crawling, I want him to have some motivation for wandering around.

Any ideas about that?

I like to ask and listen, and then do what I want. It usually helps to get a clearer idea.

Curve

Re: Bounty hunter.

Post by Curve » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:07 pm

It is hard to help with a build if I can't see what you have so far. Without knowing what your ability scores are, what feats you have, what skills you have, it is very hard to point you in any direction. I don't know what your knowledge level is of NWN, but your style of question makes me think you are new to the game. If you want to post some more info I am sure someone can give better pointers.

If you don't want to give more info and just want some general ideas? Considering you said you are just Rogue so far, shoot for ending at 24Rogue/6Fighter. Take 4 Fighter levels by 20th level, take Weapon Specialization on your 4th Fighter level. Take Epic Weapon Specialization between 21st and 30th level on your 6th Fighter level. Take Armor Skin. Take Blinding Speed if you are DEX based.

If this is your first Arelith character it may be hard to see, I know it was for me, but you will have one thousand more characters and each one you will understand the server, mechanics of PvE and PvP, character building, and RP more. This is a slow process but a very rewarding one.

This will be the most useful tool for your career of making characters:
Kalopsia wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:20 am
Here's the download link:
Download (Last updated: March 19, 2021)

Cabarcos
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cabarcos » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:26 pm

I've been playing this game almost since launch. I'm asking more in RP terms that in the power of the build terms.
Lately my builds depend more on what feels right that in what is more effective.
I've an idea and the build adapts to it, no the other way around. It's more fun, at least to me.

My previous char is a spellword, and it was fun to play, and a killing machine. But I got to level 20 and started to get bored. He has no friends, no links. Being a guard, join the Arcane tower, mmm no, or not in the mood for that. I don't want to make the same mistake, again.
With this new one I've already make some friends in game, so it looks better.
Maybe in the future join to a ranger group?

Curve

Post by Curve » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:48 pm

Got it. You are asking for build tips with RP considerations. Go for ranger. That will help you do bounty hunter stuff. Other than that put yourself out there, let it be known that you hunt people for bounties. Collect people to help you with PvE bounties; “I have a difficult bounty on a priest rumored to be giving sermons in the middle of the Forrest of dispair.”

For me it is very hard to be an active member of a settlement, or faction like the Tower while maintaining a profession like ‘bounty hunter’. Bounty hunter feels more lone wolf style while faction membership feels the opposite, ‘do what we do/dislike who we dislike’. If I was making a character like that I would try to find ways to know what is going on in settlements and factions without being a member. Be more mercenary. It might be cool to start a bounty hunting group, expand to general mercenary work. I think Arelith could really use a morally ambiguous mercenary group.

Also, don’t be afraid to lose a player bounty, don’t be afraid to get beat up chasing someone. Often these kinds of concepts are derailed because players don’t want to risk failure. Risk failure. Be willing to get in over your head. Don’t wait till 30th level to start doing things.

Cabarcos
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cabarcos » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:06 pm

Sounds pretty good.
To help with information gathering, some points in Leadership (he already has in Lore)?
It would also help to gather a party to go hunting.
I'm maximizing stealth skills, spot, listen and search.

And a good reason to try to learn new languages, to blend in so he can get information.

Curve

Post by Curve » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:12 pm

If it was me I would skip leadership unless you really want to make use of the mechanics of it. For a bounty hunter Set Traps can be cool. For that matter some cursory points in Disable Traps/Open Locks is always fun.

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:19 pm

For bounty hunter type RP, ranger is really nice. The tracks thing is one of the coolest game features. However, I also really like lore master for this. You can take gift of exploration and scry gift for tracking. You also get languages to better speak with the 'locals' about you quarry.

Curve

Post by Curve » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:48 pm

I always read up on concepts I have in mind. To see how other people have made them interesting, and to take inspiration. It’s nice sometimes to be able to fall back on what an established character would do in given situation too, if you find yourself not knowing where to go.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor ... ty_hunters

Cabarcos
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cabarcos » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:05 am

Curve wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:12 pm
If it was me I would skip leadership unless you really want to make use of the mechanics of it. For a bounty hunter Set Traps can be cool. For that matter some cursory points in Disable Traps/Open Locks is always fun.
Already got some points to deal with traps and locks.
I'd like him to have some social abilities, but I don't know which ones will be good in this case, between the possible ones. I'll probably need to play more with him to see where he goes. Usually I modify my first idea a bit, the parts that at the end I don't like or just don't feel right.

Cabarcos
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cabarcos » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:24 am

I've found an interesting post about Leadership viewtopic.php?f=36&t=32449
It's says you get more gold from heads, so it could be a another good reason to invest some points in it.
I'll have to use the PGCC to see what options I've.

Looks like there's no way I'll have enough points for everything I'd like, so we'll see what can be done.