Timeline - Time of Trouble

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Nagwag

Timeline - Time of Trouble

Post by Nagwag » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:26 pm

It's not a bug per se, but I just wasnt sure where's the best place to put it down, and it can lead to "buggy" background stories, so I guess here is fine anyways.

[edit] hm, yes, this is a good place for it too I guess

- In the cordorian language lesson yesterday I realized that the Time of Trouble was in 1358 DR, not in some shady distant past.
- The guldorand event release news stated that we are inbetween 1371 and 1372 DR now, in the lets name it Arelith Freezed Time.
- Talking in the Bendir Discord, that "freeze time" in itself is 170+ years though, for now.

I would like to ask for an official clarification somewhere, maybe here, best to be transfered to the wiki, how to handle the ToT ...
Was it ~15 years ago, as lore would dictate ('58 to '72), so quite in the liftime of most chars?
Was it ~185 years ago, so for sure quite close for long living races like elves and dwarves, still in the lifetime of old hin, for example, but somewhat distant for short living races like humans?

Or was it somewhen else alltogether? As we diverged the timeline after the ToT but befor the Spellplague, I guess it would be nice to know. As said, it's of course not a bug per se, but its quite a difference for a human char for example if she was ten when it happened, or if even her parents wherent a thought on the mind of her grandparents or grandgrand parents or so when it happened :D
Last edited by Nagwag on Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Berry / Jo / (Myxi) / Iolite / others]

Curve

Re: Timeline - Time of Trouble

Post by Curve » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:21 pm

First, the Spellplauge has not happened in Arelith's timeline.

I am not able to give an official clarification, and I am not really sure that you will get one. I personally don't dwell too much on it. The only kind of specific Forgotten Realms history my character's interact with tend to be things like the Maztican invasion/war or vague hostilities between certain city-states and nations Thay/Rasheman. I don't make characters that have personally interacted with something like the Time of Troubles because there are so many different ideas on how long ago it happened and I don't want to run into issues like, "Wow you were on Boareskyr Bridge? My great-grandfather was too!"

I hand wave a lot of dates and would do that here, with your issue. But, if you held a knife to my throat and demanded an answer I would say that the best path forward for everyone involved is to say it happened in the distant past, before anyone on Arelith was alive.

Nagwag

Post by Nagwag » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:26 pm

Yeah, thats what I mean with we diverged befor the Spellplague.

But depending on the answer, it is impossible to NOT have a char that interacted with the time of trouble in one way or the other, as we are not allowed to play underaged folk, and the lore distance is 15 years :D

And even if we say its 180+ years, it will include lots of elves and dwarves ... with 120+ years to be no child any longer for an elf

Kessarin

Post by Kessarin » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:01 pm

Semi-relevant to this question, but... any update on when we will get the Time Change™ that was supposed to happen with the release of Guldorand? When RL:IG goes from 1:10 to 1:3?
Come visit the Carmichael Corner Café - located in the corner of Guldorand's town square near the Counting House and Speedy Messenger Service.

• new menu items featured every IG month!
• social opportunities - see and be seen!

LIAR LIAR

Post by LIAR LIAR » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:16 pm

As a further note, I believe the Arelith year cycle has completely gone in a full circle once or twice or more. We’re reliving years right now if I’m not mistaken.

Inordinate
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Inordinate » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:41 pm

LIAR LIAR wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:16 pm
As a further note, I believe the Arelith year cycle has completely gone in a full circle once or twice or more. We’re reliving years right now if I’m not mistaken.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32103
If need there comes to shelter my ship on the flood;
The wind I calm upon the waves, and the sea I put to sleep

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:52 pm

The best thing to do about the time issue is to not think about it too hard. There really isn't anything meaningful in the roleplay surrounding "time dilation", and it becomes silly when people talk in game about how arelith's time is frozen.

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:28 pm

All events that happened prior to 1372 are to be handled as if they'd just happened. The ToT/Godswar is always within living memory.

It's silly, yeah, but it gives everyone a common benchmark and springboard for drawing background inspiration from the setting at large; like Ork said, just smile and nod and suspend your disbelief.
what would fred rogers do?

Curve

Post by Curve » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:32 pm

Flower Power wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:28 pm
All events that happened prior to 1372 are to be handled as if they'd just happened. The ToT/Godswar is always within living memory.
Can you cite where this has been said by anyone other than players?

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:40 pm

Curve wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:32 pm
Flower Power wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:28 pm
Can you cite where this has been said by anyone other than players?
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=30353&p=241412&hilit=1372#p241412
- Spyre stating that the date is always 1372 in a tongue-in-cheek fashion.
Xerah says the same thing earlier in the thread, for basically the same reasons I listed.

Curve

Post by Curve » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:46 pm

Wild style. I guess I will adjust my rp going forward. Not that I've been spewing falsehoods in game, it's just a misconception I've always had.

Nagwag

Post by Nagwag » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:39 am

so regarding what spyre wrote in that post ... ToT IS actually 15 years past?

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:38 am

Yeah, everything that happened leading up to 1372 has always just happened.

And there's nothing weird about that at all. Right? Right.

Exordius

Post by Exordius » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:25 am

Sounds like a certain philosophical saying i have heard in RL... "This has all happened before, and this will all happen again."

mf_hansen

Post by mf_hansen » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:13 pm

A benefit is players from DR calendar can better plan their backstory lore wise depending on when they reach Arelith or Skal, and it will fit with other characters already there. Just one thing to note once this is implemented:

The 1385DR Spellplague is expected to NOT happen roughly 4½ real life years from now. After this there will be 34 real life years to go before the Second Sundering brings us in line with 5ed lore, so keep a very critical eye on forgotten realms wiki and crosscheck the Time Updates FAQ on Arelith forums if an event you refer to within that timespan is Arelith canon or not (assuming events directly caused by the Spellplague are not canon, and indirectly caused might be canon to an extent):

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32103#p253072
Send PM or find mf_hansen on IRC or Discord between 18:00-23:00 CET/CEST.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:53 am

Exordius wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:25 am
Sounds like a certain philosophical saying i have heard in RL... "This has all happened before, and this will all happen again."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r51EomcIqA0

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)