Why can some beverages be renamed in stacks while others cannot?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Kessarin

Why can some beverages be renamed in stacks while others cannot?

Post by Kessarin » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:55 pm

If I buy a stack of: water, milk, beer, spirits, and generic wine (the latter three being craftable items as well,) then I can put the stack into a Cooking Pot and rename / re-describe as I want.

However, if I buy a stack of coffees, teas, meads, ales, etc., then I cannot rename the stack using the same method. And while I can use an Enchantment Basin to add weight reduction, take possession, and then rename / change description, that 250g investment is only good for the one drink.

Is there a way to either 1) make it so those items can be renamed in stacks, or 2) add those items as generics to the list of craftable items?

My PC has opened a café, and I like to add flavorful (pun intended...) descriptions to things instead of serving the same ol' "Athkatlan Coffee with Milk" or whatever is in the nearest tavern's rotation that day. And while I can spend 250g per renamed coffee just to add that flavorful text, I... would rather not, if there's an easier, better way.

Thoughts? :)
Come visit the Carmichael Corner Café - located in the corner of Guldorand's town square near the Counting House and Speedy Messenger Service.

• new menu items featured every IG month!
• social opportunities - see and be seen!

Anatida
General Admin
General Admin

Re: Why can some beverages be renamed in stacks while others cannot?

Post by Anatida » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:56 pm

I am fairly sure that this is because the first set you list are all default NWN items. They have a 'permanent blueprint' and existence.

Where as the second set you list comes from the Arelith bar system which is generated by a script from a 'template'. Meaning a base item is created, and then a random name gets set (possibly other game relevant information the PC never sees). I /believe/ that this would cause the script to be the 'owner' instead of your PC. Only an owner of an item can change it's name/description.

This was solved in some other cases by adding the "Take Possession" option.

Maybe someone can add the ability to "Take Possession" of the bar drinks. Unfortunately I'm not a scripter.

My pronouns are: She/Her/That *itch

Blood on my Lips

Post by Blood on my Lips » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:10 am

Anatida wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:56 pm

Maybe someone can add the ability to "Take Possession" of the bar drinks. Unfortunately I'm not a scripter.

Please, please, please.

Kessarin

Post by Kessarin » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:09 pm

Blood on my Lips wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:10 am
Anatida wrote:

Please, please, please.
Pretty pretty please!
Come visit the Carmichael Corner Café - located in the corner of Guldorand's town square near the Counting House and Speedy Messenger Service.

ScalesofEquilibrium

Post by ScalesofEquilibrium » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:38 am

Pretty please with a sugar on top!

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:08 pm

Anatida wrote:
I am fairly sure that this is because the first set you list are all default NWN items. They have a 'permanent blueprint' and existence.

Where as the second set you list comes from the Arelith bar system which is generated by a script from a 'template'. Meaning a base item is created, and then a random name gets set (possibly other game relevant information the PC never sees). I /believe/ that this would cause the script to be the 'owner' instead of your PC. Only an owner of an item can change it's name/description.

its already an option in the basin with bar bought items, and they do effect your water %s just like speckled egg affects food

oh and you dont have to do weight reduction before taking posession. you take one item from the stack then do your changes. do not take it back into your inventory yet, place the rest of the stack in the basin then pull the one edited one to your inventory, then take the second set from the basin and it will stack and have the editing. no cost
Yes I can sign

Kessarin

Post by Kessarin » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:31 pm

Ebonstar wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:08 pm
Anatida wrote:

its already an option in the basin with bar bought items, and they do effect your water %s just like speckled egg affects food

oh and you dont have to do weight reduction before taking posession. you take one item from the stack then do your changes. do not take it back into your inventory yet, place the rest of the stack in the basin then pull the one edited one to your inventory, then take the second set from the basin and it will stack and have the editing. no cost
In my original post, I explained that I could do exactly what you described, but only for certain items. Others do not work. This is what results:

I've tried both types of enchantment basins. This was a coffee item purchased at the Nomad. Am I missing something obvious? Because otherwise, I do not see any way to rename or change description without doing the enchantment so possession can be taken. I believe Anatida explained the whys of it, but I'm more than willing to be corrected! :)

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:04 pm

I did notice before my hiatus, that crafted basins do not always offer the take possession option. try in permanent ones
Yes I can sign

Kessarin

Post by Kessarin » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:16 pm

Ebonstar wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:04 pm
I did notice before my hiatus, that crafted basins do not always offer the take possession option. try in permanent ones
I really, really, really wanted this to work.

Alas, it did not. I tried the basin(s) at Arcane Tower, Thoramind's Shop, Adventurer's Guild, Library, and Mercantile. No luck. :(

Tikin

Post by Tikin » Sun May 02, 2021 10:40 pm

I will add my plea to this thread ...

I've noticed that I'd be mechanically inclined to drink alcohol as a wizzard, and coffee as an earthkin defender ... I don't believe I need to explain why I tested to rename coffee without success (other than paying almost 200 coins per coffee) :D

And let's be clear ... I'm the kind of player that uses the "take possession", "rename", and "edit item description" options a lot. So, before posting that it's possible to rename coffee (the ones that actually raise your rest bar), please check in game and give us a thorough (like where's placed the basin you used, what coffe you used and where you bought it ...) description of the way you succeeded to do it ;)

Please, pretty pretty pleaaaase, make them editable <3 :smiles blushing:

Thanks for all the work you guys :kiss: