Fey Warlock Building

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Koorii

Fey Warlock Building

Post by Koorii » Sat May 16, 2015 12:58 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new here :oops:

I've been thinking about making a fey warlock but I'm not really sure how I should go about building one since I've already heard a few conflicting things about them and warlocks in general.

What stats should I be looking at? I know Dex is important to hit but I was originally considering CHA based for my DC's. Since warlocks don't get epic spell foci is that worth doing? I'm guessing if there's only a small chance of success it wont matter if my cha is high or not. CON based seems like a really bad choice since heal seems pretty weak here.

I've also heard that enchantment, the main school for a warlock, becomes pretty useless at higher levels, is that true and should I focus on melee using the spells more for self buffing rather than putting stats on the enemy?

Thanks in advance for any advice, just want to make sure I get this right

Mayonnaise

Re: Fey Warlock Building

Post by Mayonnaise » Sat May 16, 2015 1:13 pm

Koorii wrote:

What stats should I be looking at? I know Dex is important to hit but I was originally considering CHA based for my DC's. Since warlocks don't get epic spell foci is that worth doing? I'm guessing if there's only a small chance of success it wont matter if my cha is high or not. CON based seems like a really bad choice since heal seems pretty weak here.
Dexterity and Charisma are both important. However, since your Warlock blasts/spells/magics are all touch attacks, you need far less AB than other classes. I would invest in Charisma heavily, rather than Dexterity. However, I also recommend getting item pieces with both ability enhancements on them.
Koorii wrote: I've also heard that enchantment, the main school for a warlock, becomes pretty useless at higher levels
Somewhat true, but the word is that is being reworked. Enchantment is still very viable up until those higher levels.
Koorii wrote: is that true and should I focus on melee using the spells more for self buffing rather than putting stats on the enemy?
Not really. You could, and it certainly has some viability. However, I personally would focus on your spells; they do to much damage, with touch attacks, and with a chance to do some sort of effect. Even if there are super high saves, there is always the failed roll. Unless you're fighting creatures completely immune to the effects.

All this being said, I'm currently playing a Fey Warlock, so I've somewhat of an idea about this.

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Re: Fey Warlock Building

Post by Dalenger » Sat May 16, 2015 3:36 pm

I have a epic feylock, here's what I suggest:

-Dump everything possible into cha. Higher cha = higher spell DCs = Godlike

-You'll want both enchantment feats to raise your spell DCs

-After cha comes dex. If you have a high enough dex, you'll never miss your blast unless you roll a 1

-Lengthen spell is you best friend

-I would recommend against melee building, but that's personal preference

-Con is nice, but not entirely necessary. It can be a dump stat after dex
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.