Eyebite, what is the point of this spell?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

cornelius_4
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Eyebite, what is the point of this spell?

Post by cornelius_4 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:31 am

I'm reading eyebite and I'm struggling to see why one would take this spell.

Let's say your enemy is 10 hd or more, as an 11th level or higher character will generally be up against such.

Eyebite, on a failed fort save, will give -2 to attack, damage, saves, skills and ability checks, but only on 1 target and only for 1 round / 3 levels.

Compare that to flesh to stone that instead completely disables the target for about 15 times longer (1 turn / 2 levels).

I think the 4th level spell enervation roughly achieves the same thing as eyebite with 2.5 levels drained on average and it lasts far longer (1 hour / level). I haven't tried eyebite yet as it seemed unusually weak for it's level, is there (hopefully) something I am missing with this spell?

Mattamue
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Eyebite, what is the point of this spell?

Post by Mattamue » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:46 am

The sickened curse lasts until its cured. The other < 10 effects are the ones that last 1 round / 3 levels.

What are the chances that you'll beat a fort check in PVP and the other character doesn't have a remove curse? Low probably, but it has the chance to panic someone.

Otherwise, for PvE... anything besides a boss will die pretty quick and most bosses will have high fort. I wouldn't compare it to flesh to stone.

Real question is why you would choose either over another mass haste.

Who is the audience for this post?

ReverentBlade

Post by ReverentBlade » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:14 am

If you slot a spell that isn't a buff or some form of saveless damage, you're probably doing something wrong. Some spells with movement restricting effects are exceptions.

Pincushion

Post by Pincushion » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:49 am

Feylocks get the spell and it procs their eldritch blast, so it's a good spell to use against high health enemies in PvE, and as a tool against low fortitude melee builds in PvP. Otherwise, I can't see much use for it.