Noob Necromancy Question

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Glowing Mushroom
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Noob Necromancy Question

Post by Glowing Mushroom » Sun May 02, 2021 2:27 pm

Why does Mummy Dust boost the summons of Create Greater Undead if you can only use one of these spells at a time?

It would make more sense to me to see ESF Necro provide the boost to CGU to create Mummy Lords on its own, and then with MD you would see the additional Dread Mummy Lord.

The same would go for the Vampire Streams. ESF Necro to provide the boost to CGU to create Vampires. If you want the Vampire Count, you would need MD.

The point being that MD lasts 24 hours, which is the same as CGU. You can only cast one at a time. It seems redundant to be required to have MD if you want more powerful mummies/vampires if you're only going to cast one anyway. Tweaking this slightly to boost ESF Necro would be a nice change, especially since ESF Necro is currently broken and does not grant the additional use of CGU on Shamans. This raises another question of why would you ever bother to use an extra cast of CGU if you have MD? And if you're using CGU, you're going to want ESF Necro and MD. But by the time you have MD, you won't be using CGU anymore.

I would love to see ESF Necro grant Mummy Lords/Vampires instead of being required to have MD. MD should grant the Dread Mummies and Vampire Counts on its own.
Burin the Earthly.

Miskol

Re: Noob Necromancy Question

Post by Miskol » Sun May 02, 2021 4:51 pm

I will begin by saying this post feels more like a suggestion than a question, but here goes...

Undead summons are already quite strong in their current iteration and enable the summoner to solo most content. There is absolutely no need to guarantee another tier 7 undead for taking what should already be required feats for anyone wanting to play a necromancer. Let's not forget that a wizard specializing in necromancy (therefore locking out all divination spells) only has a 35% chance at most to summon another dread mummy. I would agree that ESF necromancy could get something better as an active skill than an extra use of create greater undead, but remember that ESF necromancy also buffs the strength of your summon across the board.

Glowing Mushroom

Post by Glowing Mushroom » Sun May 02, 2021 5:21 pm

Miskol wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 4:51 pm
I will begin by saying this post feels more like a suggestion than a question, but here goes...

Undead summons are already quite strong in their current iteration and enable the summoner to solo most content. There is absolutely no need to guarantee another tier 7 undead for taking what should already be required feats for anyone wanting to play a necromancer. Let's not forget that a wizard specializing in necromancy (therefore locking out all divination spells) only has a 35% chance at most to summon another dread mummy. I would agree that ESF necromancy could get something better as an active skill than an extra use of create greater undead, but remember that ESF necromancy also buffs the strength of your summon across the board.
I put a lot of feedback into this, rather than a suggestion. But the core of what I'm trying to understand is the original question, which is why. Necromancy is a fun school of magic but it seems weirdly utilized, especially since it doesn't even work properly with some classes.

I don't think ESF neco should create the tier 7 summons, that should be reserved for Mummy Dust as explained.

I do however think that ESF necro should provide the tier 6 summons with Create Greater Undead. Otherwise it seems redundant to have both just for one benefit. My question is why it does not do this already, as per the above points? To be clear this is about the tier 6, not 7.
Burin the Earthly.

chris a gogo

Post by chris a gogo » Sun May 02, 2021 5:47 pm

Now im confused.

Undead summons scale off caster level not spell cast.

The spell cast determine the number of undead created.

So.
Animate =1
create undead =2
Create Greater Undead =3
Mummy Dust =3 with a boosted 1 of those three.

CGU Does already create 3 tier 6 summons if you have the needed number of caster levels.

Unless it's been changed recently.

Glowing Mushroom

Post by Glowing Mushroom » Sun May 02, 2021 6:03 pm

chris a gogo wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 5:47 pm
Now im confused.

Undead summons scale off caster level not spell cast.

The spell cast determine the number of undead created.

So.
Animate =1
create undead =2
Create Greater Undead =3
Mummy Dust =3 with a boosted 1 of those three.

CGU Does already create 3 tier 6 summons if you have the needed number of caster levels.

Unless it's been changed recently.
Based on the chart and from what I've tested in game, you are required to have Mummy Dust if you want Tier 6 undead summons.

That's what I'm trying to get at here. It seems redundant. ESF Necro + CGU should create tier 6 on their own. It currently does not.

Unless I am doing something wrong?
Burin the Earthly.

Tim Burton Feature Presentation

Post by Tim Burton Feature Presentation » Mon May 03, 2021 11:04 am

It's an incentive to take the epic spell.
"The darkest minds are often peering through tinted glass so utterly dark that there seems to be no light left in the world."

chris a gogo

Post by chris a gogo » Mon May 03, 2021 1:29 pm

Yes sorry I misunderstood what you were saying in your initial post i thought you were asking if CGU can summon tier 6 summons which it can. once you have the required feat to do so, bare in mind you only need this one feat to do so you do not need necromancy focuses to take the mummy dust feat.

Necromancy focus don't need a buff in power but once the suggestion forum is back open you can always post this suggestion there.

Glowing Mushroom

Post by Glowing Mushroom » Mon May 03, 2021 4:49 pm

Tim Burton Feature Presentation wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 11:04 am
It's an incentive to take the epic spell.
I mean if it's as simple as that it's as simple as that! If it's all by design then great. I just wasn't sure, the way it's tiered seems like ESF Necro should provide that. But if the design in mind is to have it come from MD then great.

Thanks for the input everyone!
Burin the Earthly.