DM Question on Animal NPCs

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Archnon

DM Question on Animal NPCs

Post by Archnon » Tue May 11, 2021 1:01 pm

I was just wondering what the DM policy was on animal NPC's in settlements. I know you are not supposed to mind control the human NPC's but are you permitted to animal empathy npc animals in settlements. For example, the wolves sitting by the fire in Skal.

Morgy
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: DM Question on Animal NPCs

Post by Morgy » Tue May 11, 2021 3:34 pm

Irongron said the timber wolf in the quarry was available for empathy, so I think it’s alright? I’d avoid taking from inside the village personally, as I think it spoils the aesthetic somewhat to do that.

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Fri May 14, 2021 8:24 am

I mean, to put it another way though: how would you feel if some random person walked up into your house and 'borrowed' your dog?
what would fred rogers do?

mash
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by mash » Fri May 14, 2021 9:56 am

We practice horse communism on Arelith, an extension to other animals only seems logical to me.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Fri May 14, 2021 10:24 am

mash wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:56 am
We practice horse communism on Arelith, an extension to other animals only seems logical to me.
The horses are intended to be used and taken. Other non-respawning nonhostile NPC's, not so much. As an example: Logically the NPC's would react to someone just taking old galverson off to kill bugbears, but they can't do that without a DM present. It's why the rule about not performing any hostile actions to nonhostile NPC's without a DM go-ahead exists. Including dominating them and taking them away.

mash
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by mash » Fri May 14, 2021 10:41 am

I wasn't entirely serious, although my somewhat joking point is that overthinking about taking an animal makes about as much sense as the horse system. Do the NPCs just breed, feed, train, and equip horses so that any faceless adventurer can take them away (they usually don't bring them back either)? I'm not sure if that kind of NPC cares about a wolf sitting at the campfire. Don't think the question can be answered by logic, so it will have to be just called as a rule by the DMs.