Language Cap

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Tomato Sword

Language Cap

Post by Tomato Sword » Wed May 20, 2015 7:35 pm

How does the script determine when a language counts for a cap? I have two different hypothetical scenarios.

Let's say character was in the process of learning Elven, but decided to throw away the Phrasebook (before it reached 100% or "green" under -language) and wanted to learn Goblin instead. Does "in process" language count against you for your cap or it only determines the cap after it becomes "green" under -language.

In another scenario, let's say a character was in the process of learning Celestial and actually completed learning it. But the character later on takes a cleric level as a good-aligned character. Does the Celestial she learned prior to taking the cleric level count against the cap?

Thank you very much!

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Language Cap

Post by The Rambling Midget » Wed May 20, 2015 8:16 pm

Only green languages count against the cap.

If you learn Celestial and then take Cleric, AFAIK it should count against the cap, but that's not a problem unless it wasn't the first language you learned.

As you break the language cap, new languages replace old ones in the order they were learned. For example, if your 14 INT character learned Elven, then Celestial, then Goblin, you would lose Elven.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Tomato Sword

Post by Tomato Sword » Wed May 20, 2015 9:13 pm

Oh cool! Thanks TRM!

Okay, a follow-up question then.

For the "roll Lore to understand what people are rambling about" check, the description says bonus from Gift of Tongues count in the wiki. What does that mean?

As far as I can tell, it looks like the Gift of Tongues just lets you learn 4 additional languages. But does it also have a bonus of +4 on the Lore check against language you don't know?

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Wed May 20, 2015 9:42 pm

That information was added by TemplariDM, who I don't know, so I can't confirm its accuracy.

If it's correct it would mean that The Gift of Tongues provides a +4 bonus to Lore for the purpose of language comprehension, so you would only need 36 Lore from other accepted sources to have perfect universal comprehension.

Mithreas can confirm.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Thu May 21, 2015 12:31 am

I do not think the Gift of Tongues offers any benefit on that roll.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Tomato Sword

Post by Tomato Sword » Thu May 21, 2015 12:40 am

Okay! Thank you both!