Do Fighter bonuses stack with items?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Windude

Do Fighter bonuses stack with items?

Post by Windude » Thu May 21, 2015 8:56 am

The real question is, should they? They actually don't stack, I'm unsure whether this is a bug or should be like that, if it's the second case, then the bonus is useless to fighters who have items that give AC (Most of them). Enlighten me please!

If you're wondering what's the fighter bonus, here here my good friends:

http://wiki.arelith.com/Fighter

God In Action

Re: Do Fighter bonuses stack with items?

Post by God In Action » Thu May 21, 2015 9:00 am

I think the answer is that no they shouldn't stack. The benefit of the fighter bonus is that a character with a lot of fighter levels can get better gear than that which is crafted, and that by having the innate bonus it frees up equipment slots to have custom enchanted gear. So rather than +3 Armour, if you have 15 fighter levels, you can go for +1 Str and +1 con armour instead, without any drop in AC.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu May 21, 2015 9:05 am

God In Action wrote:I think the answer is that no they shouldn't stack. The benefit of the fighter bonus is that a character with a lot of fighter levels can get better gear than that which is crafted, and that by having the innate bonus it frees up equipment slots to have custom enchanted gear. So rather than +3 Armour, if you have 15 fighter levels, you can go for +1 Str and +1 con armour instead, without any drop in AC.
Absolutely right this.

The Fighter bonus overlap with any bonus of the same type the said weapon/armor could have.

I had a fighter level 20+ by the time when that update was made... I got him geared on adamantium and a masterly damask weapon...
With the update, I threw away my adamantine armor, helmet, shield and damask weapon and replaced them by a set of bronze with enchantments.

Armors with AC still good for all the whole warriors who are not fighters or for those fighters with lower levels.

EDIT: Be aware there are some exceptions that may you want to keep some stuff...

Perhaps... You may want to keep the 10% immunities against the different dmg types... Or you may want to keep the damage bonus that a masterly damask weapon has (perhaps, you may be level 15 fighter, getting your weapons as enhanced +3, so the hit bonus overlaps and makes useless the one on the masterly damask weapon... but this one still getting +6 dmg while your bonus only gives +3, so for this reason you may want to keep the masterly damask weapon)

Anyway, once a fighter got at least 15 fighter levels, I suggest go through the enchanting gear...

A full set with +1 STR, CON, +2 discipline, +2 heal, etc?
A weapon with enchanted rainbow dmg + keen that will get also your fighter bonus?

Awesomeness!
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

miesny_jez

Post by miesny_jez » Thu May 21, 2015 9:49 am

How does the Fighter bonus work with arrow bundles?

If I have a damask arrow bundle: +3 damage

Will the fighter lvl 20 have it:
1) Both +4 Enchantment and +3 Damage
2) Only +4 Enchantment

How will it look like when split to arrows. Will it be:
Bundle +4 Enchantmt and +3 Damage -> +4 Ench Arrows with additional +3 damage on them ?

Theory.. Would it be possible to make a beauties like this with a lvl 20 Fighter:
(Bronze bundle)
+4 Encha (Fighter), +1d4 elemental (Basin), +2 (Perm essence), +1d6 (temp essence), +2d6 (against Undead - Bless weapon)

Then split and apply additional 1d6 essence on stack of arrows ending with:

Kill arrows: +4, +2(positive), 1d4(fire), +2d6(elect, acid) , +2d6 (holy undead only) :lol:

Min damage(udead): 1d8 + 11 +3 (Mighty) = 15
Max damage(udead): 1d8 + 34 +3 (Mighty) = 45

Just curious how stellar can You go with that arrow damages.
Last edited by miesny_jez on Thu May 21, 2015 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windude

Post by Windude » Thu May 21, 2015 9:57 am

miesny_jez wrote:How does the Fighter bonus work with arrow bundles?

If I have a damask arrow bundle: +3 damage

Will the fighter lvl 20 have it:
1) Both +4 Enchantment and +3 Damage
2) Only +4 Enchantment

How will it look like when split to arrows. Will it be:
Bundle +4 Enchantmt and +3 Damage -> +4 Ench Arrows with additional +3 damage on them ?
Judging from my current arrows, Steel, I get +1 temp. piercing (from the bonus) and 2 more from the material, yes, your calculation is correct.

And also, thank you all, I'm enlightened now! Considering I'm going to be a -tanky- Dwarven Defender, I'll still go for more AC! Also I'll only take 10 fighter levels, should be okay!

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu May 21, 2015 10:02 am

Windude wrote: And also, thank you all, I'm enlightened now! Considering I'm going to be a -tanky- Dwarven Defender, I'll still go for more AC! Also I'll only take 10 fighter levels, should be okay!
Then I suggest you to go for an entire set of adamantine once you may get it... If as dwarf you couldn't use a tower shield, then go for a greensteel large shield (greensteel shields gets a +3 AC bonus). You may have then +3 AC above the one your fighter levels may provide... as a warrior tank that is an important gap in my opinion.
Last edited by The Man of the Moon on Thu May 21, 2015 10:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

Windude

Post by Windude » Thu May 21, 2015 10:09 am

The Man of the Moon wrote: Then I suggest you to go for an entire set of adamantine once you may get it... If as dwarf you couldn't use a tower shield, then go for a greensteel large shield (greensteel shields gets a +3 AC bonus). You may have then +3 AC above the one your fighter levels may provide... as a warrior tank that is an important gap in my opinion.
I can use a tower shield just fine. Also Adamantine doesn't fit my Shield Dwarven RP so I just got mithral. Having a bit of loss by doing this but I'd rather do it correctly, thanks for the advises though!

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu May 21, 2015 10:13 am

Windude wrote:
The Man of the Moon wrote: Then I suggest you to go for an entire set of adamantine once you may get it... If as dwarf you couldn't use a tower shield, then go for a greensteel large shield (greensteel shields gets a +3 AC bonus). You may have then +3 AC above the one your fighter levels may provide... as a warrior tank that is an important gap in my opinion.
I can use a tower shield just fine. Also Adamantine doesn't fit my Shield Dwarven RP so I just got mithral. Having a bit of loss by doing this but I'd rather do it correctly, thanks for the advises though!
If you are not going for adamantine... then don't neither for mithril as with 10 fighter levels you are giving to any blank gear the same enhancement as if you had mithril.

I would suggest to go for bronze enchanted gear to raise your STR, CON, fortitude, heal, discipline and spellcraft (if you had any point by yourself)

In the RP side: You get a runic gear, enchanted with the blessings of Moradin and the other Dwarven deities attached in each detheck rune :)
Last edited by The Man of the Moon on Thu May 21, 2015 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thank you

Windude

Post by Windude » Thu May 21, 2015 10:14 am

The Man of the Moon wrote:
Windude wrote:
If you are not going for adamantine... then don't neither for mithril as with 10 fighter levels you are giving to any blank gear the same enhancement as if you had mithril.

I would suggest to go for bronze enchanted gear to raise your STR, CON, fortitude, heal, discipline and spellcraft (if you had any point by yourself)

But my character loves mithril *_*

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu May 21, 2015 10:17 am

Oh, nevermind

RP is above anyother consideration! If your character loves mithril, dress him on mithril!

EDIT: You may pertend your enchanted bronze set was mithril, but then that may be chessy and cheating your love for mithril.

Go for whatever you love because this is the main thing.
Last edited by The Man of the Moon on Thu May 21, 2015 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thank you

Windude

Post by Windude » Thu May 21, 2015 10:17 am

The Man of the Moon wrote:Oh, nevermind

RP is above anyother consideration! If your character loves mithril, dress him on mithril!

Aye aye captain!

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu May 21, 2015 11:09 am

miesny_jez wrote: Theory.. Would it be possible to make a beauties like this with a lvl 20 Fighter:
(Bronze bundle)
+4 Encha (Fighter), +1d4 elemental (Basin), +2 (Perm essence), +1d6 (temp essence), +2d6 (against Undead - Bless weapon)

Then split and apply additional 1d6 essence on stack of arrows ending with:

Kill arrows: +4, +2(positive), 1d4(fire), +2d6(elect, acid) , +2d6 (holy undead only) :lol:

Min damage(udead): 1d8 + 11 +3 (Mighty) = 15
Max damage(udead): 1d8 + 34 +3 (Mighty) = 45

Just curious how stellar can You go with that arrow damages.
Be aware that:

1. The fighter bonus (enhancement) applies only once you equip the bolts/arrows in the ammo slot. (This is meaning that you cannot make arrows applying and fixing on them the fighter bonus to later, pass them to a non fighter who may get the benefy of this bonus)

2. If you enchant on the basin a bundle and then you apply a damage essence, the essence will remove the enchanted dmg, so you need FIRST to apply the permanent essence, then enchant and later apply the temporary essence and the holy spell.

3. Seems cheaper to enchant a bundle of bronze arrows with rainbrow dmg (permanent essences are so expensive unless you could create them, and even then, as you may sell them to get the gold, still)... So let's say, you enchant 1d4 positive + 1d4 negative + 1d4 sonic... to this, you can then ad a temporary 1d6 lightning essence and the holy spell (that will become permanent once split the arrows stacks from the bundle as you know)... split the bundle and add another temp 1d6 acid essence and applying then the fighter bonus on equipping the arrows... Going for:

1d8 arrow + 1d4 pos +1d3 neg +1d4 son + 1d6 acid + 1d6 lightn + 2d6 divine (vs. undead) + Fighter bonus + Mighty STR applied bonus.

(Credits to Lorkas who enlightned me about the whole ranged ammo thing) If there is something wrong, is not Lorkas fault but mine as I may be missing something.

Thank you