Mobile and Switch Crashes

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Pajamajake

Mobile and Switch Crashes

Post by Pajamajake » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:06 pm

Hello There!!

My friend and I recently started playing, and we LOVE this server! :D

One thing we have been dealing with: there are certain areas that always cause a CRASH on mobile and/ or Switch versions of the game. I was wondering if anyone has found any fixes for crashes on mobile or Switch?

For instance: one area that consistently crashes for me is the area right outside of the Temple in Sencliff. I can browse the market and get to the bank and roam around, but as soon as I get close to the temple it crashes. Very odd!

Anyone have any thoughts?

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Re: Mobile and Switch Crashes

Post by Irongron » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:55 pm

A complex answer I'm afraid...

There is a ship behind the Feasting Hall in Sencliff which uses a 'tile group' we at Ossian added during development of Tyrants of the Moonsea. This, along with many other additions to the game, including creatures and tilesets were updated into NwN itself, but NOT on Switch and Xbox. When you encounter them? You will crash, see nothing, or ugly chunks of white.

We can mitigate this by adding these resources to our HaK (download) package, but this in turn means all our PC players download content they don't actually need. Currently , a PC player must download a lot of content, but fully a THIRD of this they don't actually need - they are only left downloading it because those on Switch and Xbox did not receive the new content.

Anyway, I don't want you to your friend to be unable to play, so I will see if we add this too to our HaK package, or failing that replace it in the area with an inferior model.

On your side I would advise you contact Skybound games/Beamdog and plead with them to at very least update the game to include this new content, as you will likely have other troubles in future.

With Android I'm less sure, I thought they were updated, but perhaps not, or not all resources.

I'm sure this is interesting to many of our players, who would likely want a far smaller download. My, admittedly limited understanding, is that updating NwN consoles is prohibitively expensive, which itself highlights the challenges of a cross platform launch before updates to NwN were completed.

Whether they will be updated, either fully or partially I cannot say: that is a question for the studios, I certainly don't have that influence, but enough customer requests may? Personally I hope that they are updated eventually, but If not? I'm doing what I can to ensure we supply console players with the resources they lack, but as updates continue to the engine itself, there will likely come a time when this becomes too heavy a lift.

Do keep me informed here of any other console bugs you find, and I will do my best to seek a work around. Also avoid visiting Myon, you will likely encounter a white void...

Spriggan Bride

Post by Spriggan Bride » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:49 pm

I thought I'd add... The iOS version of NWN was released a version behind and has yet to be updated so it's pretty much unusable for Arelith as well.

It's too bad, too, because from what I was able to see the iPad seemed to handle high graphics settings really well and had almost no load times between screens.

Pajamajake

Post by Pajamajake » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:53 pm

Thank you so much for the reply!! That makes sense :)

Is there any way I can take the files for the tilesets and other added content and place them directly into the NWN directory on my Android device? In theory, would that solve the crash issue?

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:27 pm

Pajamajake wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:53 pm
Thank you so much for the reply!! That makes sense :)

Is there any way I can take the files for the tilesets and other added content and place them directly into the NWN directory on my Android device? In theory, would that solve the crash issue?
I'm actually not sure, likely it would have to be provided by NWNSync, or be overwritten.

Anatida
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Anatida » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:17 pm

tl;dr: I'm working on this right now. It requires some coordination with the person that handles our nwsync content, as well as testing to verify the cause.

It may be possible that you can unpack the beamdog bif file directly into your /development folder as a temporary fix?

My pronouns are: She/Her/That *itch

Anatida
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Anatida » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:36 pm

Pajamajake wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:06 pm
Hello There!!

My friend and I recently started playing, and we LOVE this server! :D

One thing we have been dealing with: there are certain areas that always cause a CRASH on mobile and/ or Switch versions of the game. I was wondering if anyone has found any fixes for crashes on mobile or Switch?

For instance: one area that consistently crashes for me is the area right outside of the Temple in Sencliff. I can browse the market and get to the bank and roam around, but as soon as I get close to the temple it crashes. Very odd!

Anyone have any thoughts?
Also, do you get a crash report in your NWN folder? That would be a huge help. You can contact me and send them on Discord.

It would look like:
Neverwinter Nights/nwmain-crash-###.dmp
Neverwinter Nights/nwmain-crash-###.log

My pronouns are: She/Her/That *itch

Pajamajake

Post by Pajamajake » Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:18 pm

I will reach out on discord with the crash Report! Thanks, everyone, for your consideration and hard work to help this community!! This team is excellent!

Karris the Anarchist
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Karris the Anarchist » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:21 pm

I’m getting the same thing on ios. Just posted a bug report on beamdog’s redmine with the explanation Irongron gives above.
That which doesn't kill you, simply makes you... stranger.

Aeon Xen

Post by Aeon Xen » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:43 pm

Irongron wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:55 pm
We can mitigate this by adding these resources to our HaK (download) package, but this in turn means all our PC players download content they don't actually need. Currently , a PC player must download a lot of content, but fully a THIRD of this they don't actually need - they are only left downloading it because those on Switch and Xbox did not receive the new content.
It seems like making PC users spend an extra minute or two on downloads is worth allowing the mobile/console players to be able to play the game.

I play on iPhone and iPad exclusively and can attest that crashing is such a prevalent problem, I no longer play on the Surface at all. I can't head west from Skal, I can't go north in the starting pirate area, I can't leave certain areas in Condor--it just crashes the game and when I rejoin, it crashes again. The only way to recover is to login on my PC on walk my character back to a non-crashing area.

So far, the Underdark is the only place I haven't had any crashes (yet), so I'm in the process of moving all of my characters there.

Would it be possible to include IOS/mobile/console testing as part of each new release, or at least as part of a full regression that is run every so often? I have to assume with the release of XBOX, Switch, and mobile, that there is a good portion of players on those platforms, and everyone of those people I've talked to are having the same problems.

Spriggan Bride

Post by Spriggan Bride » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:50 am

I don't know about the other systems but I feel like iOS is a lost cause at this point. There have only been two or three minor updates to the app in over a year and I am pretty sure the version of NWN hasn't been updated at all and is falling further and further behind what Arelith is running. If it remains stagnant is it even possible to catch players up through haks as the desktop version keeps moving forward?

Ping14
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Ping14 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:42 pm

Irongron wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:55 pm
Also avoid visiting Myon, you will likely encounter a white void...
This is weird.
I have two devices... Samsung galaxy tab S4 and Galaxy note 10+

Tab S4 encountered no problems with Myon. But died in Cordor. (Im thinking its the lodestones there? Or something in that central fire pit area of city proper.)

Note 10+ died on Myon. The greenish part of myon. Indoors are ok. Guld elven trade hall is also ok.

So I think it also have something to do with devices aswell? The newer ones have more issues than my older Tab S4.

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:18 pm

I’m working on some fixes eventually that may reduce some crashing due to models having name differences. I just need time to go through all our models.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.