80 Lore

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Its_a_jelly

80 Lore

Post by Its_a_jelly » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:56 am

I stopped playing Arelith a couple of years ago, but I'm thinking about coming back with a few friends.

There have been lots of changes, and I'm trying to navigate some of them as I relevel my old character and experiment in the PGCC. That said, I have a couple of questions...

1) Even maxing out Lore in the PGCC, I'm not even close to the 80 needed to read top scrolls. Are Lore items plentiful IG? How difficult is it to get to 80 Lore?

2) How difficult is it to get rebuilds in Arelith? I'm deleveled to 1, right now. So, that's not the issue. I'm just worried I'm going to mess up the rebuild somewhere and need to do it again.

I vaguely remember that it wasn't easy to get one when I used to play. Has that policy relaxed, over the years, due to the frequency of changes and updates that could potentially break a character build?

Thanks for any information/advice!

Skarain

Re: 80 Lore

Post by Skarain » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:46 pm

1) Even maxing out Lore in the PGCC, I'm not even close to the 80 needed to read top scrolls. Are Lore items plentiful IG? How difficult is it to get to 80 Lore?
For Lore items:
• Helmet: Googles of Minutes Seeing (loot drop), +5 Lore.
• Bracers: Adamantium Bracers of Knowing (Smithing craft), +6 Lore
• Ring: Ring of Insight (vendor), +5 Lore (each)
• Cloak: Witchhunter Cloak (Tailoring crafted), +5 Lore

That lands you at 26 Lore.

Assuming you enchant your Belt, Boots and Necklace with Lore (leaving Chest and both Weapon slots untouched), +6 total (+2 each), that gets you to 32 Lore. With 33 ranks, that is 65.

If you start with 14 INT, that is +2 more, 67 total. If you include some INT enchantments in your gear (or use Fox's Cunning for +5 INT (spell/wand/potion), can get you to 70. Obviously you might have higher INT than that, so adjust accordingly.

From there, if you take Epic Skill Focus: Lore, you land at 80 Lore.

..... Now, certain classes do have Lore bonuses, such as Bard(class) gets 1/2 their level to Lore, or Loremaster(prestiege class) get 2x their level (max 10) Lore. Harpers and Zhentarim PRC also get some via Bardic Knowledge.

Dwarven racial Lore feat for +2 and Courteous Magocracy (starting feat) also add into it.

So in conclusion, you CAN reach 80 Lore, but it requires serious investment and likely either a Class with Lore bonus or ESF: Lore. To my knowledge, those who go for Lore sometimes stop at 50 Lore, as that is the required level for Word of Faith scrolls. And instead of Mordekaine's Disjuction, they use Greater Spell Breach (level 6 spell).
2) How difficult is it to get rebuilds in Arelith? I'm deleveled to 1, right now. So, that's not the issue. I'm just worried I'm going to mess up the rebuild somewhere and need to do it again.
My advise on it is to: "Never count on it".

Sometimes when extensive overhauls are made, relevels are given. Everybody was dropped down to level 1 as part of the Skill Overhaul - every class gaining (on average) 2 more skill points per level. Otherwise, they are generally only given when classes are changed heavily.

In my experience on Arelith you should always plan your builds ahead using Spreadsheets and PGCC, and never rely on the possibility of releveling. You can obviously always ask for delevels, but that means gaining back all the lost exp from the levels you lost.

However, your character was deleveled to 1. You can check what level they were using this: https://nwn.fandom.com/wiki/Level_progression . In the log-in screen, look how much EXP you have and what level is your actual level. This allows you to "bank" the skill points you have until your last level, so if you want to change your skill point spread later and no relevels, only delevels are given, you do only need to loose 1 level, rather than 29. That is what I did when I releveled my cleric, as I was unsure on what skills I would want and need - suddenly with lots more skill points than before.

As for enchanting your equipment with Lore: Cast No Shadow's guide to Enchanting in Arelith
Last edited by Skarain on Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Drogo Gyslain

Post by Drogo Gyslain » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:50 pm

For certain builds it's not hard. For Example, 25 Wizard / 5 Loremaster with base 30 INT will net you 66 base lore by lvl 30, ungeared and unbuffed.

2 Rings of insight (Sold for cheap usually) will give you another +10,
You'll pick up another +1 from maxing out your Int Stat with gear
And then the remaining 3 you can just put on other gear like a belt or hat.

Not every class is capable of it, but high INT rogues, Wizards, Loremasters etc. are going to be the main focus of who will be getting the high Lore needed for such spell scrolls without significant investment otherwise.

If you wanted to focus on another class being able to utilize those scrolls, consider this:

+5 ring
+5 ring
+2 Helmet
+2 armor
+2 boots
+2 belt
+2 arms
+2 dagger
+2 dagger
+2 cloak
+2 Amulet
+15 Legend Lore Scroll
+2 Wand of Good Hope (Bard Wand)
+13 SF/ESF: Lore

= +58 in buffs alone, and that's not counting any specialty equipment that can exceed the base +2 enchantments from the pot of greed or taking . So effectively, you could make a character with +80 Lore Potential, from a regular character with a Lore of a 25, with the right gear and equipment. It's all about how you want to invest your time into it.

Skarain

Post by Skarain » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:57 pm

A minor correction to the excellent post of Drogo above.
Sources of Lore which contribute to the Lore value used for scroll usage:
Skill Ranks, Intelligence modifier, + Lore on equipment, the Dwarven bonus to Lore, Courteous Magocracy , Skill Focus: Lore and Epic Skill Focus: Lore, 1/2 of the Bardic Knowledge Lore bonus.
It does NOT include the spells Identify or Legend Lore, or the skill bonus from Bard Song.
Good Hope most likely works.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:19 pm

Its_a_jelly wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:56 am
Afaik you dont get random rebuilds for mechanical reasons, like "I screwed up my build". Getting levels removed off your characters for no refund is slightly easier but probably not if you ask for it too frequently.

My only advice to you is to present your lvl 1 stats to the players on discord in the build mechanics channel. You may or may not get a good build from us there but it will surely help you fill in the gaps of the stuff you've missed in the last two years that's relevant to your concept and classes.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Its_a_jelly

Post by Its_a_jelly » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:48 pm

Okay, cool. Thanks for taking the time to give these very informative answers! :)

Its_a_jelly

Post by Its_a_jelly » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:54 pm

AstralUniverse wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:19 pm
My only advice to you is to present your lvl 1 stats to the players on discord in the build mechanics channel. You may or may not get a good build from us there but it will surely help you fill in the gaps of the stuff you've missed in the last two years that's relevant to your concept and classes.
Good idea.

I'm not on Arelith Discord, yet, but I probably should do that. He was a staff using monk/rogue/fighter, so I will have to redo pretty much everything.