Questions regarding trading RP and shops

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

legionetrangere

Questions regarding trading RP and shops

Post by legionetrangere » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:23 pm

Howdy

Few questions regarding trading RP and shops
My toon started a low key trading enterprise called "Great Rift Imports". I would like to know if

1) With the items that were looted from dungeons and npcs, is it possible/allowed to RP them as they were imported from the mainland (Great Rift to be more specific)?
2) The items that were crafted by my toon and his trading buddies, is it possible/allowed to RP them as they were imported from the mainland (Great Rift to be more specific)?
3) is it possible to leave an item with a price, say, 99999. Just to use it as a message carrier such as ( "Welcome to Great Rift Imports etc etc etc")
4) Is it possible/allowed to change an items description to assign them a more specific place of origin (eg "Great Rift Full Plate" or "Great Rift Ring of Spell resistance")

Trading RP is an all new to me, so hence why the questions

PayadorPerseguido

Curve

Re: Questions regarding trading RP and shops

Post by Curve » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:49 pm

I think you can do most anything you want to do. If you think it will be fun then do it. If someone is a prick and wants to call you out on the stuff not being imported, and having been looted/crafted then I guess they can do that too because in fact that is where the things you are selling did come from. I don't see why anyone would want to do that.

So yeah, you can do all the things above.

As an aside, this is how I think about things like that. I ask myself, "What am I gaining from rping X in Y way." In your case I would ask, "What am I gaining from RPing these things as imports rather than as crafted/looted items over RPing my character as a merchant from the great rift who started a merchant company on Arelith?" Sit down with that question and see if it helps your rp or holds your rp back.

Also, I think whatever choice you make it can be cool to make contacts and trade routes "back home" part of your RP just as a little spice. For example when you have to log out don't just say, "Got to go, boys." say, "I must make a meeting with my contact from back home." or "I need to pen a letter to direct some trade back home". Whatever neat ways you can spin that sort of thing do it. There is a thread about just that from a few years back I will see if I can find.

Curve

Post by Curve » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:58 pm

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:08 am

totally fine

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:28 am

Yo can rename your shop - no need for putting an overpriced message in it, as it'd only take up one of the item slots.

legionetrangere

Post by legionetrangere » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:45 pm

Curve wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:49 pm
I think you can do most anything you want to do. If you think it will be fun then do it. If someone is a prick and wants to call you out on the stuff not being imported, and having been looted/crafted then I guess they can do that too because in fact that is where the things you are selling did come from. I don't see why anyone would want to do that.

So yeah, you can do all the things above.

As an aside, this is how I think about things like that. I ask myself, "What am I gaining from rping X in Y way." In your case I would ask, "What am I gaining from RPing these things as imports rather than as crafted/looted items over RPing my character as a merchant from the great rift who started a merchant company on Arelith?" Sit down with that question and see if it helps your rp or holds your rp back.

Also, I think whatever choice you make it can be cool to make contacts and trade routes "back home" part of your RP just as a little spice. For example when you have to log out don't just say, "Got to go, boys." say, "I must make a meeting with my contact from back home." or "I need to pen a letter to direct some trade back home". Whatever neat ways you can spin that sort of thing do it. There is a thread about just that from a few years back I will see if I can find.
Very good tips, specially that last paragraph. Thanks for replying!
"I must make a meeting with my contact from back home." sounds definitely a cooler way to sy goodbye than the usual "gotta rest me weary limbs" lol
-XXX- wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:28 am
Yo can rename your shop - no need for putting an overpriced message in it, as it'd only take up one of the item slots.
I was thinking on using this overpriced item to drop a message with a little history of the company and the motives that drive us. So it can be a little too hefty for a stall name.
My concern is mainly if this will be considered.... i dunno....... abusing the shop system? It'll have a valid reason behind the price 999999 - just so a random toon doesn't go out there and buys it and messes with the store theme. But you know, i'm a law abiding citizen so I want to make sure no laws are being broken here lol

All in all, many thanks for the replies, folks!
PayadorPerseguido

CNS

Post by CNS » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:07 am

With the increase in shop limits I think it's a great idea I'd enjoy reading it on a character.

I can't speak for them but I can't see this falling foul of DMs, you're clearly not abusing a shop for storage or anything just trying to provide something nice.

Blood on my Lips

Post by Blood on my Lips » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:39 pm

legionetrangere wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:23 pm
Howdy

3) is it possible to leave an item with a price, say, 99999. Just to use it as a message carrier such as ( "Welcome to Great Rift Imports etc etc etc")

You could put the description on a legal document or a book instead. Then you can display the information you want to share without anyone thinking that you're using the shop space as storage. It might be more eye-catching as a source of information too, since people may not look at an item they aren't interested in.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:48 pm

The description could also be placed on the item itself, after its main description.

For example:
Sword

This is a sword description.

This product was made with quality etc., and the Great Rift seal on it guarantees nothing but high-skilled craftswork. Or some such fancy words.

I know many players, myself included, enjoy reading custom descriptions on items, so this could be one way of doing it 🙂