Ship rentals

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

TheEssence

Ship rentals

Post by TheEssence » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:52 pm

Two questions:

1) Is it working as intended that if the sign says the ship is available for rent, the option to return it is no longer there after you purchase? (i.e. if the ship is not docked, is not auto-recalled with the new rental, but you have to release, return and buy again)

2) Is it normal that no matter how long the remaining time on your lease, people can recall your ship and claim it?

Asking before crying bug :)

Ty

Adora Ashallin - Back to mainland (Rolled)
Farnese Vannucci - Left the island (Rolled)
Akari Steelcold - Back to Kozakura (Rolled)
Elderith Ashalley - Serving in Celestia (Rolled)

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Re: Ship rentals

Post by ActionReplay » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:41 pm

TheEssence wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:52 pm
Two questions:

1) Is it working as intended that if the sign says the ship is available for rent, the option to return it is no longer there after you purchase? (i.e. if the ship is not docked, is not auto-recalled with the new rental, but you have to release, return and buy again)

2) Is it normal that no matter how long the remaining time on your lease, people can recall your ship and claim it?

Asking before crying bug :)

Ty
The Return Option should always show. If its working or not should be prompted for you.

That being said if its up for sale it should, hopefully, already be Docked? And yes people can claim the ship back if the current owner is offline and there are no people onboard.

The owner should always be able to Return the Ship. If that option didn't show for you, perhaps reload the dialog, they can sometimes be a bit iffy. If what I explained above didn't match what you saw in game, please tell me which ship that was so I can look into it.

TheEssence

Post by TheEssence » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:36 pm

Thankie.
Was the Penny Rose on both issues. First was for sale, but apparently not in Brog. I did buy the lease without checking and once I was owner had all the standard quarter options, but no means to return it.
Once released the return option did show correctly (and worked correctly).
Then I had it docked in Cordor, took a stroll through the city to restock and sell my booty (yaaar! ) and when I was back at the dock ship was not there.
I went to brog to check and someone else had returned and claimed it. I was online all the time, just on different sever (Cordor server).
Thank you for your time!

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:27 pm

TheEssence wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:36 pm
Thankie.
Was the Penny Rose on both issues. First was for sale, but apparently not in Brog. I did buy the lease without checking and once I was owner had all the standard quarter options, but no means to return it.
Once released the return option did show correctly (and worked correctly).
Then I had it docked in Cordor, took a stroll through the city to restock and sell my booty (yaaar! ) and when I was back at the dock ship was not there.
I went to brog to check and someone else had returned and claimed it. I was online all the time, just on different sever (Cordor server).
Thank you for your time!
Interesting. The logic for the [Return Ship] option to appear does not really take into account if the owner is interacting with the sign or someone else. It should just be shown if its a rentable ship, that's it. I suspect the dialog may have scuffed which scripted dialogs do sometimes, if you can try and reproduce it would be interesting.

I'll add a fix so the Ship automatically returns if its bought again, thanks for pointing that out. Lastly since you crossed server you would be considered offline as it only checks the Surface so someone probably snuck it from you :[

I could add so its only possible to return a ship when at least 50% of its duration has passed or something as well as an additional condition. But its kind of a corner-case as its not possible to do a perfect solution for this feature.

Red_Wharf

Post by Red_Wharf » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:55 am

ActionReplay wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:27 pm
Lastly since you crossed server you would be considered offline as it only checks the Surface so someone probably snuck it from you :[
Is it possible to make it check all servers instead of just the Surface one?

TheEssence

Post by TheEssence » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:49 am

Maybe if check online status through servers is too complex, you may think about adding a check like this: if the owner is not online on Surface, on return request you may flag the ship with a timestamp and display a message like "Return request has been forwarded. Try again in X minutes", where X is a fair time for people to be offline\offserver (Dunno... 15 minutes?).
Would also be nice (Not sure how complicated this may be cross-server, if same code for hin messages can be used) to attempt a notify to the current owner that a return has been issued.
Any request to return till current_time-request_time < X will answer "A return request has already been forwarded. Try again in (X-(current_time-request_time)) minutes".
The minute the owner enters the ship, the request_time is cleared and the usual "Ship is in use" message would display instead.
Yaar!

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:21 pm

Got a fix for this