Good/Neutral deities for slime domain?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Skeletor
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Good/Neutral deities for slime domain?

Post by Skeletor » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:40 pm

Not talking about deities for whom the domain isn't restricted, there's plenty of those.
I'm asking, is there a non-awful deity for whom the domain would actually make proper sense, and not just something the cleric went out of their way to research?

Extra info: Rping a cleric of Ghaundaur, and the rituals/tendencies/Divine commands are basically to get sentient beings and coerce them into voluntary jumping down a sacrificial pit to gain power, and killing others deity's clerics, stealing their artifacts. Not sure If I can pull it off, my build is kind of powerful but the whole "destroy them all" rp is not something I can get fully into, as much as I expected.

Actually thinking of reaching a certain lvl and rolling atm, just want to know if I can reinvent this guy somehow.

Thx.

Duchess Says

Re: Good/Neutral deities for slime domain?

Post by Duchess Says » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:46 pm

I would guess not without a bit of gymnastics to justify why. For them to be part of your religion would make you a cleric on the fringe, antisocial and most likely of dubious sanity. Maybe a nature deity of the jungle or someone could justify it, or something else creative.

I would think you could be a good arcanist who studied them as a science or an indifferent druid or shaman who worshipped nature itself and use the ooze stream for summons without being "evil." It's the difference between someone modern day who researches roaches in a lab vs someone who worships at the altar of the Roach Lord. You're in some weird territory, it's hard to be lawful and good.

All that said I don't know that your whole MO has to be to go out and brazenly do those things you say even as a devout cleric... You can work to those ends without constantly confronting other characters all the time. I'd say stick with the character since there's probably a lot of ooze worshippers around right now and maybe you don't have to go it alone.

Skeletor
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Skeletor » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:26 am

ty for the reply that's about how I'm feeling 'bout it.
I guess I'll do it like how Talassans need to be watered-down (No way you can go with their ritual of burning everything with lightning until someone kills you like Talos demands without getting banned either.)

Maybe a less "total annihilation" interpretation of Ghaundaur... I just need to come up with it.

Exordius

Post by Exordius » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:05 am

Could always use the excuse i do for having weird domains, claim to be, or rp as part wizard or a mystic theurge and say that is why you have acid and slime related magic in addition to clerical spells.

Kenji
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Kenji » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:18 am

Oftentimes the "vermins" in our world are scavengers that serve as the cleaner of all things too big for microbes or bacteria to break down. For things like rotten meat or corpses, mother nature would then have scavengers of sizes ranging from flies, cockroaches, rats and all the way to vultures do the janitorial duty. I imagine oozes can easily be a part of that ecosystem in this fantasy world.

One could probably easier justify ooze domain if the cleric approaches its deity and said domain with the mindset of cleaning up carcasses or decaying corpses for the surroundings, be it a field, natural areas, village funerals, or dungeons. The scholarly approach to ooze domain is just as viable, of course.

A cleric of some neutral nature deity could take ooze domain to reduce the dead bodies and remains of a battle field in order to allow the flora and fauna to thrive again without the bloated corpses. It also achieves the prevention of cadaverous undead.

Dr Mantis Toboggan MD

Post by Dr Mantis Toboggan MD » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:04 pm

Just my own musings on the matter.

Going by the lore, Ghaundar is utterly alien in his thoughts and might reward one worshipper for paying lip-service while maiming or consuming one of his most devoted, he even accepts CN characters as clerics, so perhaps you could meet his demands through self sacrifice or through other bizarre rituals of your own creation.

The list of sentient creatures in the Forgotten Realms is also really broad, no reason you can't rope adventurers into aiding you in the capture of a goblin or two before you announce your plans to see them fed to your slimy cohort, might create some fun dilemas.

Amateur Hour

Post by Amateur Hour » Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:39 pm

Throwing in my two cents: ooze could work well for trickster-god clerics, because they're just...weird. It's certainly a little bit mental gymnastics, but they keep the domains pretty open for a reason.

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???