Quarter Security Mechanics

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Cowbot

Quarter Security Mechanics

Post by Cowbot » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:40 am

Hello everyone.

I went to manage my security and I saw trap and door strength as options. However, it is not at all clear what these numbers mean and how they interact with the lock DC.

Does it work like locked chests, where the door has to be both unlocked and disarmed before it can be opened, but the trap only goes off if the person attempts to open the door?

Or does the trap go off when the thief tries to pick the lock and fails?

The Wiki says the maximum is 127, but the dialog box allows you to go higher than that. What is going on there?

What does trap strength and door strength actually mean? The wiki just says "200~" damage. What kind of damage? How does it scale based on the strength number?

neverwinternightly

Re: Quarter Security Mechanics

Post by neverwinternightly » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:27 am

I went to manage my security and I saw trap and door strength as options. What does trap strength and door strength actually mean? The wiki just says "200~" damage. What kind of damage? How does it scale based on the strength number?
Trap strength is just how much damage the trap does every time it triggers. It does not effect how difficult it is to open the door. Just how painful it has the potential to be. I don't know how the damage scales, just that it goes up as you raise trap strength, but they're spike traps I think, so physical damage I'm pretty sure?

Door strength is how difficult the door is to bash. I don't know exactly how that works, but I know high strength characters are the primary concern there, and I don't think bashed in doors is very common?
Does it work like locked chests, where the door has to be both unlocked and disarmed before it can be opened, but the trap only goes off if the person attempts to open the door? Or does the trap go off when the thief tries to pick the lock and fails?
When the thief tries to pick the lock or bash the door without disarming the trap, it will trigger.
The Wiki says the maximum is 127, but the dialog box allows you to go higher than that. What is going on there?
The maximum DC that will hold between resets is 127. You can raise it higher, but it will always fall back down to 127 after the servers reset, so you shouldn't do that.

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:56 pm

I don't think player quarter doors can be smashed or am I wrong?

Also if I recall after a door trap is activated the STR resets to zero correct?

neverwinternightly

Post by neverwinternightly » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:10 pm

The [bash door] option isn’t smashing the door as you’re thinking. It just forces the door open through brute strength.

As for the trap strength, that is untrue. If you max the strength, the trap will stay that way for each activation.

ZeroPointEnergy
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by ZeroPointEnergy » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:57 pm

Every point of trap strength is a d6. It maxes out at 126d6 or something like that. You can get locks higher but it'll reset back to 127 and door strength shouldn't go higher than 81 because not many people are running with +61 str mod.

If you get the full kit and kaboodle with locks, door strength, and traps then you'll be paying at least 20k an ig month for your place.

Also quarter security resets as a gold sink measure when you change quarters. It'll run you about at least 100k to get it up to good standards so make sure you actually want to stay in your place for awhile before doing this.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:28 pm

ZeroPointEnergy wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:57 pm
Every point of trap strength is a d6. It maxes out at 126d6 or something like that. You can get locks higher but it'll reset back to 127 and door strength shouldn't go higher than 81 because not many people are running with +61 str mod.

If you get the full kit and kaboodle with locks, door strength, and traps then you'll be paying at least 20k an ig month for your place.

Also quarter security resets as a gold sink measure when you change quarters. It'll run you about at least 100k to get it up to good standards so make sure you actually want to stay in your place for awhile before doing this.
Are you sure about that? I've had a lot of quarters and when I got them the locks were always maxed. Normally I lower them (remove traps).

ZeroPointEnergy
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by ZeroPointEnergy » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:15 pm

Hazard wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:28 pm
ZeroPointEnergy wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:57 pm

Are you sure about that? I've had a lot of quarters and when I got them the locks were always maxed. Normally I lower them (remove traps).
Yeah, that's definitely a thing or I've just been really unlucky. I've been in some real old quarters that would normally be upgraded to the gills and they reset back to DC 45, 0 trap.

Definately Not A Mimic

Post by Definately Not A Mimic » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:29 pm

It started becoming a thing when the new quarter release mechanic came in. Every time now in getting a new quarter, as far as anything I've seen, your lock and str go back down and it is quite expensive to get them back up to safe numbers.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:54 am

Definately Not A Mimic wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:29 pm
It started becoming a thing when the new quarter release mechanic came in. Every time now in getting a new quarter, as far as anything I've seen, your lock and str go back down and it is quite expensive to get them back up to safe numbers.
I bought a quarter fairly recently, (after the change) and it was heavily upgraded.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Definately Not A Mimic

Post by Definately Not A Mimic » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:26 am

Good to know. The last three, no not all bought by me, had the lock dc dropped at 40 and the str down just as much at least. Maybe a glitch somewhere but three separate ones across three different people seems a pattern? Hard to tell.

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:18 am

Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:26 am
Good to know. The last three, no not all bought by me, had the lock dc dropped at 40 and the str down just as much at least. Maybe a glitch somewhere but three separate ones across three different people seems a pattern? Hard to tell.
I've purchased 4 quarters (3 in Guld/Myon, one in the wilderness) since the update went in, and all 4 have had their DC/STR reset.
what would fred rogers do?

Popkhorne

Post by Popkhorne » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:16 am

Flower Power wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:18 am
Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:26 am
I've purchased 4 quarters (3 in Guld/Myon, one in the wilderness) since the update went in, and all 4 have had their DC/STR reset.
Same experience for me (Sibayad/Sencliff).

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:57 pm

neverwinternightly wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:10 pm
The [bash door] option isn’t smashing the door as you’re thinking. It just forces the door open through brute strength.

As for the trap strength, that is untrue. If you max the strength, the trap will stay that way for each activation.
Oh wow I never knew you could force a door with a STR build. Thanks for the info!

CNS

Post by CNS » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:22 am

Quick guide to qtr security.

Locks - The max you can persistantly set your lock to is 127, which is also the max anyone can get a skill to in NWN. So set your lock to this.

If you really want to be OTT about it you can bump it another point or two every sever reset to make it unbreakable, but this is rather paranoid behaviour.

Traps - Just like chests, you have to deal with the trap to get into the home. You are unlikely to kill anyone but the most wary with your trap, but even if it only does 1 damage, it must still be dealt with, so for security you want to also set the DC as high as possible because you're making sure anyone qtr breaking has locks AND traps which is rarer. How much damage it does is up to you (I think its one of those all or nothing things) but higher damage will really cost you and you're unlikely to do much with it.

Strength - I can't remember the details here but you want about 50 or so I think.

Skarain

Post by Skarain » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:04 pm

I have a vague memory that the STR you want is a score higher than any build can achieve.

Say, a Totem Druid with 39 STR, buffed to 51. It needed to either be higher than that, or that + 20, but don't take my word for it.

Definately Not A Mimic

Post by Definately Not A Mimic » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:33 pm

I was thinking str of 80 but that could be me mixing numbers with something else.

Duchess Says

Post by Duchess Says » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:55 pm

If it’s not possible for any character to ever do why would it even be an option?

Apothys
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Apothys » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:46 pm

Well Red Dragonshape STR 56 +12 buffs = 68 assuming there is a dice roll that's 88

Talandis Tanor'Thal
Kalnafein Cress'delbarra
Tanis Thade
Merklynn Steelshadow II
Gulmyr Dro'Vaalvaz
Aerik Northman

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:18 am

CNS wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:22 am
Quick guide to qtr security.

Locks - The max you can persistantly set your lock to is 127, which is also the max anyone can get a skill to in NWN. So set your lock to this.

If you really want to be OTT about it you can bump it another point or two every sever reset to make it unbreakable, but this is rather paranoid behaviour.

Traps - Just like chests, you have to deal with the trap to get into the home. You are unlikely to kill anyone but the most wary with your trap, but even if it only does 1 damage, it must still be dealt with, so for security you want to also set the DC as high as possible because you're making sure anyone qtr breaking has locks AND traps which is rarer. How much damage it does is up to you (I think its one of those all or nothing things) but higher damage will really cost you and you're unlikely to do much with it.

Strength - I can't remember the details here but you want about 50 or so I think.
setting the trap strength high enough can kill a PC

speaking from personal experience

Kalos

Post by Kalos » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:45 pm

Am I correct that if you 'Force' a door the trap is going off. Or is it like chests, if you cannot get past the 'Trap' you cannot even force it.

Thanks.

Definately Not A Mimic

Post by Definately Not A Mimic » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:06 pm

I think if you try and force your way in, the trap will go off on you. I don't believe that a trap prevents you from trying. I could be very wrong here, it's been a few years but I distinctly recall dead bodies outside doors where they tried to force in.

ZeroPointEnergy
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by ZeroPointEnergy » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:45 pm

If you cannot disable the trap then you can't go in. Most people don't get traps.

Kalos

Post by Kalos » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:58 pm

ZeroPointEnergy wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:45 pm
If you cannot disable the trap then you can't go in. Most people don't get traps.
Ok. That's what I thought. That's why I try to max traps first.

Skarain

Post by Skarain » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:58 pm

Traps do cost more to upkeep than Locks to my knowledge, but since Time flows slower than before, you won't get your quarter bill as often as you used to, so it can be within realms of affordability.

Still, it is directly related to what you try to protect. I've got a quarter with like DC 60 Locks, since the material there is very low value and mostly just heavy to lug around, but cheap/fast to farm. Same 24h thief rules still apply, so at worst they take a partial stack of unprocessed ore.

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:30 pm

Time flows slower but rent was tripled to keep pace with the timescale. There's no effective change apart from having three times as long to collect three times as much rent.
what would fred rogers do?