Big Ol' Warlock Question Thread

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

xanrael

Re: Big Ol' Warlock Question Thread

Post by xanrael » Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:50 pm

Kalopsia wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:23 pm
I'm afraid there will be no grandfathering of pathed warlocks. They are/were quite overtuned and we'd would prefer to focus on existing classes rather than investing even more time in reworking and balancing the old path. Besides, the new class is flexible enough to make most, if not all typical warlock stat spreads work just fine :)
With that in mind can Perform be added to the new warlock skill list? Some of the old warlocks may have taken +6 perform minor gift for disguising which could be a worthless gift for them now. That or just consolidate the minor perform/bluff gift to give a +6 to both.

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Kalopsia » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:07 pm

xanrael wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:50 pm
Kalopsia wrote:
I'm afraid there will be no grandfathering of pathed warlocks. They are/were quite overtuned and we'd would prefer to focus on existing classes rather than investing even more time in reworking and balancing the old path. Besides, the new class is flexible enough to make most, if not all typical warlock stat spreads work just fine :)
With that in mind can Perform be added to the new warlock skill list? Some of the old warlocks may have taken +6 perform minor gift for disguising which could be a worthless gift for them now. That or just consolidate the minor perform/bluff gift to give a +6 to both.
Good call! I'll add that to my list.

Red_Wharf

Post by Red_Wharf » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:20 pm

Kalopsia wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:07 pm
xanrael wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:50 pm
Kalopsia wrote:
Good call! I'll add that to my list.
What about Ride? Nearly all classes have it, with a few exceptions, which is puzzling.

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:21 pm

Is the timer on the epic hag pact eldritch sleep supposed to be so short. It is on a 1 round timer. Half the time you can't even get a spell off afterwards.

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Kalopsia » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:18 am

Red_Wharf wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:20 pm
What about Ride? Nearly all classes have it, with a few exceptions, which is puzzling.
Said exceptions are mostly casters, that's why I've skipped Ride for now :)

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Kalopsia » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:19 am

Archnon wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:21 pm
Is the timer on the epic hag pact eldritch sleep supposed to be so short. It is on a 1 round timer. Half the time you can't even get a spell off afterwards.
It's been extended to a random duration between 1 and 2 rounds in the latest update.

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:33 pm

Kalopsia wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:19 am
Archnon wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:21 pm
It's been extended to a random duration between 1 and 2 rounds in the latest update.
Awesome! I feel so heard. Though, I would always encourage potentially adding 1 round for say, greater spell focus enchantment. Then if you take a 2 feet investment, you are guaranteed at least 2 rounds, which is still not a lot considering your main action takes a full round unless hasted.

Red_Wharf

Post by Red_Wharf » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:01 am

Kalopsia wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:18 am
Red_Wharf wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:20 pm
Said exceptions are mostly casters, that's why I've skipped Ride for now :)
The exceptions are Wizard and Sorcerer, which are encouraged to dip into classes that do have Ride, and Druid too, which doesn't make much sense to me because they love animals and horse is an animal! Everyone else has Ride, even Loremasters do, besides Clerics, Favored Souls, and Harper Mages and so on.

To me, Warlock feels very encouraged to stay pure outside of some synergies with Hexblade. Think of the poor Warlocks who want to be super edgy riding their Nightmares into battle, just like the Night Hags they can pact with, which are known to ride Nightmares (I read it in the Monster Manual I).

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:57 am

Two Questions:

1.) Will the Warlock migration for existing Warlocks allow for a pact change at lvl 1? For example, I've apparently been playing a Fathomless before there was such a thing, using the Abyssal Pact as place holder. I know you can take multiple pacts, but I really don't even want to. So, will the migration allow for lvl 1 pact switching? *fingers crossed*

2.) Are there any summons streams planned for our new pact additions? I loved that we got a Fey stream, but would love love love Fathomless and Star Pacts. I dream of an Aboleth summons!
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:05 pm

Bumpity bump.

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Kalopsia » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:21 pm

RedGiant wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:57 am
Two Questions:

1.) Will the Warlock migration for existing Warlocks allow for a pact change at lvl 1? For example, I've apparently been playing a Fathomless before there was such a thing, using the Abyssal Pact as place holder. I know you can take multiple pacts, but I really don't even want to. So, will the migration allow for lvl 1 pact switching? *fingers crossed*

2.) Are there any summons streams planned for our new pact additions? I loved that we got a Fey stream, but would love love love Fathomless and Star Pacts. I dream of an Aboleth summons!
1) No pact changes, unfortunately. You'll get the pact feat for your former warlock pact.

2) Summon streams are a fair amount of work, balancing them even more so. One day perhaps, but not anytime soon :) I want to focus on refining the features we have, first.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:57 am

How are remakes of existing warlocks handled? Automatic or need DM assistance?

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:15 pm

MRFTW wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:08 am
If we can't be grandfathered, can old warlocks at least get their awards refunded?
Echoing this question even if it's without regaining all the items/gold the character has. Most of us will be shoehorned in Abyssal or Infernal pacts whereas our builds likely fit Undying builds based on statlines.

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Kalopsia » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:35 pm

Jagel wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:57 am
How are remakes of existing warlocks handled? Automatic or need DM assistance?
It's no actual remakes, the script will automatically swap Bard levels with Warlock ones and force a -relevel. Stats and feats remain the same, and you keep your items and level progress :)
Good Character wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:15 pm
MRFTW wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:08 am
If we can't be grandfathered, can old warlocks at least get their awards refunded?
Echoing this question even if it's without regaining all the items/gold the character has. Most of us will be shoehorned in Abyssal or Infernal pacts whereas our builds likely fit Undying builds based on statlines.
No award refunds, unfortunately. The new class is very functional with old warlock stat spreads however. Perhaps your character won't be 100% optimized, but definitely viable. Have a look at the following build for instance:

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:45 pm

The interface on the build calc is so clean, I love looking at it. You're right in that most builds do convert, but some do not.

That said, new warlock is much stronger and more interesting to play so you haven't broken my heart. :)

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:17 pm

Kalopsia
Sweet, thanks

xanrael

Post by xanrael » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:19 pm

- New command: -hideousblow
> This command will cast Hideous Blow on a valid nearby target.
> It will retrigger itself every 3 seconds until combat is over.
Is the character flat-footed in-between these actions?

Could they potentially assist in flanking a target in this mode?

Does the trigger timer depend at all on haste/quicken spell or are you "attacking" at max speed regardless?

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Kalopsia » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:09 pm

xanrael wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:19 pm
- New command: -hideousblow
> This command will cast Hideous Blow on a valid nearby target.
> It will retrigger itself every 3 seconds until combat is over.
Is the character flat-footed in-between these actions?

Could they potentially assist in flanking a target in this mode?

Does the trigger timer depend at all on haste/quicken spell or are you "attacking" at max speed regardless?
All the command does is ensure your action queue remains filled with Hideous Blows aimed at valid targets :)
The actual amount of casts per round still depends on Haste.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:07 am

I may just have lost track of the various overviews of the various pacts but is there i breakdown of the summons an undying pact ‘lock gains access to via eldritch summon?

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Kalopsia » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:43 am

Undying hasn't been assigned a specific stream, so it'll use a stream based on your alignment, but always evil.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:31 pm

Alrighty!

snobby-princess

Post by snobby-princess » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:06 pm

Quick question on deities for a warlock. Do you have to pick a deity in line with your pact? For example if you select Unseelie, do you have to take the one Unseelie deity?

Thank you!
------------------------
Current Character(s): Rivva Glanbryn, Darya Glidemoon
Previous Characters: Yurna Glanbryn

Mister Badhorse

Post by Mister Badhorse » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:30 pm

Short answer, no. You can worship whoever you want as a warlock.

Basically, the warlock is dealing with a triad of influences between their Patron, their god and their own self interest. Of course any or all of them could theoretically align depending on the character concept.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:15 pm

Kalopsia wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:21 pm
RedGiant wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:57 am
Two Questions:

1) No pact changes, unfortunately. You'll get the pact feat for your former warlock pact.

2) Summon streams are a fair amount of work, balancing them even more so. One day perhaps, but not anytime soon :) I want to focus on refining the features we have, first.
So, you said not anytime soon, but then Night Hag Pact got a summons reskin. Could we get same deal for Star and Fathomless? I think this is an awesome work-around.