Disguise Questions

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Aradin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Disguise Questions

Post by Aradin » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:10 pm

These are for the devs.

1) Why does it take a few seconds to turn disguises on and off instead of being instantaneous?
2) Why can you not switch directly from disguise to disguise? Right now you have to turn your current disguise off, then once you're not disguised, activate your other disguise. It feels a bit clunky.
3) What's the mentality behind making a text message pop up to everyone around you that you're trying to disguise yourself? I'm not sure if I agree or disagree with it in terms of meta/roleplay and am interested to know the thinking behind the decision to implement it.

Was Lloyd Grimm, Sai Aung-K'yi, Stink Spellworped, Ikarus, and Revyn the White.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Disguise Questions

Post by The GrumpyCat » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:20 pm

1) Because it takes time to pull the wig off, change outfits, apply the prosthetics, stuff wadding in your cheeks, slip on some higher built up shoes, apply makeup, ect ect - whatever it is your charcter is doing to effectivly change appearence. Even if you want to rp that it's magical, you can presume that the incantation would take a few seconds.

2) Not sure. Maybe this is something that can be implemented in future? When the suggestion forum re-opens feel free to add it.

3) Does that show to everyone? I knew it showed to yourself, and maybe to party members. If it is a yell out to all near by then yes, thats a little odd.. then again if you're eager that people don't know your disguising yourself, you should probably go somewhere private.

EDIT: It sounds to me like you're trying to rp a disguise as more a shapeshift issue? Or a glamour? That's... reasonable by all means. But isn't technically what it is- if it was mundane characters couldn't do it, or it couldn't be done in anti-magic areas.

Disguise is a mundane method of concealing your identity, ideally with some effort. And that takes a little time and visible work. Even switching disguises... I agree it's a little clunky, but it also makes sense that before disgising yourself as Jenny the Thief might not easily be able to switch smoothly from her Hanna the Noblewoman disguise to her Carmin the Barbairan disguise. She'd need to swap out wigs, makeup, tear off clothing ect.. A middle ground period in which her true identity may well be dicerned.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Aradin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aradin » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:34 pm

Gotcha. Thanks for the prompt answers!

Was Lloyd Grimm, Sai Aung-K'yi, Stink Spellworped, Ikarus, and Revyn the White.

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:23 pm

Here's a disguise question I've had for a while:

Is it against the rules or considered bad form to use the -loadoutfit command for your disguises?

Carrying an extra shirt eats away at your carrying capacity slightly and clogs up your inventory.

I could see the argument that a load command is a cop out and that a disguise artist should actually have to carry his disguises. I could see why someone would be bothered by you having epic level armor that changes appearance almost instantly. But I'm not too bothered by it and imagine this as keeping the same armor but throwing robes or dyes on it.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:13 pm

Hrm...

We've never made a call on this. My personal thought is that it's ok - especialy as there's a definate advantage to carrying around a special diguise outfit rather than using -loadoutfit often (that being that you can buy/enchant clothing for bonuses to bluff/perform}

If someone wants to do this mega kudos to them? But I wouldn't consider it such a big deal that I'd look down on it, or consider it an exploit I think.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:22 pm

Loadoutfit is inherently unrealistic, I really don't think it should be looked down on.

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Wethrinea

Post by Wethrinea » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:57 pm

-loadoutfit is a blessing, and in a game where I can carry around umptheen greataxes "in my cloak", I don't see why having what is essentilly advanced predistigation should be frowned upon.

80% of your disguise gear is not your cloth/armor anyway.
Ivar Ferdamann - Mercenary turned Marshall

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:38 pm

As said above, I absolutly agree. -Loadoutfit for disguises is certainly not an exploit, nor is it cheesy. Use away as you will!
This too shall pass.