Crafting god-saves?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Killer on the drive home

Crafting god-saves?

Post by Killer on the drive home » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:42 pm

I'm having trouble understanding what the wiki means.

Does this mean, if you roll low enough you won't get a godsave, or if based on your skill, you only ever had a 5% chance of success at crafting something?
Unwanted, too slow
Sent to the world below

Good Character

Re: Crafting god-saves?

Post by Good Character » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:06 am

What the "Non-5%" chance translates to is rolling a 1, a critical failure. You will never get a godsave on that for crafting.

Now, say the DC is 20 for Tailoring. You have a single point in Tailoring. That means rolls of 2-18 won't guarantee a 100% success rate in making an item. However, failing that roll will allow a godsave attempt to be made to let you pass that roll.

The theory is the higher your piety, the more consistent the godsave and the better your chances of forcing one on low crafting rolls (i.e. 10% success). Always do important crafting or dweomercrafting at 100% piety.

Killer on the drive home

Post by Killer on the drive home » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:04 pm

Good Character wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:06 am
What the "Non-5%" chance translates to is rolling a 1, a critical failure. You will never get a godsave on that for crafting.

Now, say the DC is 20 for Tailoring. You have a single point in Tailoring. That means rolls of 2-18 won't guarantee a 100% success rate in making an item. However, failing that roll will allow a godsave attempt to be made to let you pass that roll.

The theory is the higher your piety, the more consistent the godsave and the better your chances of forcing one on low crafting rolls (i.e. 10% success). Always do important crafting or dweomercrafting at 100% piety.
Thank you very much.
Unwanted, too slow
Sent to the world below

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:47 pm

Killer on the drive home wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:04 pm
Good Character wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:06 am

Thank you very much.
I should also add that trying to craft an item with a DC far beyond any reasonable success (i.e. tailoring 50 vs. your 1 point in it), which would say 5% chance (to account for a 20, which is an automatic success) would also not force a godsave.

To simplify, it must say 10% or higher to force a godsave.

Killer on the drive home

Post by Killer on the drive home » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:05 pm

So essentially, you need to be within 2 skill points of a successful roll on item's dc to get a godsave is the impression I'm getting.
Unwanted, too slow
Sent to the world below

Darkstorn42
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Darkstorn42 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:36 pm

Its very straight forward.
nat 1 = auto-failure no god save
nat 20 = auto-success no god-save
2-19 and still failed = chance for god save which gives auto success.

God saves can be used for any DC item. You can start a DC 50 project with only a rank of 1, but you can still roll a nat 1, and also 100% piety doesn't mean 100% chance for god save.

On Server Hiatus
Izahne Tiller - (Shelved)
Maile Aylomen
Zuulanii Ironblood
Ukyo Kuonji