Missing one hand

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Cabarcos
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Missing one hand

Post by Cabarcos » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:52 pm

I've tried several times Parry with different characters and I'love it.
With the last one I was using usually only a one handed sword.
I've made a new character, again: oops:, and decided that a good reason for only using one will be that his left hand is missing.
In the armor design the hand can be changed for a hook and there are ranged weapons like darts and throwing knives that can be used one handed.
He also limps, so he usually doesn't run because it's a bit hard and hurts.

Is there any rule about that, having characters with physical problems?

Being a follower of Tyr the Even-Handed, gave me the idea about the missing hand, when reading again about him.

Curve

Re: Missing one hand

Post by Curve » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:58 pm

I have never heard of such a rule and I’ve seen such done. I think your golden.

Echohawk
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Echohawk » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:53 pm

So you can do this one of two ways, you could individually color the arm/hand that's not in use to be something more wooden/metal to give the impression that 'this hand is not in use'.

Second way of doing this is if you can ping the DM's attention, they can bring you into a character editing room where you interact with a model and use the appearance 0 for your designated hand. You then will be able to copy that appearance back to yourself and be returned to continue play.

The latter will depend on if the DM is willing to grant it or not though.
Arelith Discord: https://discord.gg/mAm8M3T
Echohawk#0623
Availability - Whenever, Sweden (GMT+1)

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:08 pm

There is no rule against it. Go for it.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Cabarcos
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cabarcos » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:55 am

I'm still playing with this character, back after some time away.
I'm having a lot of fun with him.
He is more than used to his left missing hand, so it doesn't worry him at all.
Just for coherence, and to know how to answer if someone asks him about it in-game, how hard it's to regrow a missing limb?
I suppose it will not be easy at all, but a powerful cleric or druid will be able to do it.
I've used several times the Monstrous Regeneration spell for the Battlemedic Armor. The more powerful Regenerate spell is able to regrow missing limbs I think.
Regenerate, Greater (3.5e Spell): "As you finish casting this spell, the flesh and bones of your allies knit together, lost arms grow back and stand ready to fight again."
It's hard to maintain a clear perspective, at least for me, taking into account that characters can be very powerful, almost as lesser gods.

Void

Post by Void » Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:05 am

Cabarcos wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:55 am
I'm still playing with this character, back after some time away.
I'm having a lot of fun with him.
He is more than used to his left missing hand, so it doesn't worry him at all.
Just for coherence, and to know how to answer if someone asks him about it in-game, how hard it's to regrow a missing limb?
I suppose it will not be easy at all, but a powerful cleric or druid will be able to do it.
I've used several times the Monstrous Regeneration spell for the Battlemedic Armor. The more powerful Regenerate spell is able to regrow missing limbs I think.
Regenerate, Greater (3.5e Spell): "As you finish casting this spell, the flesh and bones of your allies knit together, lost arms grow back and stand ready to fight again."
It's hard to maintain a clear perspective, at least for me, taking into account that characters can be very powerful, almost as lesser gods.
Normally, regenerate could regrow any lost limbs, but (IIRC) in some cases in lore there were situations when the limb could not be restored. That normally involves dealing with very powerful curses.

In PNP regrowing a limb is fairly hard, because it requires a very high level spell. Level 6 for healer, level 7 for cleric, level 9 for druid.
In arelith any healer could cast it however.

Regarding lesser gods, in world like arelith I would expect gods to be of level 60 or higher.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

Sincra
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by Sincra » Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:28 am

You can treat regenerate as though it only regrows what your mental image of the body is.
If your mental image no longer includes that limb? Then it may well not regrow.
Irongron wrote:I've literally never used -guard on anyone.

Cabarcos
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cabarcos » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:59 pm

Sincra wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:28 am
You can treat regenerate as though it only regrows what your mental image of the body is.
If your mental image no longer includes that limb? Then it may well not regrow.
I like that, thanks. And it makes sense, because he doesn't even remember having it.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:35 pm

I think that's really cool. I hope to bump into your character!