Travel Domain

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

smiley trashbag

Travel Domain

Post by smiley trashbag » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:05 pm

I was wondering if this was accurate. It seems a bit weird, showing Freedom of Movement and Haste twice. I'm pretty sure that's just when they're naturally in the cleric's spellbook.

Right now, the benefits I see for travel are: Out of combat movespeed, expiditious retreat, slow, freedom of movement and haste 1 level early, and level 8 Maze. Is this correct? I could be wrong, but it just seems incredibly lacking in power when compared to all these other domains, many of which add 8 spells to the spellbook.

Edit: Yeah, right now, travel domain has haste in its spellbook three times, and freedom of movement in its spellbook three times. Versatility is, I suppose nice, but this is distinctly weak.

Skarain

Re: Travel Domain

Post by Skarain » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:16 am

Well, what else would be given? Mass Haste would take away from Arcane caster niche. Free teleport would probably be too strong. Climb/Sail/Ride bonuses could be considered.

That's all that springs to my mind.
Last edited by Skarain on Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Skibbles » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:01 am

I don't think it's that weak compared to some of the others. Vanilla travel domain's normal haste competed for the most desperately needed spell slots on a (battle)cleric, so having some wiggle room especially in the higher tiers that often have very little use is a nice boon.

I don't know how much move speed the non-combat bonus is, but if it's anything like the Ranger it is very very nice.

Mass haste would just be way too OP. Same with teleport.

To echo Skarain: what else should there really be?
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

Skarain

Post by Skarain » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:12 am

Indeed. Battletide ( https://nwn.fandom.com/wiki/Battletide ) shares the spell level with Haste, which is a +2 Magic damage, +2 AB and +2 all Saves. Same as a debuff to nearby enemies, so effectively +2 AC if they fail their save. Last rounds/level, so as long as Haste.

Sure, it is not as "Flashy" as, say, Elemental Swarm, but more Haste is good.

For a "Caster Cleric", packing more Haste for your summon or the Weaponmaster you pair with isn't bad either. "Traveling" does take a lot of our time with this game, so any time you can be running faster - all the better for you.
Skibbles wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:01 am
I don't know how much move speed the non-combat bonus is, but if it's anything like the Ranger it is very very nice.
It shows when you click the Domain open in wiki.

Bonus Abilities:
Automatically gains +20% movement speed aura while out of combat at 18th Cleric level
• Applies to all nearby party members and animal companions, summons, etc. Will not stack with Barbarian, Monk or Ranger movement speed bonuses.

Skibbles

Post by Skibbles » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:46 am

Skarain wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:12 am
Bonus Abilities:
Automatically gains +20% movement speed aura while out of combat at 18th Cleric level
• Applies to all nearby party members and animal companions, summons, etc. Will not stack with Barbarian, Monk or Ranger movement speed bonuses.
This is simply excellent if you want to, you know, travel a lot.

I've been playing Ranger a whole lot and that boost is just so nice when exploring the world. It's one feature of Ranger I adore and I'm happy to see it shared to other classes. Whatever gets characters out seeing Arelith!

It sounds as though the travel domain does it one better since it presumably functions in urban or 'non-natural' settings.

To add conclusion: travel domain isn't an autopick anymore, but I think it isn't weak either. Seems in a good spot.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

smiley trashbag

Post by smiley trashbag » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:13 am

The issues seems to be options being too strong, and I can agree with that after thinking for a while. I don't really find it a good idea to give them mass haste, because of the reasons stated above. As for more haste, between extended and regular length spells on a battle or caster cleric, and with magic items vying for hotbar slots too, fitting four different hastes on your hotbar sounds kind of tough. It is nice that I can pick which hastes I want where, and I didn't see how big the travel bonus was before.

wulfburk

Post by wulfburk » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:37 pm

Skibbles wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:46 am
It sounds as though the travel domain does it one better since it presumably functions in urban or 'non-natural' settings.
It doesnt, its the same speed bonus as rangers, only outside and in the wild.

Like others have said, mass haste would be overblown. But, though its unlikely, haste being 2 rounds per level (instead of one) for travel domain would be cool and not too OP i think. Are people really adding 3 different (in terms of spell level) hastes in their spellbook? There is just so many quickslot without doing that already.... So you have the versatility to choose which one, but you'll remain with "just" the 5 or 6 haste casts at most.

Outside of that the only additions to the domain that might be fitting is the Wilderness Map Ranger feature (Revisiting a wilderness areas will auto-reveal that wilderness area map) or nature sense (+2ab on wilderness), though adding these has the drawback of taking some uniqueness from rangers.

Stratonike Silvbriga
Archamus Schelen
Demetrius Herhtov

Skarain

Post by Skarain » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:55 pm

The map exploration is already available via Loremaster via Secretof Explorer. To Travel and To Explore are slightly different.

ElvenEdibles

Post by ElvenEdibles » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:27 am

Skarain wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:16 am
Well, what else would be given? Mass Haste would take away from Arcane caster niche.
You could make Mass Haste a level 9 spell. Wizards and Sorcerer's will still have a better version 100% of the time.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:38 pm

ElvenEdibles wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:27 am
Skarain wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:16 am
Well, what else would be given? Mass Haste would take away from Arcane caster niche.
You could make Mass Haste a level 9 spell. Wizards and Sorcerer's will still have a better version 100% of the time.
Mostly a fan of travel domain as is, but I would second this and even trade this out for "Maze" in a heartbeat. Arcane classes keep their niche, travel gets a worthwhile cookie, and maze...which is kind of a gimmick IMO...gets swapped out for something we might actually use once in awhile.
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

ElvenEdibles

Post by ElvenEdibles » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:00 pm

I prefer it to Maze too. An implementation of Dimension Door would be nifty as well.

Spriggan Bride

Post by Spriggan Bride » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:10 pm

Maze is like Otto's Dance, you'll cast it maybe once to see what it does or as a joke or to annoy someone then probably never use it again. I actually do love funny and weird spells like that but they're the Spencer's Gifts of the Arelith spellbook mall and not anything of real value. Another high level spells would be nice I suppose (not that I have any intentions of playing a travel cleric)

ReverentBlade

Post by ReverentBlade » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:02 am

I dunno, will save vs loading screen crash is pretty good.

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:35 pm

If someone could maze themself and be able to stay in the maze indefinitely it'd be pretty great. Even better if somewhere in the maze was an exit portal. The ultimate escape meetings spell.