True names and messengers

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

toftdal

True names and messengers

Post by toftdal » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:52 pm

So, I was wondering:

When you have the first three-four letters of a character's name - you can (mostly) send a messenger to that character. But, the messenger gives you the full name for you to check you got the right Xun'viir... Now, does this mean that you now have the name for scrying-purposes or is this considered an OOC check?

Curve

Re: True names and messengers

Post by Curve » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:28 pm

Are you asking if it is okay to give the last name of a house to the speedy messenger and use all the names that are given as options as in character justification for scrying? Like I say to the goblin, Smith knowing ooc that there are 15 characters with the surname Smith and now I am able to use all those names to scry? That is bad meta gaming. It is no different than doing it with the transfer function of the banks. Full on cheese.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:49 pm

Honestly id want a full first name at least, learned legitimately, to scry someone. When in doubt ask yourself if someone did this to you would you be definitely ok with it?
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

toftdal

Post by toftdal » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:28 pm

Ah - you cleared up what I should have asked, Grumpy - I thought you had to have the complete name to scry, not just the first name. Cheers.