Is this considered an exploit?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Ping14
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Ping14 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:27 am

A character with either Brew potion, Scribe scroll and/or craft wand
With enough WIS modifier to have access to higher circle spells

Taking the minimal levels that grants divine spell casting for classes (Ranger or Paladin Level 4; Druid or Cleric Level 1)
Then using items with bonus spell slot 3, 4, 5, 6 for the said classes, and using the spell to craft wand/scribe scroll/brew potion?

Why ask? Because I am about to do just that on my next few levels and wanted to see what the community/DMs opinion about it.
Tested it on PGCC, it works wonders with Craft wand feat being changed to what it is right now.

There's also this Tribal Barbarian 24/Cleric 3/Druid 3 in my head with brew potion feat
Cleric: Magic Vestment, Negative energy protection
Sun Domain: Bless Weapon
Travel Domain: Haste, Freedom of Movement
Druid: Stoneskin, Barkskin
Last edited by Ping14 on Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skarain

Re: Is this considered an exploit?

Post by Skarain » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:57 am

Interesting...

Does it work even so that.... you have 3 cleric, access to 1st and 2nd level spells by default. With bonus spell slots, can you also prepare 3rd and 4th lvl spells? And subsequently make them to potions and wands?

I am no dev, but you are sacrificing feats and mechanical viability for a crafting gimmick, which to be frank is probably one of the lesser things you could mechanically leverage, least if we follow the powerbuilding discussion.

Also, the number of charges of wand is affected by your caster level in a class. It is a bit frontlosded, so a 3 cleric wands do not suck, but you can't make wands with 45 charges or so, just.... 25-35 i think.

Ping14
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Ping14 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:06 am

Skarain wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:57 am
Interesting...

Does it work even so that.... you have 3 cleric, access to 1st and 2nd level spells by default. With bonus spell slots, can you also prepare 3rd and 4th lvl spells? And subsequently make them to potions and wands?

I am no dev, but you are sacrificing feats and mechanical viability for a crafting gimmick, which to be frank is probably one of the lesser things you could mechanically leverage, least if we follow the powerbuilding discussion.

Also, the number of charges of wand is affected by your caster level in a class. It is a bit frontlosded, so a 3 cleric wands do not suck, but you can't make wands with 45 charges or so, just.... 25-35 i think.
Yes, you can prepare spells if you have the WIS needed for it (IE: WIS 14 for 4th circle spells), this only works for divine spell classes that requires memorization. Spontaneous ones won't give you any, and for wizard, you need to Learn the spell, which is not possible without really exploiting the -relevel system.

And with the build above, you won't be selling them anyway, you'll be using them yourself. Gimmicky wands/scrolls that can only improve tribal warriors are hard to come by (Magic vestment, Bless weapon, Divine based Shadow conjuration, Good Hope)
Last edited by Ping14 on Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Void

Post by Void » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:12 am

Ping14 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:27 am

Taking the minimal levels that grants divine spell casting for classes (Ranger or Paladin Level 4; Druid or Cleric Level 1)
Then using items with bonus spell slot 3, 4, 5, 6 for the said classes, and using the spell to craft wand/scribe scroll/brew potion?

Why ask? Because I am about to do just that on my next few levels and wanted to see what the community/DMs opinion about it.
Tested it on PGCC, it works wonders with Craft wand feat being changed to what it is right now.

There's also this Tribal Barbarian 24/Cleric 3/Druid 3 in my head with craft wand feat
Tested it. I'd say that unless staff/devs say otherwise, this one is DEFINITELY an exploit. Because you're casting spells you shouldn't have any access to.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:36 am

Ping14 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:27 am

There's also this Tribal Barbarian 24/Cleric 3/Druid 3 in my head with craft wand feat
It seems perfectly legit and within the rules. I reckon using spell slots items has been a leveling strategy since the dawn of time (walking around with a dire spider as a lvl 3 cleric for example). I see no reason why crafting wands and using them would be considered an exploit or questionable IC in any way.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:51 pm

One of my favourite ways to get the first couple of levels out of the way if I'm a caster is to dweomer a 3rd level spell slot onto a belt. It costs under 1000g and is a very good value-for-money way to use that loan from the bank.

In principle, I feel like OP's idea is the same in principle, if taken to an extreme. I am interested in if this is ok or not.

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Skibbles » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:07 pm

This has always been something divine classes can do, and to my knowledge I don't think it's ever been considered exploiting. Like mentioned above it can be helpful to throw like a level 3 Ranger slot on your level 5 Ranger's belt for quick access to blade thirst well ahead of schedule.

However you're also taking it to the next level by basing a build around it, and that might be something to consider.

It doesn't sound like you've suddenly unlocked some insane meta, although you might make some good money owning a shop, so I doubt it's really a big deal.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:38 pm

This is not an exploit. One of the reasons the selections of gears that provide spell slots specifically are not level-bound to allow a low level player with enough of the casting stat to cast those spells. This point is further proven by the fact that there is some level-locked gear with spell slots but they have other properties that make them far too strong specifically to low-level players (i.e. Invoker's Garments offering spell clutch).