Animal Domain

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

RedGiant

Animal Domain

Post by RedGiant » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:04 am

To continue my nit-picking of largely positive updates.

Animal Domain
6. Polymorph Self /CHANGED INTO/ Awaken

Why?

This spell functions only on animal companions. Clerics don't have animal companions.

Edit: And before someone says...but they might multi-class!!! In what situation will a cleric of sufficient level to actually cast this spell so gimp themselves as to multi-class sufficiently into druid and/or ranger to get an animal companion worth buffing? This spell requires 11 cleric levels, so the absolute max level said cleric could multi-class for an animal companion would be 19 on a highly unrecommended cleric 11/druid or ranger 19.

Again, please reconsider. Polymorph self is an established power of the domain.
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

Red Ropes

Re: Animal Domain

Post by Red Ropes » Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:35 pm

Very simple: Awaken is going to be changed, alongside animal empathy, and various other animal interactable spells/effects to work on all animals, summons, companions, and henchmen.

Polymorph in PnP for the Animal Domain, which I think it does have based on my fading boomer memory- only allows you to turn into animal shapes. The only animal shape it allows on Arelith is a Spider, which, is more under our Vermin Domain. It's also a useless meme spell.

Effectively I took one meme spell and replaced it with another with the (near future) change that will make it nicer. Also will probably try to figure out where to put Greater Magic Fang in there (and probably similar with Vermin) so you can buff animal summons and creatures you've AE'd or dominated.

Cheers, happy holidays, and also one small bit of advice:

stop making doomsday requests that are neither feedback, bug reports, or things that are suggestions (that forum section is still locked!)

you clearly have good intentions but a lot of your posts seem to be focused around mechanical changes and go off into emotional arguments, if you want to have a dialogue be more respectful and ground arguments in facts. Not "change is bad", present a reason why what was done may be an issue.
🤡

Sombricimos

Post by Sombricimos » Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:53 pm

I just want to add that no side note was provided as to why Awaken was added, it got my brain bögged a bit too.

That being said, are there any available insights about how it will impact Rangers that rely on Awaken regularly with the newly added feats, to avoid a further "My build is ruined I'm leaving REEEEE" thread?

Red Ropes

Post by Red Ropes » Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:31 pm

Ranger feats is another department but when I was looking at them it seems to provide some additional benefits when you cast that spell.
🤡

Sombricimos

Post by Sombricimos » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:00 pm

Correct, what I meant to ask is if these bonus from feats will be maintained in their current form after the Awaken update or not, though maybe it's too early for you to say/know

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:19 am

Red Ropes wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:35 pm
Very simple: Awaken is going to be changed, alongside animal empathy, and various other animal interactable spells/effects to work on all animals, summons, companions, and henchmen.

Polymorph in PnP for the Animal Domain, which I think it does have based on my fading boomer memory- only allows you to turn into animal shapes. The only animal shape it allows on Arelith is a Spider, which, is more under our Vermin Domain. It's also a useless meme spell.

Effectively I took one meme spell and replaced it with another with the (near future) change that will make it nicer. Also will probably try to figure out where to put Greater Magic Fang in there (and probably similar with Vermin) so you can buff animal summons and creatures you've AE'd or dominated.

Cheers, happy holidays...
This information is a literal game-changer. Awesome!

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:57 pm

Any update on this rework?

Kenji
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Kenji » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:36 am

This is not a priority but I will likely be the one to introduce this change. The details still need to be hammered out and with the recent changes to animal empathy, it is likely the Awaken spell can't be just kept as is and apply the bonuses to the newly minted henchmen from AE.