Earthkin Defender

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Kalthariam

Earthkin Defender

Post by Kalthariam » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:17 am

So, I hope this is the right spot for this, if it's not, my apologies.

I have a question in regards to why Earthkin Defender doesn't include Kobolds?

It seems to be completely centralized around Small Races
It has a lawful alignment requirement (Which kobolds lean lawful)
It allows races that are naturally "Not good" to take
And all of the races that are allowed to be Earthkin defenders seem to be centered around the type of races that are well.. more grounded?

Kobolds as a species are pretty crafty, and many many kobolds on Arelith function quite easily in heavy armor without much issue. They also generally are fairly high on affinity towards the earth itself with them generally living in large dug out and mined out warrens. They also would have the discipline needed to hold the line if they needed to (Kobolds will defend their kin to their deaths pretty often, especially when commanded to by their superiors)

I'm just not really seeing why Kobolds, as a small mostly lawful race aren't allowed to be Earthkin defenders.

DM Monkey
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Earthkin Defender

Post by DM Monkey » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:10 am

Kobolds are not earthkin.

Try harder! Help set a good example of roleplay for the server culture.

Kalthariam

Post by Kalthariam » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:52 am

I guess I just don't understand why this class is limited only to Earthkin?

Kobolds share most of the traits associated with the class with other races that are allowed to be the class, and it's one of the few actual tank-like classes it feels, just seems really odd that it'd so restrictive.

Nothing about the abilities of the class screams "Dwarf, Gnome, and Hin" to me, or "Only a dwarf, hin or gnome could possibly do this."

DM Monkey
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by DM Monkey » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:02 am

It's the Dwarven Defender PrC, which has already been extended to include Halflings and Gnomes because on Arelith they are within the Earthkin Alliance. I believe it's like this as both an inclusive and setting-appropriate extension of the base PrC.

Try harder! Help set a good example of roleplay for the server culture.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:06 am

If kobolds should have any unique PRC it should be a Kobold Commando class, since that's more fitting to their racial identity of being sneaky, ingenious trapmakers and guerilla fighters. NOT stalwart lineholders who never break.

Sincra
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by Sincra » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:17 am

Kobolds already get RDD. They don't need two skateboards in this cool school.
Irongron wrote:I've literally never used -guard on anyone.

Kalthariam

Post by Kalthariam » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:27 am

I see.

Seems like it's the only real tank class in the setting, outside of just jacking your AC through the roof or piling on a ton of HP and hoping for the best.

Just unfortunate that it's racially locked behind races that I'm not interested in. Oh well. Just figured I'd ask, as the class didn't really stand out and scream to me "Dwarf, gnome hin" but "Disciplined short races standing against a hostile onslaught"

Thanks for answering the question.

Skarain

Post by Skarain » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:22 pm

Kobolds are though stereotypically small and feeble, who rely much more on traps and cunning than "holding the line". Crossbows from murderholes. Still, I can understand the wish to pursue such a fantasy.

Protection Knight, Paladin with Defensive oath, plus DR stacking might be the closest you can get with a Kobold.

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:49 pm

Kalthariam wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:27 am
Just unfortunate that it's racially locked behind races that I'm not interested in. Oh well. Just figured I'd ask, as the class didn't really stand out and scream to me "Dwarf, gnome hin" but "Disciplined short races standing against a hostile onslaught"
Dwarven defenders are an existing identity in Faerun D&D lore since edition 3. Due to developed IG alliances, the dwarves of Brogendenstein extended their traditions and defense-oriented training to their two nearest allies, the halflings and gnomes.

Sincra
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by Sincra » Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:31 am

Gnomes also traditionally have an equivalent, the Breach Gnome.
Irongron wrote:I've literally never used -guard on anyone.