improved Deowmer feat

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

louballic2

improved Deowmer feat

Post by louballic2 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:00 am

I noticed there is an improved deowmer feat - allowing tier two magics.
I also notice that it requires worshipping a good with the knowledge and invention aspect.
But i have also spoken to players who have said it is not possible to make anything other than tier one.
So if i change to a deity say Oghma (with knowledge and invention aspect) and take the improved deowmer feat - will i be able to enchant to +2 -- or are the other players correct?

Wethrinea

Re: improved Deowmer feat

Post by Wethrinea » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:04 am

If you are a class that gets magic tiers from levels, you are much better off taking craft wand, brew potion or scribe scroll instead. If you are a mundane character, you are much better off taking SF: craft mastery and 10 or 20 ranks in craft mastery.

I'm not at all sure what niche the improved dweomer feat actually serve.
Ivar Ferdamann - Mercenary turned Marshall

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Skibbles » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:03 pm

It's a pretty dated feat that was probably meant to provide an alternative to using skill points for mundane characters, but never quite overcome the loss of a feat.

Now that the skill point overhaul has come and gone it might be better suited to removal to keep it from trapping new players.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

Barkoneus

Post by Barkoneus » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:43 pm

Heavy fighter builds (lots of feat, not so many skill points) could probably make good use of it. Tier 3 with 10 skill points and 2 feats.

Maybe the description should read "Only take this if you've already taken SF: Craft Mastery and really know what you are doing"

Grag Krgh

Post by Grag Krgh » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:17 pm

I don't really understand how this work. Arelith wiki said something like this:
One Magic Tier is gained for each of the following:
-12 levels of Cleric/Healer, Druid...
-21 levels of Bard, Hexblade...

so, i have normally 1 tier but when i reach 12 level of druid i have 2 tier?

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:11 pm

Grag Krgh wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:17 pm
I don't really understand how this work. Arelith wiki said something like this:
-12 levels of Cleric/Healer, Druid...
-21 levels of Bard, Hexblade...

so, i have normally 1 tier but when i reach 12 level of druid i have 2 tier?
Correct.

The feats provide non-casting classes the ability to enchant. However, as mentioned about the Skills update provided most classes +1 skillpoint per level. The spare point can now just be used to boost your Craft Mastery to 30 which provides Tier 3 once you're level 21.

Technically you'll hit Tier 3 through Craft Mastery at level 27 (4 points at level 1 then 26 points between 2-27).

Grag Krgh

Post by Grag Krgh » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:58 pm

http://wiki.nwnarelith.com/Dweomercraft
-21 levels of Bard...
-Palemaster, Harper and Zhentarim levels are added to their primary class. For example, Bard PMs get tiers from bard levels not Wizard levels

I have 10 Bard, 13 Pale Master. This give me 23 levels and i should get 2 tier right? But i have still 1 tier. I checked with Deowmer pool and -date command.

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:41 am

Grag Krgh wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:58 pm
http://wiki.nwnarelith.com/Dweomercraft
-21 levels of Bard...
-Palemaster, Harper and Zhentarim levels are added to their primary class. For example, Bard PMs get tiers from bard levels not Wizard levels

I have 10 Bard, 13 Pale Master. This give me 23 levels and i should get 2 tier right? But i have still 1 tier. I checked with Deowmer pool and -date command.
21 levels of Bard provides you Tier 1. 28 provides you Tier 2. Currently what's showing is correct; you should be Tier 1.

Ping14
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Ping14 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:06 pm

Skibbles wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:03 pm
It's a pretty dated feat that was probably meant to provide an alternative to using skill points for mundane characters, but never quite overcome the loss of a feat.

Now that the skill point overhaul has come and gone it might be better suited to removal to keep it from trapping new players.
I took this to avoid the +3 crafting skill. xD... I want to see my zeroes on remaining crafting points.
(or does it work so that I can invest in 17 in craft mastery with SF: Craft Mastery, giving the +3, making it 20... jumping from tier 1 straight to tier 3. If that's a case, then call me stupid for missing out on 3 skill points.)

Grag Krgh

Post by Grag Krgh » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:07 pm

What is difference? level 21 bard have tier 1 and level 20 have tier 0?
Becouse even 1 lvl character can enchant for +1 in dweomer pool. And 21 bard still have +1 (strength, dex)
or maybe i dont understand something?

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:39 pm

Grag Krgh wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:07 pm
What is difference? level 21 bard have tier 1 and level 20 have tier 0?
Becouse even 1 lvl character can enchant for +1 in dweomer pool. And 21 bard still have +1 (strength, dex)
or maybe i dont understand something?
Any character can add stat modifiers to their equipment. Dweomercrafting tiers reduce the cost which in the end allow you to apply stronger and more modifiers to your equipment. For an example, a common set-up for equipment made by a Tier 3 dweomercrafter is:
+1 Universal Save
+2 Discipline
+2 Spellcraft
+1 Strength
+1 Constitution

Even a Tier 2 dweomercrafter is incapable of creating that without multiple hard 5% rolls.

Also, Tier 2 and 3 allow you to apply +2 skill modifiers rather than just +1; examples of a skill modifier are like: +2 Discipline, +2 Ride, +2 Concentration, +2 Spellcraft.