Seeking a bit of path-plotting help.

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Seeking a bit of path-plotting help.

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:08 am

As quick of a preface as I can make - when I suddenly find myself with all my free time back at the end of February/beginning of March, I have a vault full of characters I have to relevel. This is not the part I need help with! It's been awhile. Most of the characters who knew the ones whose stories I never felt I got to bring to a full close are gone (most, not all), and having to re-level presents me with an opportunity.

My goal is to bring myself back up to level 6 on my True Flame, and then visit one unique dungeon with an IC'ly acquired group (which will hopefully lead to repeat encounters) for each level I take. This means I won't be able to click on my portrait to apply items in the middle of combat, but I'm already playing an AoE mage, and I'm comfortable with having to be on point with my targeting.

I could just level myself back up to epics, but... where's the fun in that? :idea:

Going on adventures and experiencing an actual sense of risk together is, IMO, essential to building some of the strongest bonds between (adventuring) characters. There are plenty of non-PvE avenues of RP where these bonds can be furthered, but in a social group that is willing to burn buffs to spend extra time RP'ing on runs, actually being level six through whatever, mechanically, and running the same risk of dying alongside the people you're fighting with is meaningful in a very visceral way that we don't have to reach far for to rationalize IC.

I've had plenty of moments where my heartbeat spiked as something goes very wrong in combat, and that flood of relief when everyone manages to come out the other side intact is irreplaceable - I would go so far as to say these moments where you rely on each other for your IC lives are particularly vital to the formation of non-antagonistic relationships between otherwise opposing philosophical concepts.

TL;DR
So... my question is, can I visit 18 unique dungeons in a level-challenge appropriate order, starting from level 6? I don't need to know the locations, I just need to be reminded they exist and what level I should go at - going out and having to 'rediscover' them is also part of the fun, but it helps to organize a group if you know where you want to go.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Seeking a bit of path-plotting help.

Post by Skibbles » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:57 am

Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:08 am
Going on adventures and experiencing an actual sense of risk together is, IMO, essential to building some of the strongest bonds between (adventuring) characters.
I could not agree more!

The immediate question that comes to mind is: Surface, or Underdark (or will you be able to do both without getting killed)?

You might level too fast to really meet the challenge, and may have to dig into dungeons a bit below your level, but I think it's possible if you visit places that you don't necessarily have a writ for.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:18 am

Let's say Surface, Planes, and perhaps towards epics some well-prepared-for-escape expeditions down to the UD. With that said, will go anywhere if the hook is good enough to merit the risk. (Sun-elf, Caster, and faerzress, though, so that needs to be one shiny lookin' hook.)

Writs are a non-factor in my plans - they exist, and I might pick one up some day, but I could count on one hand how many writs I've ever done and have fingers leftover, so there's that. Fortunately, I don't really need adventure or writ xp in this case, and the characters in question have Gift of Wealth, anyway, so with copious amounts of free time I expect gold will mostly be a non-issue.

Also, pretty please nowhere where the majority of monsters are completely immune to magic. SR is fine so long as it isn't ridiculously over the level range's achievable mark.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Skibbles

Post by Skibbles » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:48 am

Most of my experience on surface lately has been at 30 so it's hard to figure the difficulty of this path but there's huge amounts of content starting in Arelith forest and making your way to minmir then up to the gap of aeons and the battlefield area, and then doubling back to light keep/avernus when hitting the higher levels.

There's a lot of caves and passages full of monsters and side paths along this route that has kept me busy exploring for a good while.

There's also going east from minmir for a good while (more east than the gap), then cutting north up into the mountains at the skull crags, the weatherstone, logging camp, and a few dungeons out that way too such as a viper temple and a place full of... I wanna say derro or spriggans but I can't remember.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

CNS

Post by CNS » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:03 am

Assuming you're in a group or at least 2 everytime so not being all technical about how easy any of these are for a TF at a specific level, and also assuming you want a bit of a classics tour (for my definition of classic) maybe something like:

6-10:
Kobolds in the Iron Mines
Goblin Fortress
Blood Moons
Wharftown Boys

10-13:
Sea Pirates
The Mound
Cyrstal Caves?
(I'm a bit lost here content is a little weak in terms of classic dungeons)

14-17
Sibiyad Tombs Tour
Malarite's
Minmir Giants Cave

18-21
Mhorgarun (sp) the black
Earl's Manor
The Black Fort (Orcs)

21+
Aurilite's
Red Dragon Island
Baator