An overall question over farming and plants

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Kamuizin

An overall question over farming and plants

Post by Kamuizin » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:37 pm

By playing with a shaman i thought i would have a more indepth experience with herbalism and plants, but it also opened a book of questions that i feel in need of some answers and clarifications.

So, if anyone has the time or interest in answer/clarify one or more of these points - maybe all of them, who knows - i will be thankfful. Here are my questions:

1 - What spots are arable and proper to plant seeds?
2 - Can i make or turn a land into an arable one?
3 - What's the limit of plants per map?
4 - What's the respawn rate - ingame or rl time - of plant material on them?
5 - What plants are server specific (surface onlu, UD only, maybe other planes one...)?
6 - Does planting inside quarters work? Does any quarter have outside private areas for planting?
7 - Does the destruction or steal of plants follow the 1 per 24h rule as when stealing from quarters, or can anyone come and instantly destroy a future work of mine made into an open area?
8 - What are the exactly effect of a tended plant?

This thread that i found in the forum is a bit helpful, but i would appreciate extra answers for the above questions.

Emotionaloverload
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: An overall question over farming and plants

Post by Emotionaloverload » Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:47 am

1. Most farmland but it depends. Some houses/buildings have patches that you can use. You will get a prompt that the land you are walking on is 'fertile' to let you know you can plant there. Some patches only take certain types of seeds. Just because land is 'fertile' doesn't mean everything will grow on it. You will know if something is not right for the spot because it will start to 'wither' (you will get the prompt when you interact with it after a while of being planted).

2. No. There is a finite amount of 'fertile' land and (sadly) no amount of nature skills or praying can convert land into being 'fertile'.

3. Its not per map, it depends on the patch of 'fertile' land. Some spots can take as high as six plants, another can only do two. You have to figure it out through trial and error.

4. I believe its once every three ticks (although since the time change it might be more fixed than that). However if if a plant was over picked and not tended too enough then it might not spawn anything.

5. http://wiki.nwnarelith.com/Herbalism#Seed However I think that the UD plants: Ripplebark, Bloodroot, Barrelstalk and Larval Colony are UD specific even if its not listed here.

6. No, planting inside doesn't work anymore. Yes, some quarters have their own private patch of 'fertile' land.

7. The same rules as fixture rules apply for plants.

8. All plants count as 'tended' after reset so they will have fruit/resources. Then the plant produces fruit two times before it stops at which point it has to be tended to to produce more resources. Tended plants produce more resources (I think the max is 6 for regular plants and 4 for the good stuff like King's Crown). HOWEVER I am old and this might have been removed (someone jump in please if I am years off on this) since there was a lot of complaint. It could be that tended plants just produce MORE resource than untended plants.

Hope that helps.
-S
Formerly; Echo Hemlocke-Ralkai, Joshua Colt, Namil Evanara, Elanor Shortwick, Sawyer Brook, Kaylessa Dree, Sines Oliver Selakiir, Birgitta Birdie Swordhill, Bella Weartherbee, Arael Laceflower, Corbin, Rupert Silveroak, Hadi the Slave and others.

Kamuizin

Post by Kamuizin » Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:33 am

Emotionaloverload wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:47 am
1. Most farmland but it depends. Some houses/buildings have patches that you can use. You will get a prompt that the land you are walking on is 'fertile' to let you know you can plant there. Some patches only take certain types of seeds. Just because land is 'fertile' doesn't mean everything will grow on it. You will know if something is not right for the spot because it will start to 'wither' (you will get the prompt when you interact with it after a while of being planted).

2. No. There is a finite amount of 'fertile' land and (sadly) no amount of nature skills or praying can convert land into being 'fertile'.

3. Its not per map, it depends on the patch of 'fertile' land. Some spots can take as high as six plants, another can only do two. You have to figure it out through trial and error.

4. I believe its once every three ticks (although since the time change it might be more fixed than that). However if if a plant was over picked and not tended too enough then it might not spawn anything.

5. http://wiki.nwnarelith.com/Herbalism#Seed However I think that the UD plants: Ripplebark, Bloodroot, Barrelstalk and Larval Colony are UD specific even if its not listed here.

6. No, planting inside doesn't work anymore. Yes, some quarters have their own private patch of 'fertile' land.

7. The same rules as fixture rules apply for plants.

8. All plants count as 'tended' after reset so they will have fruit/resources. Then the plant produces fruit two times before it stops at which point it has to be tended to to produce more resources. Tended plants produce more resources (I think the max is 6 for regular plants and 4 for the good stuff like King's Crown). HOWEVER I am old and this might have been removed (someone jump in please if I am years off on this) since there was a lot of complaint. It could be that tended plants just produce MORE resource than untended plants.

Hope that helps.
-S
It helped a lot, thank you very much!

chocolatelover

Post by chocolatelover » Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:12 am

How do you plant? My character has found places that are good for planting from a message. I hacve seed.... do I need a shovel? How do I plant? I have harnak seeds. Can those be planted?

Cabarcos
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cabarcos » Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:10 am

If I'm not mistaken, haven't done it in a while, you just drop the seed in a patch of fertile land to plant it.

Harnak seeds are what the plant Harnak provides to use in herbalism recipes for example, not proper seeds to plant in the server.

Cabarcos
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cabarcos » Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:19 am

Emotionaloverload wrote:

This is a link to the wiki, for the recipes to get the seeds, so you can plant new ones.

chocolatelover

Post by chocolatelover » Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:53 pm

Is it possible to plant more harnak or is it really controlled?

Mattamue
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Mattamue » Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:57 pm

Who is the audience for this post?

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:49 pm

the thing i dont understand is the planting fields are big enough for more than four plants, but only four can be planted. Some are even big enough to plant eight seeds, so why is the limit four?
Yes I can sign

riffraff

Post by riffraff » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:57 am

Emotionaloverload wrote:
8. All plants count as 'tended' after reset so they will have fruit/resources. Then the plant produces fruit two times before it stops at which point it has to be tended to to produce more resources.
I've only got anecdotal evidence, but I don't think that's necessarily true, as I successfully harvest the same plants repeatedly, usually in a relatively short time. Whilst it's possible a ranger or whathaveyou is tending to the plants after me at some point, or that my own tending happens to be falling exactly where I need it, it seems like there's just a cooldown timer on when the produce respawns.

Having said that, I do have a question about tending to plants - what actually triggers it? Sometimes it happens when my character interacts with a plant and sometimes it doesn't. It's not on a plant-by-plant basis, but seems that just sometimes it's active and sometimes it's not. So it's possible I'm totally wrong about the above and that it's activating only when the plant needs tending to, but it's very rare I rock up to Cordor farms to find there's no produce and a good 10 minute wait doesn't fix.

I also made some nut seeds a long while ago and haven't found anywhere they can be planted because everywhere I've found is already at capacity. I just gave up on 'em because running up to twenty patches of dirt that tell me it's fertile, only to throw down my seeds and be told there's no room got disheartening.
cold chuckle

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:50 am

chocolatelover wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:53 pm
Is it possible to plant more harnak or is it really controlled?
Seeds can be found in the world but cannot be crafted.

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Wethrinea

Post by Wethrinea » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:10 am

riffraff wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:57 am

Having said that, I do have a question about tending to plants - what actually triggers it? Sometimes it happens when my character interacts with a plant and sometimes it doesn't. It's not on a plant-by-plant basis, but seems that just sometimes it's active and sometimes it's not. So it's possible I'm totally wrong about the above and that it's activating only when the plant needs tending to, but it's very rare I rock up to Cordor farms to find there's no produce and a good 10 minute wait doesn't fix.
There is a timer (No idea exactly how long, but x ticks most likely) after the last person picked or tended to the plant that decides if you can tend a plant or not, provided you are a character who can tend to plants in the first place. Tending to plants also increase subsequent yields.

Cordor farmland is a very popular spot to gather plant stuff, so it is likely because someone nabbed it while you waited.
Ivar Ferdamann - Mercenary turned Marshall

riffraff

Post by riffraff » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:22 am

Wethrinea wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:10 am
There is a timer (No idea exactly how long, but x ticks most likely) after the last person picked or tended to the plant that decides if you can tend a plant or not, provided you are a character who can tend to plants in the first place. Tending to plants also increase subsequent yields.
Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I couldn't find much info about it on the wiki. For a while I thought it was tied to me having 100% piety, but it happens whether I'm at max or not. It makes sense that it's just other people tending plants. It's a shame tending isn't something you choose to activate, as whilst the extra yield is nice, I often don't need the piety so now will feel a bit guilty that I'm potentially stopping others getting piety that way.
cold chuckle

Wethrinea

Post by Wethrinea » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:00 am

Those who tend plants for piety likely know of enough spots to get all the piety they need, so don't feel bad about it. On my tailor character I had a round I ran whenever I needed to stock up on cotton, which easily netted 30+ piety percentages in less than ten minutes. And that was just the cotton.
Ivar Ferdamann - Mercenary turned Marshall