Exotic vs non exotic weapons

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Nymann

Exotic vs non exotic weapons

Post by Nymann » Fri May 13, 2022 6:23 am

Hello Arelith!

I was just wondering if there was any plans for making Non Exotic weapons more relevant?
Right now almost every non Exotic weapon is outshined by the new weapons, The feat is sometimes better than even Imp Critical due to the weapon.
Additionally almost every melee build can already fit in the exotic weapon, as most have a "free feat" out of the most necessary ones.

Just a few examples:

Falchion completely outshines Greatsword in every way due to the crit range.
Nodachi is just a better Greataxe, better crit range same damage.
Bastard sword is just a better Longsword, and it is also under the "two hand weapon focus" giving it just another edge.
Katana a bit worse than Bastard sword due to the two hand weapon focus, but still better than Longsword.

That´s what I can recall looking at it on top of my head.

Not asking to make them completely on par or make them the same, it´s just a bit strange that Exotic feat is in most cases just another imp crit feat simply due to the weapons.

Best Regards
Nymann

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Exotic vs non exotic weapons

Post by Shadowy Reality » Fri May 13, 2022 9:34 am

You are not comparing everything.

Greataxes have x3 multiplier, Nodachis have 19-20x2, it's fine.
Falchions are indeed better than Greatswords for most builds.

Bastard sword is better than Longsword, however there are special weapons, such as the Moonblade to consider, which the Bastard Sword does not have.

You are also forgetting that Rapiers and Scimitars are also better than most 1h weapons due to crit range, and they don't require a feat.

I would also not be concerned about them being slightly better, having to expend a feat is a tax in itself.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Fri May 13, 2022 11:53 am

Unfettering Edge, a greatsword, is best-in-slot for many 2handing classes. Exotic weapons are very niche and often not worth the feat tax.

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Fri May 13, 2022 6:01 pm

Shadowy Reality wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 9:34 am
there are special weapons, such as the Moonblade to consider, which the Bastard Sword does not have.
This is true.

These special weapons have +4 enchantments and masterly damask is only +3. Entire feats are spent on getting an advantage of +1 (weapon focus, epic prowess) as this is an extremely important thing to have if your build is based around the concept of hitting things.

I'm sure there are exceptions but I've noticed that a lot of these cool exotic weapons don't have special versions and cost a feat to get you a -1 to hit that will haunt you forever.