Skal and Epic Characters

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Hazard

Skal and Epic Characters

Post by Hazard » Sun May 22, 2022 5:03 am

Without getting into the obvious reasons why or why not or anything like that, I just wanted to ask for the current stance.

Are epic level characters allowed in Skal at all, or briefly, or not at all? I've heard all different sort of things and see nothing about it on the wiki. Some people tell me epic levels aren't allowed there at all anymore, others tell me you can visit for just a bit, and then other times I see level 30s just full on living there. So which is it? Because these new updates sound cool, and I have a character that would really like to go and poke about (without causing trouble). Am I allowed to do that?

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Skal and Epic Characters

Post by Ork » Sun May 22, 2022 6:18 am

Epics are allowed but they accept the mark of dauntless. IG mentioned in discord today that he's considering changing the new upper limit before the dauntless mark is L18.

Skarain

Post by Skarain » Sun May 22, 2022 6:27 am

The ruling is that epic characters should not linger in Skall with the purpose of lording over the general populace, or swinging around their power. If a group of epics were able to stay, they would inevitably always be involved to deal with whatever big bad that rises, as well as hog up all the shops. It is just natural. However, that robs lower level players of the same agency and chance to play heroes. Same as if an epic Necromancer were to come and stay at Skall, say claiming dominion over the village, it would inevitably lead to other epics arriving and then the area would not be a low-level frontier experience removed from mainland politics.

I am pretty sure if you are there just "exploring", like a NPC out in the world and go out of your way to not swing your greater power around, or stop lower level players from doing their writs if they come across, it will probably be all good. I am pretty sure the DM's will Talk first before slapping a Mark of Dauntless, so you'll be given a warning if they think you are overstaying your welcome.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Sun May 22, 2022 7:21 am

Alrighty, cool. Thanks guys. Sounds fair and reasonable.

Pretty sure I can steer clear and keep to myself and just quietly explore without stepping on anyones toes.

Ping14
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Ping14 » Sun May 22, 2022 10:24 am

For a Visit on Skal, I think the OOC notification starts to pop up at Level 15, and it gives you 2 weeks to do your business.
(which translates to approx 3-4days RL)

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Sun May 22, 2022 10:28 am

I'll ask it get raised to level 18, as that's about right for Guldorand.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Sun May 22, 2022 10:50 am

Ping14 wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 10:24 am
For a Visit on Skal, I think the OOC notification starts to pop up at Level 15, and it gives you 2 weeks to do your business.
(which translates to approx 3-4days RL)
3-4 whole days! Nice. I wouldn't have wanted to stay more than a day or two, tops. That's plenty of time to have a good look around.