Cleric questions

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

xorbaxian

Cleric questions

Post by xorbaxian » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:32 pm

greetings,

brand new to arelith, i'm enjoying it so far. i've got a tonne of questions about clerics, though ; i hope someone can answer them.
  • i understand that piety is related to a cleric's ability to cast upper-tier spells. is there anything else ? for example, on some pw's a cleric can't get high-level spells if the patron deity is a minor deity. does the strength of my character's patron deity matter ?
  • the comment for the 'home and hearth' aspect notes 'healing' as the action to regain piety. does that mean any time a character whose patron deity has this aspect heals someone [whether w/kit or spell], piety is gained ? ...and does this also include 'healing' undead ? >;^)
  • similar question for magic aspect -- any time any spell is cast, the cleric gains piety ?
  • if my patron deity has both the 'hearth/home' and 'magic' aspects, do i get piety twice if i cast a spell that's a healing spell ?
  • what exactly are spell 'refunds' ? does this mean the spell is 're-memorised' after being cast ?
  • considering the cloistered path. the 'silent spell' series is pretty niche. on arelith, are silenced conditions encountered frequently enough to warrant spending two precious feat slots to fulfill the criteria for the automatic silent spell feats ?

Arienette
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Cleric questions

Post by Arienette » Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:40 am

Deity power level doesn’t matter.

You are over-thinking piety gain. You will have plenty of piety to do whatever you want 99.5 percent of the time. But you are generally correct in your assumptions about how piety is gained.

Yes about spell refunds.

Silent spell is sometimes used to shut down casters in PvP. Use a wand of silence and then rush the caster and disrupt their casting. There are other ways in which silence can be used as a strategy.

Also, having silent spell feat can also be very useful for spell book flexibility. Such as slotting WoF as 8th lvl.

xf1313

Post by xf1313 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:58 pm

Think you’d gain piety twice, cast healing spell. healing undead is killing them so that doesn’t count.

Chose the right deity help you to gain piety fast. The worst option would be a priest who do not disguise or craft choose trickery and deceit and knowledge invention lol

I do not pvp, hardly had much of the silence issue

Think there’s going to be some changes about domins, best if you wait a bit?
Wild-elf Druid Laurifin Goldenleaf
Drow shadowlord Lomin Nightshade

xorbaxian

Post by xorbaxian » Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:11 pm

many thanks to both of you, that clears up a lot.
xf1313 wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:58 pm
ah, ok. thanks for the tip !

Arienette

Post by Arienette » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:25 am

xorbaxian wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:11 pm
many thanks to both of you, that clears up a lot.
xf1313 wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:58 pm
ah, ok. thanks for the tip !
Domains have been changed recently.

If and when they change again, you will be given the ability to modify your domains. I dont see this as a good reason to wait.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:06 am

Domain change is as easy as a console command, and the devs have been liberal in giving them out, so I definitely second Arienette's statement.

xorbaxian

Post by xorbaxian » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:08 pm

ok so i've got another question.... lol :roll:

i'm finding what appear to be some contradictions regarding cleric/deity alignment possibilities. according to the wiki :
The Wiki wrote:Cleric alignments usually include those alignments one step away from the deity's alignment.
however there are a lot of deities where this would be possible by virtue of the deity's alignment, but that alignment isn't listed in the deity's 'worshipper's alignments'.

for example, suppose the deity's alignment is NG, the cleric's alignment is true neutral, and the 'worshipper's alignments' listed on the deity's page are LG, NG, CG. the cleric article implies the cleric could worship that deity (since true neutral is one step away from NG), but the deity's article doesn't seem to allow that. do i go by what's in the cleric article, or by what's in the deity's article ? [or am i making a mountain out of a molehill and nobody actually cares ? :lol: ]

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:24 pm

One step is just a general guide ("usually"); a lot of NG and NE just allow good or evil options, not TN. Some even have a weird triangle-like option on alignment.

What is listed is the actual restriction from the source books (or potentially modified if something seems like a typo).
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice