Professional vs Freelancer Contract

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

xf1313

Professional vs Freelancer Contract

Post by xf1313 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:08 am

Hi, I want to hear some feed back from people who took freelancer writ pls. Recently I made testing characters just to see how freelancer writ works

It turns out unexpectedly good...for early levels at least

Borg Xvart and cold cave writ give 500exp each and 2000 adventure exp per writ
And a few others I cannot remember, feels like half exp gain but 4-8 times the adventure exp gain compared to professional.

Is that still the case for higher level writs? To me it feels that freelancer is offering enough for low lv character to start, sit back and rp to get to a decent level, then proceed to something harder. While they can be very selective with what they do and still able to progress.

Sincerely hope there is an option to switch contract now...
Wild-elf Druid Laurifin Goldenleaf
Drow shadowlord Lomin Nightshade

Stop. Ninja Time

Re: Professional vs Freelancer Contract

Post by Stop. Ninja Time » Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:06 am

That's the point of Freelancer, it's the slower leveling but higher adventure xp version. If you want to level more slowly and take your time/have more chance to RP in hubs without running out of adventure xp, then it's the option for you.

It was done for those of us that like a much slower leveling speed.

xf1313

Post by xf1313 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:17 am

Ty for reply, I just cannot believe that the details are not shared to public... Or else I’d take freelancer on other characters I made!

And to be honest, I don’t feel slowed down at all. When I play I tends to choose more rp-oriented build, and try to find a party to take me. It was frustrating to wait while the exp pool is draining out... And I join to help others when they ask. Overall the exp from group hunting has covered the reduced exp.

I will strongly recommending freelancer for all UD characters. (My last UD character, Lomin, spent a lot of time in hub watching others anyway...and that is before the adventure exp nerf so he had enough in pool.) I made character in UD after nerf, professional do not give enough for character to lv and the exp pool is sad.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:56 am

This was shared in the announcement thread.

God_In_Action

Post by God_In_Action » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:32 am

:I've found that stored adventure exp depletes very quickly and have struggled to keep above 1000 on a character which took professional contract without doing writs constantly.

I think freelance fulfils a significant role for pirate sencliff characters, who can get the majority of their exp directly from sailing. But sailing doesn't give you any significant amount of adventure exp. So for them, freelance contacts let you store up a large amount of exp with very little effort. Since you are only getting adventure exp, you can complete quick low level writs to instantly bank a nice adventure exp cushion (and even get a larger adventure exp bonus, since that's how the system works for completing writs when over-levelled as you don't get any direct experience).

I've found however that towards epic levels the writs experience starts getting so high that you start banking more experience than you might even want. There's no point having tens of thousands of experience points banked in adventure exp if it will take you forever and a year to absorb it all!

xf1313

Post by xf1313 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:14 am

God_In_Action wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:32 am
:I've found that stored adventure exp depletes very quickly and have struggled to keep above 1000 on a character which took professional contract without doing writs constantly.

I think freelance fulfils a significant role for pirate sencliff characters, who can get the majority of their exp directly from sailing. But sailing doesn't give you any significant amount of adventure exp. So for them, freelance contacts let you store up a large amount of exp with very little effort. Since you are only getting adventure exp, you can complete quick low level writs to instantly bank a nice adventure exp cushion (and even get a larger adventure exp bonus, since that's how the system works for completing writs when over-levelled as you don't get any direct experience).

I've found however that towards epic levels the writs experience starts getting so high that you start banking more experience than you might even want. There's no point having tens of thousands of experience points banked in adventure exp if it will take you forever and a year to absorb it all!
Thanks for the info! So the epic writs are offering outrageous amounts of exp in pool lol, good to know. (my oldest character, she really had too much exp in pool and kept adventure mode on until 30...imagine)

I have a character in sencliff, but do not know how to get a ship? I need to work that out, sailing exp sounds fun! I would love to see higher levels get faster exp tick, make it scale a bit sounds right. This might actually encourage more higher levels to rp

God_In_Action

Post by God_In_Action » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:38 am

You need to buddy up with other pirates to start with and to learn the ropes. Hang around the Cove area and look for other players. If you bump into my character I'll happily take you out to sea!

When sailing you earn a nice amount of experience for passing Sail skill checks, as well as finding explorable locations and fighting what is there.