questions about 'attunement'

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

xorbaxian

questions about 'attunement'

Post by xorbaxian » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:20 am

i'm having trouble getting my head around 'attunement' ; after having read about it in the wiki, i understand the mechanics, but why would one want to do this in the first place ? wouldn't choosing the 'right' deity as the patron deity be enough ?

i also found this :
Archnon wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:38 pm
I believe you have to be attuned to a K&I god to get the dweomercraft tiers.
if this is true, i guess that means that a spell-caster who wants to do some crafting, but whose patron deity doesn't have a k&i aspect, couldn't do crafting until/unless the character 'attunes' to a 2nd deity that does have the k&i aspect, regardless of how many tiers the character would have thanks to levels/feats/etc. ?

a related, but more specific, question :
Inordinate wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:35 am
Attunement fills a 'secondary' slot for deity worship where you gain the benefits of the aspects of that particular deity temporarily.
how long is 'temporarily' ?

...and finally, while one is 'attuned' to the second deity, do the 2nd deity's aspects replace those of the patron deity, or supplement them ?

xf1313

Re: questions about 'attunement'

Post by xf1313 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:29 am

It is not necessary to worship KI, a wizard at high enough lv is automatically tier3

All god give god save anyway.

It is important if you want to be tier 3 by investing 30 points into crafting mastery , because your class give 0 tiers, like a commoner

It is important when you want piety from crafting

The aspects replace the original ones
Wild-elf Druid Laurifin Goldenleaf
Drow shadowlord Lomin Nightshade

Inordinate
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Inordinate » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:05 pm

Temporary until you re-attune to the same deity altar to clear it or attune to a new deity's altar. Think of it as a soft deity slot rather than a hard "you lose something to change this" property.
If need there comes to shelter my ship on the flood;
The wind I calm upon the waves, and the sea I put to sleep

xorbaxian

Post by xorbaxian » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:49 pm

thanks to both of you for your answers. :)

so if i understand this right, the following would answer the question of 'why' :

- suppose my character is a 'battle cleric' who worships a deity with the war and hearth aspects. so she goes on adventures and gains piety whenever she kills things and heals herself and companions.

- now she wants to craft some items. she can still do that successfully even if she doesn't worship a deity who has KI, but she won't gain piety from it. so in order to gain piety from crafting, she finds an altar and 'attunes' to a god who has, for example, KI and magic, does her crafting, then 'detunes' [goes back to her patron deity] when she wants to go adventuring again.

- if she forgets to 'detune' before going adventuring again then she won't gain piety from killing things and healing because her secondary attuned deity doesn't have those aspects.

does that sound right ?

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:31 pm

Yes, that's how it works. Though, it's better to think about this in roleplay terms. It's not unheard of (and probably quite common) for someone to pray to a god of crafting before making something, but ultimately your patron faith is the same. The forgotten realms are a polytheistic society more along the lines of ancient Rome/Greece than Christianity or Islam.

That said, I don't think it would be super common for a cleric to do this as it would be someone else, so I generally avoid attunement with my clerics. I did have a Yuan-ti cleric who had Sseth as the patron but another god attuned because that character was a "sleeper agent" (in that she didn't know she was a yuan-ti).
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:36 pm

Think of attunement as offering a prayer or praise to a situationally appropriate god - before a voyage, before a battle, before undertaking a craft. Maybe your character, on visiting the Temple of Bane, attunes to Bane out of fear and respect so as not to attract his ire, even if your character is normally a Waukeenar. Perhaps for the next week after your visit you keep this attunement until you visit your usual shrine. It's something I like to do with my characters whenever they make a visit or pilgrimage to a holy site.
Xerah wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:31 pm
That said, I don't think it would be super common for a cleric to do this as it would be someone else, so I generally avoid attunement with my clerics.
Divine classes should feel free to attune to deities within their Patron's pantheon (Seldarine, etc) or allied gods (Waukeen/Liira, Oghma/Gond)! And even beyond that where situational.

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

xorbaxian

Post by xorbaxian » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:43 am

many thanks to all of you for your info !
this has really cleared things up for me.