Help/Advice for a returning player?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

MageTankTech

Help/Advice for a returning player?

Post by MageTankTech » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:38 am

Been awhile since I was on this server, for clarification I spent about 2-3 hours reading update notes.

I was considering returning but the sheer amount of changes to the server combined with the simple fact that I never learned even half of what existed in the first place has left me feeling a bit intimidated about returning.

So I was hoping to get a few things clarified here first.

1. I played a Shaman, I enjoyed the RP concept but did not care for how the class was balanced. Specifically, it had hybrid mage growths and terrible AB/AC spell buffing options. Basically, it felt like a caster Shaman was the only viable option outside of cross classing which honestly felt inferior to anything a Cross Class Cleric could do. (To be clear I have typically played Clerics in the past so I have a bit of bias in my opinion.)

I saw a sizable number of changes to the Shaman such as with regards to their BAB growth being adjusted and improvements to their cross class viability as well as spell additions and ghostly summon vfx for more fun rp options. That being said I am not fully versed in NWN balancing so I was hoping someone could simplify what the overall changes mean for the class. For example, are the AB changes enough to compete with some mages being able to buff their AB by over 20 points? I know before Shaman could only buff their AB by a measly 3 points with their own spells despite having hybrid growth rate.

2. What quality of life changes that were made to the mechanics of the server should I learn to make use of sooner as opposed to later? To be clear it has been 6 months since I last hopped on the server and possibly a year or more since I played it seriously.

3. Not sure what other questions I should be asking right now so I will hold off on further for the moment.

xf1313

Re: Help/Advice for a returning player?

Post by xf1313 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:58 am

I cannot answer all of the questions, but here’s a few things:

Now shaman works well if you get a dip in monk, and willing to wear robe for it. You’ll net a lot of extra ac from being a dex wis unarmed shaman. I tried a ranger shaman with summon, I can go melee with the summon shielding me.

Server change...I do not feel there’s much to worry about?
Wild-elf Druid Laurifin Goldenleaf
Drow shadowlord Lomin Nightshade

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:18 pm

MageTankTech wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:38 am
1. I played a Shaman, I enjoyed the RP concept but did not care for how the class was balanced. Specifically, it had hybrid mage growths and terrible AB/AC spell buffing options.
Shamans are in a much better place now, with a completely overhauled spellbook, additional AB/scaling as you mentioned. I'm currently playing one as a zen archer and it's fantastic.

xf1313

Post by xf1313 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:10 pm

Right, I forgot to mention that writ exp cut makes life a bit harder for low lv characters. You need to think about with contract to take. In Skal and UD, Freelancer give you generous adventure exp to smooth you into mid level, you will level slower at higher level. Professional would require you to grind low level dungeons because there is not enough low level writ in these 2 places.

MageTankTech

Post by MageTankTech » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:18 pm

xf1313 wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:10 pm
Right, I forgot to mention that writ exp cut makes life a bit harder for low lv characters. You need to think about with contract to take. In Skal and UD, Freelancer give you generous adventure exp to smooth you into mid level, you will level slower at higher level. Professional would require you to grind low level dungeons because there is not enough low level writ in these 2 places.
Freelancer? Professional? I do not know what these things are. What else has been added in the interim that I should know about?

xf1313

Post by xf1313 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:00 pm

Just now people can choose between 2 writ contract, one give high exp but small amount of adventure exp. the other give huge adventure exp but 1/4 immediate exp.

Shaman got cool ghostly summons

And there are other things added, a few more writs? aside from that it is mostly trivial, like familiar skins, a few more damage types etc. Would not really change how you play really

MageTankTech

Post by MageTankTech » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:04 pm

xf1313 wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:00 pm
Just now people can choose between 2 writ contract, one give high exp but small amount of adventure exp. the other give huge adventure exp but 1/4 immediate exp.

Shaman got cool ghostly summons

And there are other things added, a few more writs? aside from that it is mostly trivial, like familiar skins, a few more damage types etc. Would not really change how you play really
Only trivial changes over the past 6 months to a year? Well, alright then.

I will probably prioritize Adventure exp since I prefer the idea of casually gaining exp while I RP. What would be the best starting area for that?

xf1313

Post by xf1313 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:31 am

The starting area? Cordor feels easier, Skal you meet low lv people more easily. Monsters go to UD

MageTankTech

Post by MageTankTech » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:15 pm

xf1313 wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:31 am
The starting area? Cordor feels easier, Skal you meet low lv people more easily. Monsters go to UD
Alright, thank you for your time and advice.

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Skibbles » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:01 am

Shaman might be pretty difficult for a new player because it requires knowledge not only of the main class, all the new and custom spells, but of multiple very custom classes that it synergizes with too. I find it incredibly overwhelming to consider.

Best bet, if you really want to play one, is to just ask for a pre-made build and use it to the letter. There's probably a build out there that matches your concept closely enough to be fun.

Someday there will probably be an opportunity to rebuild and then you can make changes with your practical understanding of it later on.

As far as start locations go just pick whatever sounds good. I am not an expert on start locations but I've not really heard of any 'meta' start location that is the 'best'. I have heard Guldorand's accelerated start can be more difficult, however, so there's that.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

MageTankTech

Post by MageTankTech » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:01 am

Skibbles wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:01 am
Shaman might be pretty difficult for a new player because it requires knowledge not only of the main class, all the new and custom spells, but of multiple very custom classes that it synergizes with too. I find it incredibly overwhelming to consider.

Best bet, if you really want to play one, is to just ask for a pre-made build and use it to the letter. There's probably a build out there that matches your concept closely enough to be fun.

Someday there will probably be an opportunity to rebuild and then you can make changes with your practical understanding of it later on.

As far as start locations go just pick whatever sounds good. I am not an expert on start locations but I've not really heard of any 'meta' start location that is the 'best'. I have heard Guldorand's accelerated start can be more difficult, however, so there's that.
I "did" play Shaman for about a year so I do have some understanding of the class.

I don't see anything wrong with getting advice on builds so I will try that in a bit.

I'm less concerned with 'meta' in the sense of how to grind exp the fastest and more concerned with the other aspects of starting a new character such as having access to shops with early game gear at lower prices, having a reasonable number of people running through it so that getting help when needed is more of an option, and of course having reasonable to solo writs for making progress while my character is still new and lacking a large number of friends to work with more regularly.

Based on what Xf1313 said I will probably just go Cordor.

Skibbles

Post by Skibbles » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:06 am

In that case I'd also say Cordor or Andunor is your best bet when it comes to high traffic and lots of shops.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.