Remaking a reward restricted race character

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

MageTankTech

Remaking a reward restricted race character

Post by MageTankTech » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:44 pm

I have a character of a reward restricted race that I want to change the level 1 class for. The method suggested to me awhile back was to "delevel the character below level 16 to avoid rolling them for a reward, delete the character, then go earn a reward, then use the reward to go remake the character".

My questions are:

1. Is a relevel considered to be the same thing as a delevel when it comes to rolling a character versus deleting/remaking them.

2. Is this still the best method or is there a better option out there?

For clarity the race was Ghostwise Halfling, they were not a reward race when I made them. Also, I believe they only require a minor reward so that shouldn't take too terribly long to earn? They are currently over level 16 but because of a relevel they are sitting below it waiting on this question to be answered.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Remaking a reward restricted race character

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:07 am

Hello.
Your friends suggestion is correct. You cannot remake a character you've rolled an award for. So you need to delete the character before they hit 16, or use the -remake_character command.

1) No, I don't think it is. Unless I'm vastly misunderstanding anyway. If you're remaking a character, you don't get the award roll. I think -remake would still tag you as over 16, so you'd still get the award. I believe the command you want is -remake_character

2) I am sorry but no. For what its worth it sucks that the race you were rping came out after you could spend the award, but so it goes. The only comfort I can give you is that a level 16+ pc has a 100% chance of getting a minor

The only other alternative is to simply try and drop the ghostwise concept. Technically they never were one anyway,. as the mechanical race didn't exist.

Actually - as an aside - in most circumstances remaking as a new race is not something we'd allow. But I see that this is a bit of a special situaiton, so I think it's fair to make as you'd been roleplaying. For future reference however, remaking an elf pc as say, a Dwarf would be frowned upon.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

MageTankTech

Post by MageTankTech » Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:45 am

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:07 am
Hello.
Your friends suggestion is correct. You cannot remake a character you've rolled an award for. So you need to delete the character before they hit 16, or use the -remake_character command.

1) No, I don't think it is. Unless I'm vastly misunderstanding anyway. If you're remaking a character, you don't get the award roll. I think -remake would still tag you as over 16, so you'd still get the award. I believe the command you want is -remake_character

2) I am sorry but no. For what its worth it sucks that the race you were rping came out after you could spend the award, but so it goes. The only comfort I can give you is that a level 16+ pc has a 100% chance of getting a minor

The only other alternative is to simply try and drop the ghostwise concept. Technically they never were one anyway,. as the mechanical race didn't exist.

Actually - as an aside - in most circumstances remaking as a new race is not something we'd allow. But I see that this is a bit of a special situaiton, so I think it's fair to make as you'd been roleplaying. For future reference however, remaking an elf pc as say, a Dwarf would be frowned upon.
So -remake_character doesn't care about my character being over level 16?

While I have no attachment to the "Ghostwise" race persay I did base the background of the character on what their culture was like and I also don't have a compelling reason to just ditch it either. I suppose I will just level grind a character for the reward.

Thank you for the information.

Regnant Phoenix
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Regnant Phoenix » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:46 am

The GrumpyCat wrote:

Ghostwise were a mechanical race prior to being an award race but didn't require an award until 28/3/2021 when Wild Elves and Ghostwise Halflings were moved up to Minor awards. They previously didn't require an award to create them before.
MageTankTech wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:45 am

While I have no attachment to the "Ghostwise" race persay I did base the background of the character on what their culture was like and I also don't have a compelling reason to just ditch it either. I suppose I will just level grind a character for the reward.

If you use -remake_character then the server will delevel you to below level 16 and delete your character, thus not producing an award and allowing you to remake the character. When you have a new Minor award to spend then you'll need to use the -remake_character on your existing one. If you are intending to remake the PC then wait until after the servers have reset after deleting them (via -remake_character) else it can cause some funkiness with the scripts and potentially delete your new character as well.

MageTankTech

Post by MageTankTech » Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:47 am

Regnant Phoenix wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:46 am
The GrumpyCat wrote:

Ghostwise were a mechanical race prior to being an award race but didn't require an award until 28/3/2021 when Wild Elves and Ghostwise Halflings were moved up to Minor awards. They previously didn't require an award to create them before.
MageTankTech wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:45 am

If you use -remake_character then the server will delevel you to below level 16 and delete your character, thus not producing an award and allowing you to remake the character. When you have a new Minor award to spend then you'll need to use the -remake_character on your existing one. If you are intending to remake the PC then wait until after the servers have reset after deleting them (via -remake_character) else it can cause some funkiness with the scripts and potentially delete your new character as well.
Yes, I chose Ghostwise Halfling from the race list before it was locked to rewards only.

Wait, when you said use -remake_character on my existing one did you mean the one I already have or the new one? Is there some sort of extra step to this or am I misunderstanding you since you stated to do it twice?

Tikin

Post by Tikin » Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:48 am

Also, I don't think you'll need to grind a minor, as everyone's been offered one on the occasion of the 20th anniversary of NWN :-)

You can check IG what awards are available to you by typing "-awards" ;-)

MageTankTech

Post by MageTankTech » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:23 am

Tikin wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:48 am
Also, I don't think you'll need to grind a minor, as everyone's been offered one on the occasion of the 20th anniversary of NWN :-)

You can check IG what awards are available to you by typing "-awards" ;-)
So does that apply retroactively to players who haven't been on the server in a long time?

If so then, yay. :)

xf1313

Post by xf1313 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:35 am

sounds like you want to keep this character, just switch the class or stat? Then all you need to to is contact dm, use -relevel commend to become level 1, and wait for the change.

If you wish to get another character, yeah, delete this one, get the award and make a new one. The remake and delete commend are essentially the same thing really.
Wild-elf Druid Laurifin Goldenleaf
Drow shadowlord Lomin Nightshade

MageTankTech

Post by MageTankTech » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:02 am

xf1313 wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:35 am
sounds like you want to keep this character, just switch the class or stat? Then all you need to to is contact dm, use -relevel commend to become level 1, and wait for the change.

If you wish to get another character, yeah, delete this one, get the award and make a new one. The remake and delete commend are essentially the same thing really.
I want to change the class I chose at level 1. Also, yes if I have the option to keep them instead of remaking them then that would be preferable.

Also, contact dm, use -relevel to become level 1, and wait for the change? You make it sound like there is a step beyond using the -relevel command. The character in question has already been dropped to level 1 from all the rebalances that have happened over the past year.

Or are you saying the DM can reset the level 1 class to a different class? I think I recall reading about something along those lines in the announcements though I could have sworn there was another announcement saying they were not doing that anymore. But, then again I also recall that announcement coming up multiple times so I'm not really sure now. I kind of read all of the announcements that have been made in the last year in one sitting so alot of it kind of blurs together in my mind.

xf1313

Post by xf1313 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:08 am

MageTankTech wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:02 am
xf1313 wrote:

Or are you saying the DM can reset the level 1 class to a different class? I think I recall reading about something along those lines in the announcements though I could have sworn there was another announcement saying they were not doing that anymore.
Hm, they do it, for classes that are affected by class changes, thou you should contact and ask about it.

MageTankTech

Post by MageTankTech » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:10 am

xf1313 wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:08 am
MageTankTech wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:02 am
xf1313 wrote:

Or are you saying the DM can reset the level 1 class to a different class? I think I recall reading about something along those lines in the announcements though I could have sworn there was another announcement saying they were not doing that anymore.
Hm, they do it, for classes that are affected by class changes, thou you should contact and ask about it.
Okay, well I will give that a try first I guess. Do you happen to know who I should get in contact with specifically or does it matter that much?

xf1313

Post by xf1313 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:28 am

Guess it doesn’t matter, just any dm

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:54 am

Yes dms can now change level one clases but not starting stats
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

MageTankTech

Post by MageTankTech » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:18 pm

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:54 am
Yes dms can now change level one clases but not starting stats
That's probably alright. My character was mostly built like a mage anyways with high Wis/Int so I just need to decide on what physical stat to bring up to par with level up stat ups...or I can just go Zen Archery.

Also I like your cat.