Craft ammunition feat

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

MageTankTech

Craft ammunition feat

Post by MageTankTech » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:04 am

Archer Path Ranger supposedly recieves this for free however I am not sure how to access it. I can't find it on my action wheel and it doesn't seem to require a - command. Can someone please explain how this works?

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Craft ammunition feat

Post by Skibbles » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:19 am

I whipped up a quick archer on PGCC to test this as I didn't know how.

I found the feat in the radial under special abilities for Ranger.

It's kind of a wierd and dated mechanic - you'll need to have your ranged weapon of choice equipped, then use the feat, and it will spawn a club in your inventory that is a 'bundle'. Then you equip and use that club and it will deposit arrows into your inventory. Read: Make sure you have it equipped in your hand before using it.

Later on, with a 'template' item, you instead use your club on the template and it'll print arrows with extra damage and so on.

Edit: just to be sure - you did pick the archer path on creation and not accidentally went with totem or basic ranger?
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

MageTankTech

Post by MageTankTech » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:39 am

Skibbles wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:19 am
I whipped up a quick archer on PGCC to test this as I didn't know how.

I found the feat in the radial under special abilities for Ranger.

It's kind of a wierd and dated mechanic - you'll need to have your ranged weapon of choice equipped, then use the feat, and it will spawn a club in your inventory that is a 'bundle'. Then you equip and use that club and it will deposit arrows into your inventory. Read: Make sure you have it equipped in your hand before using it.

Later on, with a 'template' item, you instead use your club on the template and it'll print arrows with extra damage and so on.

Edit: just to be sure - you did pick the archer path on creation and not accidentally went with totem or basic ranger?
I made a Shaman. I chose Ranger later and used the -path command to make it an Archer. It replaced the duel wield feats with the archer related feats so I'm guessing it worked correctly.

That being said, I have a bow equipped and that isn't showing up under "Ranger Special Abilities" so maybe it's an odd consequence of not starting with Ranger? That or it could be a bug I suppose.

Skibbles

Post by Skibbles » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:42 am

Oooh interesting that might complicate things somehow. I wonder if maybe you've stumbled upon a bug. Let me experiment and see what I find out.

How many shaman levels have you taken before going to Ranger?
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

Skibbles

Post by Skibbles » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:48 am

Okay I'm back already. I tried Shaman 3/Ranger 1, did -path, chose archer, and then found the create ammunition feat listed under both classes in the special ability radial. This is on the PGCC and not live, however, so if you still can't find it you may need to make a bug report.

MageTankTech

Post by MageTankTech » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:58 am

I went 26 Shaman and then took 3 ranger and then 1 more shaman. Also I tested this on the PGCC as well.

MageTankTech

Post by MageTankTech » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:00 am

I am using the Ashwood Shortbow on a Ghostwise Halfling if any of that is relevant.

I have also rebuilt the character a couple of times taking the ranger at different levels so maybe it didn't like that?

I did note it kept up with what path I chose after removing and re-adding Ranger levels.

MageTankTech

Post by MageTankTech » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:31 am

Made a second character with the same build but with no remakes and still found that the craft ammunition special ability is missing so this issue is consistent though I don't know what aspect of the character/build is causing it.

So, is it bug report time?

Skibbles

Post by Skibbles » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:05 am

Okay this is interesting, and I may have some insight here. This definitely seems like a bug potentially related to award races. I tried doing a normal human shaman/archer and it worked, but now that i've tried a ghostwise halfling it did not.

I have a vampire ranger, and I tried to use the totem path but it never worked no matter what any DMs tried to do.

I am thinking that being an award race and trying to use a path doesn't work.

Skibbles

Post by Skibbles » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:16 am

Yep I've confirmed my suspicions I think. This isn't shaman related at all.

Elf tiefling archer does not work.

Ghostwise halfling archer does not work.

Human vampire archer does not work.

This appears to be specifically related to award races.

MageTankTech

Post by MageTankTech » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:42 pm

What about a race that used to not be an award race but is one now? Would it work there?

ElevenOne

Post by ElevenOne » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:22 pm

Craft ammunition feat now is granted by getting the weapon focus: ranged or missile.

Back then, this was a ranger archer path only feat, but now is a feat available for anyone.

I guess you are randomly getting the weapon focus feat on your tests, and that's why you saw it sometimes and other times did not.

MageTankTech

Post by MageTankTech » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:59 pm

ElevenOne wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:22 pm
Craft ammunition feat now is granted by getting the weapon focus: ranged or missile.

Back then, this was a ranger archer path only feat, but now is a feat available for anyone.

I guess you are randomly getting the weapon focus feat on your tests, and that's why you saw it sometimes and other times did not.
That should be a simple enough thing to confirm. Is it a feat that you have to grab after grabbing the weapon focus but is a free feat for archers if they have a weapon focus? Since I doubt both feats were being grabbed by accident.

MageTankTech

Post by MageTankTech » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:32 pm

You were right, weapon focus is needed.

Skibbles

Post by Skibbles » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:20 am

Thanks for pointing this out ElevenOne.

MageTankTech

Post by MageTankTech » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:46 am

Yes, thank you both for your help.