Half giants lore.

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

HeyLadyOfDecay
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Half giants lore.

Post by HeyLadyOfDecay » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:00 am

So, My to-go to source is the forgotten realms wiki,

I can't find anything on half-giants as presented on Arelith, Is this a Arelith self race or?

If not, Can I have lore links?
Lyann Reyer. Back by demand.
(Mass grave of other characters)

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Re: Half giants lore.

Post by Kalopsia » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:20 am

Have a look at this link :)
https://wiki.nwnarelith.com/Half-Giant

HeyLadyOfDecay
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by HeyLadyOfDecay » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:47 am

Kalopsia wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:20 am
Have a look at this link :)
https://wiki.nwnarelith.com/Half-Giant
So, It's an Arelith original?

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:43 am

Insofar as I'm aware, there's next to no lore regarding half-giants - mechanically, culturally, et cetera.

There are a few references in a line of novels to half-giants being fathered by Hartkiller (the last son of Annam, who did not appear to become the progenitor of a new line of giants like the rest of Annam's children, so his subtype is unknown - though the other giants referred to him as a 'runt' and 'runt' in Giant translates to 'Ettin', though he did not have two heads), by Titans and by Ettins (actual, traditional Ettins) onto human mothers using Cringe Magic & Divine Intervention. Which is presumably the only way that the mechanics of the act can be explained away.

Notably, the latter two races (Titans/Ettins) are explicitly attempting to breed a half-giant with a distant descendant of Hartkiller's (so, a human w/giant's blood in their veins) as part of a prophecy that one of Hartkiller's line would one day restore the Giant Kingdom of Ostoria. This would come to pass through Cringe Magic, but the mother of said half-giant would eventually marry a Firbolg.

These novels became fully canonized by the old sourcebook Giantcraft, which again gave very few details on half-giants - other than the fact that they exist.

Short story: there's no real lore on Half-Giants beyond the fact that they can exist, but the only confirmed incidents (of which there are a grand 2) of half-giant offspring have all been Human Mother - Giant Father (and the result is the mother dying in childbirth without immediate magical intervention.)

But there's plenty of room there for interpretation and extrapolation, and it can go either way.

Half-giants could be seen as inherently maug, because they have been historically been associated more strongly w/giant-kin than true giants (like the Firbolg, who reject the Ordning wholesale) - or they could be seen as having the potential to be maat, as following in the spiritual line of Hartkiller, one of Annam's trueborn sons.

Given that half-giants have no canonical place within the Ordning at all, I'm inclined to lean towards most giants viewing half-giants as inherently maug (or 'evil'), despite the prophecy that a half-giant will be the one to restore Ostoria to greatness. Hartkiller betrayed all giantkind by working with humans to drive giants from their land via violence and force - which is three of the worst acts a giant can commit all rolled into one - and especially since giants view their heritage and lineage as a matter of extreme pride and importance, since they all descend from one of Annam's quasideific children (and thus, from Annam himself): sullying that bloodline doesn't seem to be something they'd do especially lightly.

Edit: the more I read about what little lore there is surrounding half-giants, the more deeply cringe I find them to be. And that's even in comparison to some of the stuff Greenwood wrote. Thanks, Troy Denning. I did not need to read about half of this.

Sources:

The Twilight Giants trilogy
Giantcraft (2e sourcebook)
what would fred rogers do?

Kenji
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Kenji » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:40 am

Some half-giants are rumored to be offsprings of a muscular strongheart halfling who wooed giant matrons.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:45 am

Ettin progenitor for anyone wondering.

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:54 am

I've discovered that Giant lore is basically just Star Wars with a weird magical non-con breeding fixation.

Thanks, Troy Denning.

> Giants live in peaceful, utopic continent spanning empire.
> Betrayals, internal strife and external pressures lead to collapse.
> But wait! A prophesied chosen one will be born, to restore the greatness of Ostoria.
> The prophesied chosen one, after being born, betrays his giant brothers instead.
> Actual prophesied chosen one ends up being one of his offspring.
> Birth and raising of this prophesied chosen one manipulated by the machinations of a shadowy evil ultragiant.
> Shadowy evil ultragiant overthrown by plucky misfit adventurers (firbolg swordsman with dirty blonde hair that side parts, giant-blooded human princess)
> Balance is restored to the Force
what would fred rogers do?

HeyLadyOfDecay
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by HeyLadyOfDecay » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:22 am

*Does math*

So, What I get lore-wise, Half giants are extremely rare, Tieflings are common compared to them, and somehow most of them are moving to Arelith.

*Noms popcorn*

I feel a DM event upcoming.