Far Realm Deities

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

God_In_Action

Far Realm Deities

Post by God_In_Action » Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:04 pm

Is there any way for a non-warlock human cleric to worship a far realm deity? I regret that after making my character and making sure the domains and alignments match, I now fear that you have to be a warlock to select from the Eldritch Entities deity list.

Amateur Hour

Re: Far Realm Deities

Post by Amateur Hour » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:29 pm

You may need to take a Gift of Devotion.

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???

God_In_Action

Post by God_In_Action » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:27 pm

Amateur Hour wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:29 pm
I've tried this with an identical character on the PGCC and still doesn't work.

A warlock character can take an Eldritch Entity as a deity.

Devs, is this intended? I don't myself see any reason it would be illegitimate RP for a non-warlock to serve an Eldritch Entity.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:22 am

God_In_Action wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:27 pm
Amateur Hour wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:29 pm
I've tried this with an identical character on the PGCC and still doesn't work.

A warlock character can take an Eldritch Entity as a deity.

Devs, is this intended? I don't myself see any reason it would be illegitimate RP for a non-warlock to serve an Eldritch Entity.
I can't speak for dev intentions, but I can talk a little bit about the nature of far realm entities (deity or otherwise) as a (potentially IC, not official) reason for why it's warlock only.

Far Realm entities operate on "other" premises.

The far realm is different from all the others. It is seemingly connected to everything and nothing, as far as people know, it is completely alien and impossible for a material world mind to understand. It is a place where elder eldritch gods and beings are located.

The entire premise of a cleric's connection to their god giving them powers is based on their worship(faith) and spiritual intuition/understanding (Wisdom to cast) of their god's tenets, desires, and will, but this relationship is impossible because when dealing with a Far Realms entity these things are completely unknowable- it may not even be accurate to say that a particular Far Realms entity even has a concept of "want," or "desire," so alien is their existence and thought-process.

This is why traditionally you have prestige classes like the Alienist (a wizard specialized in conjuring far plane creatures), and then you have warlocks. A warlock doesn't have to understand the power it's appeasing, it merely has to uphold its end of the contract for eldritch powers. A wizard doesn't necessarily have to intuitively understand WHY when he alters the circle in this way, he calls a far-plane variant of the creature, only that, just like a magic circle against evil does with fiends, it works and it stops them from devouring him.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002