Rules.

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

HeyLadyOfDecay
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Rules.

Post by HeyLadyOfDecay » Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:01 am

So, I'll be honest;
I've been winging it on rules for as long I have been on Arelith, 18 years, give or take.
I basicly did it on common sense, And with the amount I have, that is livingnon the edge.
Today somebody got banned for a few days and everyone around me went " Wait, Thats the rules?"

So, I decided to read them.

Questions!
"Accepting a resurrection in combat is forbidden. Do not raise someone in combat either."

This purely PvP or PvE aswell, I quite often done this PvE to get that writ ping for a fallen companions.

"Accepting a resurrection from the player(s) who killed you means that you agree to waive the 48 hour rule. Be careful doing this. It means you can be killed again. Consider roleplaying the gravity of having just been murdered and act like a prisoner."

If I agree oocly that when I raise somebody I killed to still uphold the 48h rule, is that cool? I find the whole "You're alive thanks to my merci RP etc." Much cooler than "I killed you, lol, bye".

"Do not stand or sit around your own bashed corpse."

What if they are placed in rare social spots like.. The hub?

"One theft per day. When stealing from players and their lockers, you can only steal from one chest once every twenty four hours. In total, from everyone. That is to say in other words, if you steal from Bob’s quarter on Monday you can’t steal from any other player’s quarter on the server until Tuesday."

This was actually the rule that made us go "huh, that's the rule?" :lol:

I get not wanting excessive theft, but wow, Just one item total in 24h which is in character time a few days. Any reason it is that strict?

"Do not have your characters playing in the same circle of friends or narrative, crossing the streams in a weird way."

Not really sure I get it, Is this don't do all this in a weird way or don't do this and don't cross the streams in a weird way.

If its the latter, what if your character is moved to a narrative your alt is involved with.

Sorry my best friend, can't help you chainbreak cause you ..uh.. something..uh..

"Non-consensual themed content is entirely forbidden. This includes any romance or intimate content with slaves in any way, shape or form."

Just noting this rule is written thrice in the wiki, the first time without the exclusion to prior relationships, can be cause confusion as there is a trend of "let me look this up till I see the part where I am right" and moreso, I recommend deleting the "slavery" page for simular confusion.

"Don’t tell other characters to commit suicide or to kill themselves"

So, no "walking the plank" or "muwhaha, Surrender yourself or jump off this cliff and have the gods sort you out"

Or is this more a "£%^^# you, go kill yourself" sort of rule?

That is all,

I learned a lot by reading these rules, To all who read this and are in the same ship I was, I highly recommend going through it. https://wiki.nwnarelith.com/Rules
Lyann Reyer. Back by demand.
(Mass grave of other characters)

Xerah

Re: Rules.

Post by Xerah » Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:09 am

It's amazing and terrifying that someone who has played here for this long that this is all news to you.

You seem to want to take these rules in the worst possible way. It's, something.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

HeyLadyOfDecay
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by HeyLadyOfDecay » Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:48 am

Xerah wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:09 am
It's amazing and terrifying that someone who has played here for this long that this is all news to you.

You seem to want to take these rules in the worst possible way. It's, something.
Not new, mostly old, learned through other channels etc. Like the slavery bit I kept going to the slavery page as a togo source. Some I learned IG some through forum mention, some were actually completely new. :oops:

As for how I take these rules, DMs seemed a bit more strict and I really want to stay on their good side. So, I kinda want to ensure I covered all my bases.

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:20 am

HeyLadyOfDecay wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:01 am
"One theft per day. When stealing from players and their lockers, you can only steal from one chest once every twenty four hours. In total, from everyone. That is to say in other words, if you steal from Bob’s quarter on Monday you can’t steal from any other player’s quarter on the server until Tuesday."

I get not wanting excessive theft, but wow, Just one item total in 24h which is in character time a few days. Any reason it is that strict?
I think this one came out a year or two ago when there was a string of people just robbing 10+ places every day. If the goal is to make RP, then robbing one place a day is sufficient. If it's just for free loot, then go do a dungeon? It's possible in a group to bypass all locks, so it's a nice restriction and sometimes I wish it was once/week given how often it's used to grief instead.

Nothing stops you from breaking in more than once a day though.
HeyLadyOfDecay wrote:
"Do not have your characters playing in the same circle of friends or narrative, crossing the streams in a weird way."

Not really sure I get it, Is this don't do all this in a weird way or don't do this and don't cross the streams in a weird way.

If its the latter, what if your character is moved to a narrative your alt is involved with.

Sorry my best friend, can't help you chainbreak cause you ..uh.. something..uh..
Yeah, this is why it's risky to play more than one character! It's better to keep characters out of groups that'll conflict, as well as out of the same group. So playing an unknown Cordorian and a notable dwarf of Brog is generally perfectly okay. But yeah if you're playing a slaver or part of a house that enslaved someone your other character knows, then your surface character shouldn't help chainbreak in any way as then you're crossing the streams.
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:34 am

All these changes are published on the forum. If you're looking for a rational, get to searching.

HeyLadyOfDecay
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by HeyLadyOfDecay » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:27 am

WanderingPoet wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:20 am
HeyLadyOfDecay wrote:

I think this one came out a year or two ago when there was a string of people just robbing 10+ places every day. If the goal is to make RP, then robbing one place a day is sufficient. If it's just for free loot, then go do a dungeon? It's possible in a group to bypass all locks, so it's a nice restriction and sometimes I wish it was once/week given how often it's used to grief instead.

Nothing stops you from breaking in more than once a day though.
HeyLadyOfDecay wrote:

Yeah, this is why it's risky to play more than one character! It's better to keep characters out of groups that'll conflict, as well as out of the same group. So playing an unknown Cordorian and a notable dwarf of Brog is generally perfectly okay. But yeah if you're playing a slaver or part of a house that enslaved someone your other character knows, then your surface character shouldn't help chainbreak in any way as then you're crossing the streams.
Hm, I used to do about 3 quarters a day, left cute notes, since none wrote back, I lost intrest :lol:

Well, I haven't had streams cross that badly atleast. But social circles of characters overlapping, sure.

DM Monkey
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by DM Monkey » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:54 am

Here's a decent list with some extra explanations: https://wiki.nwnarelith.com/Rules

You should read the rules BEFORE playing on Arelith, and are expected to follow them while playing on Arelith.

To cover the questions (this is my understanding):
  • Raising in PvE isn't a big deal to us, we care more about when people do this in PvP situations.
  • Accepting a resurrection is an IC choice, you are being brought back to life IC. There's nothing OOC about it, and once you do this the 48hr rule is waived. If people want to be merciful, they can use -subdual instead of killing you. "OOC Raise" is not a thing and should not be happening, no matter how nice you think you're being.
  • Don't stand around spots where you've been bashed. If that happens to be a common/public spot, try to avoid going back. Think of how much psychological damage it might do to your character to view their remains in such a state, knowing that they're lucky to be alive right now. Ideally people shouldn't be bashing bodies as trophies/markers/warnings in this way, so report this to us if someone is doing this.
  • Don't steal more than 1 thing - It's that strict because of a mix of people not being fair with the way this was being done previously.
  • Crossing the Streams is when you get two of your characters tied up in one another's stories, touch on the same areas of the server, deal with the same people, share gold, share information, whatever... It's not an exhaustive list at all. You should do your best to keep your characters entirely separate and not create a situation where they're ever in contact or have any shared knowledge. If this seems difficult to do, then it's a good sign that you're too close already. You're in control of your characters.
  • Non-consent themes being forbidden is written a number of times to make the point. It also comes down to the wiki being updated over time, and not always being 100% correct.
  • "Walk the plank!" is entirely different to telling someone to kill themself. I really hope people can tell the difference between a thematic pirate phrase in the right context and what is otherwise an entirely terrible thing to wish on people.
I hope this covers OP's questions. Please reach out in PMs if you have any issues. I second what Xerah has brought up here, but I hope it is much more clear now.

Try harder! Help set a good example of roleplay for the server culture.