Frost trap uncraftable by design?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

TurningLeaf
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Frost trap uncraftable by design?

Post by TurningLeaf » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:56 pm

Hi this questions is about frost traps specifically. These require coldstones to make which is not a craftable item on Arelith, not available to buy from any vendor i have seen, and also doesn't seem to be in the drop table. Maybe I'm just ignorant regarding someplace these can be had but if coldstones just dont exist here the result is that frost traps aren't craftable on Arelith. Is this as intended or something that was overlooked, still in planning phases, etc.? Thanks.

Hazard

Re: Frost trap uncraftable by design?

Post by Hazard » Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:16 am

The system hasn't really been touched much afaik and is rarely worth it, when you can just crawl around the module and pick up traps for free. Maybe an NPC somewhere sells coldstones (if they do, I haven't noticed because I just steal my frost traps), but if they don't and I had to guess why it might be because frost traps are kinda the best trap and everyone sleeps on them.

The fortitude save for frost traps is actually just for the paralyze effect, and their damage is saveless. This is pretty nice. You can set down a big line of frost traps (without stacking them, that's not allowed) and kill almost anything granted it isn't immune to cold damage or heavily resistant.

TurningLeaf
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by TurningLeaf » Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:38 am

It seems off that all of the other traps can be made with ingredients that you can find IG, except this one. I actually noticed this some time ago but at that time I hadn't explored much of Arelith, now I feel pretty confident (but not 100%) that coldstones don't exist on this server. The remaining thing to figure out is if it's intentional or not. Either intentional or oversight would be odd in the context of the link below but really just trying to gather info.

https://nwnarelith.com/index.php/news-l ... rap-update

Eyeliner

Post by Eyeliner » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:51 am

An NPC does sell them in the Hub. That's probably not the only location either but I'm not going to run all over checking. I did think the Brog rogue merchant might but doesn't seem to so I'm not saying they're easy to get or anything, but they do exist.

TurningLeaf
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by TurningLeaf » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:33 am

Eyeliner wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:51 am
An NPC does sell them in the Hub. That's probably not the only location either but I'm not going to run all over checking. I did think the Brog rogue merchant might but doesn't seem to so I'm not saying they're easy to get or anything, but they do exist.
Thanks, I'll have to double check this I've not come across it in the Hub.

Edit: found it, thanks!

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:40 am

I've found a few others, since this post made me curious and I've never really checked. There's a couple NPCs around the module that will sell coldstones, but I think they are FOIG, as they're pretty 'shady'.