Warlock and Stream

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Gambrow

Warlock and Stream

Post by Gambrow » Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:45 pm

A warlock which haves the Eldritch SUmmon, when use -stream command, doesnt show any stream (I think its ok since you have only the pact). When using a item that gives a stream, it`ll show two options in the -stream command? Or it`ll change your summon type forever?

Gambrow

Re: Warlock and Stream

Post by Gambrow » Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:23 pm

Answering myself, I can summon my default warlock summon choosing Outsiders -> Per alignment. I dont known what happens if I take another pact. With Prismatic Dragons, i cant summon (maybe because warlocks can only summon Evil creatures), summoning my default creature; Outsider -> Devil and Unseele Fey worked, but Slaad dont. I dont known if it worked as intended, and I dont tested with SUmmon Creature spells.

Edit: I probably found the answer. You can only summon streams that a warlock can do pacts, with the Eldricth summon feat.

Eyeliner

Post by Eyeliner » Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:42 pm

Specifically they can only use evil streams yeah. That's intended.

Ithalan

Post by Ithalan » Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:50 am

A bit more comprehensive answer here:

Eldritch Summon uses the Outsider stream, and if you haven't set it to use a specific stream (or you don't know any streams), then it defaults to summoning creatures based on your alignment. This is normal for any summoning spell (like Planar Ally, Planar Binding, etc) that uses the Outsider stream.

Eldritch Summon specifically has two additional rules. 1) It can't summon creatures from non-evil streams (This doesn't prevent you from learning non-evil Outsider streams however, which can be used with other spells). Attempting to do so makes it defer to summon a creature from the corresponding evil stream instead. For example, attempting to summon from the Lawful Neutral stream, whether because of your alignment or by selecting the stream manually, makes it summon from the Lawful Evil stream instead. 2) There's no chance of an Evil-aligned summon turning hostile if the alignment of the stream differs from your own. (There's an unconfirmed possibility that this second rule also extends to other Outsider-summoning spells, and may not be exclusive to evil-aligned summons. Testing required)

Some warlock Pacts, but not all, grants you outsider Streams that you then know automatically and can select with the -stream command, but outside of that your character starts out without knowledge of any particular streams, meaning you are stuck with summoning based on your alignment until you learn a Stream. Taking multiple Pacts that grant different streams gives you access to all of those streams to select from.

On top of all this certain pacts (and possibly also races) will "re-skin" the tier 6 outsider summon granted by Epic Eldritch Summon, either when using certain streams or regardless of which stream you use. The rules for how this is handled is a bit unclear however. For example a Star Pact warlock's tier 6 summon will be a "Summoned Unknown" regardless of pact used, but being a Drow also seems to result in a tier 6 Demon summon being a Summoned Bebilith (instead of either Summoned Unknown, or the normal Summoned Hezrou). The re-skinning is purely cosmetic in all cases. It's still the original creature that is summoned, which immediately then has its creature model, name and description changed to the re-skinned version. All stats remain the same.