Healing (kit): what's so good about it?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Pippo

Healing (kit): what's so good about it?

Post by Pippo » Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:12 pm

I see that most fighting builds always max out Healing, and I am starting to think that I am missing something about it.

I see that using a Healing kit does not break stealth and does not cause AoO, although it makes the user flat-footed.
It also provides some damage reduction for a while, but I haven't been able to figure out how much or for how long.

In short: can anyone explain to me why Heal is such a core skill to have, and why/when use healing kits instead of a potion of Heal/critical wounds?

Good Character

Re: Healing (kit): what's so good about it?

Post by Good Character » Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:32 pm

1. Skillmageddon gave people a free skill. Healing hits are cheaper that potions.

2. As you mentioned, it doesn't proc AoO or stealth; simply sit in Improved Expertise and heal away.

3. Potion of Heal was nerfed to where you take a substantial sobriety hit. They're reserved for dire situations like boss battles or PvP.

4. Potion of Critical Wounds can still be used if you can afford them. The reason why people begun shying away from healing potions is because their costs through NPCs jumped roughly 2-5x their previous price. Though, this was back in 2020.

5. Healing Reduction bit you're wondering about: "Healing Kits now grant the target Bleeding Damage Resistance equal to half the kit's Heal Bonus (i.e. +10 Kits grant 5/- DR, +6 ones 3/- DR and all others 1/- DR). This effect lasts for 5 rounds."

Eyeliner

Post by Eyeliner » Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:17 pm

They're easier to use on other people too (for me at least).

Ordo.Lupus

Post by Ordo.Lupus » Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:53 pm

Heal can be a good investment though I've rarely used it. The kits are HEAVY compared to potions or wands.
I see it more reasonable to spend a single point in herbalism which lets you craft moderate healing potions compared to investing skill points that can be tight on some classes even after skillmageddon. Potions always do their d8+character level in healing while heal skill can be d20 if in combat. Sure it doesnt provoke AoO or breaks expertise but potions often lets you heal alot more than kits do.

So given the weight of kits and the effective healing then I often consider kits inferior to potions when in combat.
"To every man is given the key to the gates of heaven. The same key opens the gates of hell" - Richard P. Feynman

chris a gogo

Post by chris a gogo » Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:19 pm

Cheap effective healing, skill score+d20+kit mod that also removes poison and disease.
Or you can carry lots of different potions.

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:21 pm

Healing kits are expensive and weigh a ton but the ability to restore HP, cure disease and poison and target allies are all invaluable.

They also work wonders for characters who are lower leveled or weaker. The party will love you just for expertise tanking and healing everyone.