Disguise question

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Ceyella

Disguise question

Post by Ceyella » Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:29 pm

Hello guys,

Today I was walking around cordor when a guard who did not break my disguise detained me. I attempted to talk it out but they claimed they “had my description” my understanding of disguise was that it changes your appearance and people can’t just up and go omg you look JUST like “XYZ”! now admittedly I didn’t change my outfit, but I did buy a new one now. But I’m worried about walking around cordor if their going to just arrest every hin with my hair color or what lol.

Is there a way to change color of your hair? Wearing a hood is pointless as guards just demand you take it off.

Amateur Hour

Re: Disguise question

Post by Amateur Hour » Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:28 pm

Changing your hair color regularly is not feasible for disguise. This said, when disguising, keep the following post in mind:
The GrumpyCat wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:10 am
Ultimatly best judgement is what we have to ask for - because whilst indeed you shouldn't be able to recognise someone if they have disguise up (and you don't break that disguise) It's also unfair to say that Bob the Tiefling with the Neon Blue Hair and Horns and Distinctive Purple Outfit should walk in front of the guards and yell 'YES I AM BOB THE TIEFLING! BUT I'M DISGUISED SO YOU CAN'T TELL MWHAHAHA'

So my advice is two fold:

For those trying to Break Disguise: Be kind. Don't Play To Win. Give people leeway. Nine times out of ten, if you havn't 'broken' their disguised you really shouldn't 'susspect' them. If you absolutly have a very good rp reason to be susspicious, then go for it, but honestly I'd always err on the side of caution here.

For Those Disguised: Put some effort into your disguise, recognise that being Very Distinctive has it's drawbacks too. But if you are 'recognised' or treated 'susspiciously' but your disguise hasn't been broken? Please report it and we'll look into it.

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???

Ceyella

Post by Ceyella » Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:42 pm

Yea, I don’t want to report because to be fair I was wearing the same outfit and it’s not too hard for them be looking for “a halfing with X hair color wearing XZY described outfit.” I didn’t know they were after me specifically to change it up, but given I’m an assassin i always disguise because I’ve loitered around say cordor fire to see if a target shows up. If after i Change outfit and cycle some disguises they still pull a immediate ITS YOU id be a bit more … wtf.

I think they were a new guard too because they just ran up and demanded I be arrested and I was like uhhh ok? And a veteran guard showed up who was very confused too but said they were supporting. During my extremely short questioning the veteran guard was also confused because the I believe to be new guard was like “you are who we are looking for straight to cells.” I did my part to PM both I was about to escape then whined some more before gtfoing. So hopefully the more veteran guard talks to them a bit, and it’s good RP at least I have some ideas to Keep going and not just change characters for a month.

Morgy
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Morgy » Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:36 pm

Hard to know without being there, but you say you were wearing the exact same outfit? In the same way modern day police look for people, based on their clothing, it's a 50/50 situation. I wouldn't be wearing the same outfit for multiple disguises, because you're not really putting much effort in that way, but expecting others to ignore it.

So either:

a) They went on your model head - which is not okay, really.

b) They saw you had the exact same outfit as before - I would say this is fine, because you could have easily avoided it on your part.

JustMonika

Post by JustMonika » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:00 pm

What was the IC component of your disguise, if you didn't change your outfit at all?

Temporarily back to Arelith and currently Lilliana Snowfire.

If you have unfinished business with Ultrianan, let me know! Arabella has been rolled.

DM Poppy

Post by DM Poppy » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:20 pm

So, this is from our wiki with regards to the use of disguise.
Your character attempts to conceal their identity. If you use -disguise, then whenever someone Inspects you, they will roll Spot and you'll roll the higher of your Bluff and Perform; if they roll lower then they won't get any details about you.

Being disguised means that your character is making an active effort to either appear inconspicuous, shroud their identity, or outright pretend to be somebody else. This effort must also come from the player and be reflected in the roleplay, for a character that acts, speaks and looks the same way as they do without the disguise will beckon for common sense. As always, excessive silliness will be culled with fire.

Inspecting (right click on character>Examine) is considered an act of passive observation, in contrast.

A character may make use of the -disguise command, even if they haven't invested points in Bluff or Perform, but the disguise will be bland and likely to be pierced even by untrained characters. Skilled disguise artists have a chance of breaking exiles.

A character in disguise will have their name wrapped in quotes "SomeDisguiseNameHere", and your portrait will change to the generic hooded male/female.

Slaves in disguise will tag as (slave). If they reach a high Bluff or Perform score, they will appear with the normal disguise tag.

Descriptions may be saved and automatically switched when entering different disguises. Using Disguise under the same name as a saved description will automatically load that description. Going out of disguise will automatically reload the standard description (but just the same, it may be wise to save your normal description). Information about this is in the Description article.
If you are using the same Disguise Name, Clothing or Description repeatedly and someone has previously beaten your disguise then you can be recognised even without a successful spot check.

If you are Bob, with the description "7'0 God Figure", wearing 63 black robe. Then change your name to Jim, with the description "7'0 God Figure", wearing 63 black robe. People are permitted to assume that you are Bob even if they failed the spot check. Afterall, your floating name is OOC. Your models clothing and description is something that can be seen and used IG. Head Models and Hair Colours shouldn't really be used to identify you, because it's not something that can be changed.

So, use new Aliases, mix up your clothes and colours and change your descriptions. If you suspect foul play, feel free to send a report to Active DM.
I'm the nice one.. I promise :twisted:

BIGTacos

Post by BIGTacos » Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:05 am

If the disguise wasnt broken I'd say it was wrong of the gaurd but thats just me im not a DM.

DM Poppy

Post by DM Poppy » Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:11 am

BIGTacos wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:05 am
If the disguise wasnt broken I'd say it was wrong of the gaurd but thats just me im not a DM.
OKAY. I am going to cover some what if's as best as I can. Hopefully they make sense to everyone that reads them.

Treat a new Disguise (Name. Description. Clothing) like treating a new Character.
You encounter "Bob". This is the first time you've met this disguise
You meet "Bob" for the first. Do you know they are disguised?
-> Fail - No, you've never met this person before. They are like every new face you encounter, a stranger.
-> Succeed - Yes, you suspect "Bob" is not as they claim to be! Do you know who they are?

You break "Bob's" disguise. They are really called Generic Baddy. Have you ever met Generic Baddy before?
-> No - You do not recognise this man, but you are aware that "Bob" is not as they seem, they are hiding their true identity.
-> Yes - You recognise that "Bob" is in fact Generic Baddy

Now. Let's say you encounter someone with a long term disguise.
You meet "Bob", this is the second time you've met "Bob", but you've NEVER broken their disguise. Do you know they are disguised?
-> Fail - No, it is "Bob", you've met "Bob" before.
-> Succeed - Yes, you recognise that "Bob" is not as they claim to be! Do you know who they are?
You break "Bob's" disguise. They are really called Generic Baddy. Have you ever met Generic Baddy before?
-> No - You do not recognise this man, but you are aware that "Bob" is not as they seem, they are hiding their true identity.
You meet "Bob", this is the second time you've met them, but you HAVE already broken their disguise. Do you know they are disguised?
-> Fail - Yes, you have met a "Bob" before and you knew they were hiding their identity, you have reason to suspect this is the same man. Did you know who they were?
-> Succeed - Yes, you have met "Bob" before, you already know they are hiding their identity, did you know who they were?
You recognise "Bob" from a previous encounter. They are really called Generic Baddy. Have you ever met Generic Baddy before?
Finally. You meet a Lazy Disguiser.
You meet "Jim" for the first time. "Jim" has the same description as "Bob", the same clothing, the same colour scheme and the same mannerisms. You have met "Bob" before. You have NOT broken "Bob's" disguise. Do you know they are disguised?
-> Fail - Yes, they walk, talk, dress and look like "Bob". You've a good reason to suspect that "Jim" is in fact "Bob"
-> Succeed - Yes. You recognise that "Jim" is attempting to hide their identity. Do you know them?
You break "Jim's" disguise. They are really called Generic Baddy. Have you ever met Generic Baddy before?
-> No - You do not recognise this man, but you are aware that "Jim" is "Bob" and is not as they seem, they are hiding their true identity.
-> Yes - You recognise that "Jim" is in fact Generic Baddy
You meet "Jim" for the first time. "Jim" has the same description as "Bob", the same clothing, the same colour scheme and the same mannerisms. You have met "Bob" before. You HAVE broken "Bob's" disguise. Do you know they are disguised?
-> Fail - Yes, they walk, talk, dress and look like "Bob". You've a good reason to suspect that "Jim" is in fact "Bob" whom you knew was hiding their identity. Did you know them?
-> Succeed - Yes. You recognise that "Jim" hiding their identity. Do you know them?
You broke "Bob's" disguise. They were really called Generic Baddy. Have you ever met Generic Baddy before?
-> No - You do not recognise this man, but you are aware that "Jim" is "Bob" and is not as they seem, they are hiding their true identity.
-> Yes - You recognise that "Jim" is in fact Generic Baddy
I'm the nice one.. I promise :twisted:

Amateur Hour

Post by Amateur Hour » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:50 pm

Is anyone else more of a visual learner? Because this is what I've come up with, with Poppy's input, GrumpyCat's input, and the wiki.

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???

msheeler

Post by msheeler » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:31 am

This is AMAZING.