Pugilist Druids and Wildshape?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Hinty

Pugilist Druids and Wildshape?

Post by Hinty » Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:15 pm

I am curious to know if this interaction is intended or not.

Currently a druid that invests in the Brawler Feat gains the extra two attacks while Wildshaped. If they have the Pugilist feat they also gain the extra STR bonus damage (although it does not recalculate for the new STR, so you only get half of your STR bonus PRE shapeshifting.

As it stands, this is a two feat investment (Imp Unarmed and Brawler) to gain 2 extra attacks, much like a two weapon fighting class, so its not like its totally overpowered while Pugilist is of much less value (although you MIGHT need it to get the extra attacks if you wore light armour when you shifted, I assume the extra attacks are applied to the char when they equip/unequip gear and shifting does not prompt a check)

For the cost of two feats for two extra attacks it doesn't seeeem OP to me, BUT Druid shapes were no doubt balanced around a 3 or 4 APR max, and not 6APR (although 6 is attainable for monk dips) so I don't know if the extra two attacks might unbalance Druids.

Either way it would be nice for folk to know for sure if this is intended (Go ahead and consider for future builds) Or unintended and may be removed (Don't do it, those feats may be worthless in a month or so)

From where I am sitting it looks like it may be the same thing that let Druids gain Invisible Blade bleed in wildshape if they had a light weapon equipped when they shifted, this seems to have been removed so I thought it best to clarify if the same applies here.

Edit: I should note it is nice for non lawful Druid builds to have a way to access the same number of APR as LN ones can, so I am all for it.

Sandrow
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Pugilist Druids and Wildshape?

Post by Sandrow » Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:28 am

I've got an idea. What well happen if you drink a potion of bull's strength while polymorphed? The damage bonus is supposed to recalculate due to Str changing through magic. It might just recalculated and be what you supposed to be.
However, if it does not recalculate, then there must be some mysterious code preventing that from happening.