Shadowvar and the Shadow Weave

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Amateur Hour

Shadowvar and the Shadow Weave

Post by Amateur Hour » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:30 pm

So Shadowvar natively must use the Shadow Weave per the wiki, though they are not forced to take the Shadow Mage path.

My question: how common knowledge is it in the Arelith version of the Forgotten Realms that shadowvar arcanist -> shadow weave? Is it something that should be considered super-secret lore only the shadowvar know (unless told IC)? Is it something that an average trained wizard with a formal magical education would know? Is it something Jim the Peasant on the side of the road would know?

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???

Ebonstar

Re: Shadowvar and the Shadow Weave

Post by Ebonstar » Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:20 pm

Shadow Weave is secret according to realmslore save to the Sharran cultists and Shadowmages who use it obviously and realms sages.

Problem is on Arelith we as players know realmslore better than most, and you can see players sometimes struggle to not know IC about things that everyone knows.

The Devs can give an actual how to interpret though.
Yes I can sign

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:46 am

I don't think we're supposed to know about the shadow-weave IC, but it can be confusing, especially when you have characters telling you that they are using the Shadow Weave.

perseid

Post by perseid » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:24 am

In theory I think Shadow Magic is supposed to be a bit mysterious and largely unknown by most if you go by the setting lore. That said... Rule 3 in the Arcane Tower is a rule specifically calling out Shadow Magic. So even the server itself betrays this bit of lore.

Eira
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Eira » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:58 am

The Shadow Weave was revealed to larger knowledge after its "discovery" in 1371, and an organization was founded to combat it mid 1372. It makes sense for the arcane-focused and followers of other shadowy gods or shadow-combatting gods to know of it, and anyone who takes a particular interest in magic.

Maybe less so for Farmer George.

Now if someone can automatically know that Shadovar use the shadow weave? Ehhh, I'd hazard probably not unless they specifically study it or Shadovar, or ways to detect shadow weave. But the latter, I believe, isn't mechanically possible to identify in game.

More story is created by not knowing all the answers and having reason to investigate others instead of having an instant win button, so I'd recommend keeping that in mind.

I exist to describe the world around us.

Akorae

Keth'ym Evanara - wandering better paths
Veriel Xyrdan - married and happy
Reena Welkins - Dead

Discord: eighra