Ranger Favored Enemies

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

IAmSwampFoot

Ranger Favored Enemies

Post by IAmSwampFoot » Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:27 am

I haven't played in an age. While I can guess at lower level favored enemies to gain some advantage in my normally solo adventures, I really have no idea which enemies I will be facing in higher levels as 5 years or so of changes have taken place since my last ranger and playing on this server.

Bear in mind I am not a big fan of PvP (especially against those who build specifically for it) but rather want to maximize my ranger's usefulness in a group heading out on an adventure.

MRFTW

Re: Ranger Favored Enemies

Post by MRFTW » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:49 am

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

This sheet has some suggestions, but I don't know how correct it is these days. Looks pretty good from a glance over it, though.

Wethrinea

Post by Wethrinea » Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:58 am

With the studied enemy feature you basically build up a reservoir of potential FE's. If you hold off selecting them, you can do so later when you have more experience with late game content. Depending on how many ranger levels you take, you can get up to 13 favoured enemies at 30 with 14 wisdom, not counting the 23, 26 and 29 bonus feats.

Obviously, the Big Three among monsters are a no brainer: Undead, Outsider and Dragon
Ivar Ferdamann - Mercenary turned Marshall

God_In_Action

Post by God_In_Action » Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:22 pm

Aberration or maybe giant is a good choice alongside those already mentioned by Wethrinea.

Wethrinea

Post by Wethrinea » Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:29 pm

To add on leveling strategy: I would advise to use your FE feats on the races that normally don't appear as PvE enemies, like elves, half-elves, dwarves, half-orcs and halflings. Most other things you will kill in such numbers that selecting them through studied enemy will be no problem.
Ivar Ferdamann - Mercenary turned Marshall