Eldritch Blast Damage

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Deswe

Eldritch Blast Damage

Post by Deswe » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:51 pm

This is happening to me on my third Warlock in a row now and I don't know what to do anymore.
I struggle extremely hard to getting the Dmg of my Blasts to be even somewhat above the Average of what it should be. Currently lv7 on my newest Warlock with Eldritch Mastery I, so should be 6d6 damage on my Blasts:

4d6 Base + 2d6 Mastery.
-> Max: 36 (30 on Lv5-6)
-> Average: 18 (15 on Lv5-6)

My usual blasts on Lv7 sit around 12-17 Damage, which is quite below the average of what it should be. The highest I have it seen get so far, without crits, is 24, this being the case only maybe a handful of times. With Crits I have managed to score up to 28.
This has been the same for my other 2 Warlocks aswell, both are about to hit Epics. (The Values there being different ofcourse, but the same phenomenon is happening there.)

Biggest culprit is the Magic damage part, it appears to not be able to reach double digits outside of crits.

Now, I am sure that if it were an actual problem with the way damage is calculated someone would have already said something aswell and it would have been fixed but it's happening on my third Warlock now, both on the Surface and in the Underdark.

So here's my question: What am I doing wrong, something I am missing ? Is Eldritch Mastery I simply not applying ? Does every Enemy in the Game have Resistance towards Magic Damage ? I can understand having an unlucky Day or two, but not on three whole Characters the whole time.

Healing with Negative and Positive Damage appears to be fine, reaching as high and as low as it should.

Captain_Siix
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Eldritch Blast Damage

Post by Captain_Siix » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:43 pm

I'm pretty sure the magic part deals 80% damage. Per the wiki "All Eldritch Blast Damage Types EXCEPT Magic and Positive will deal half Magic or Positive and half Elemental Damage. Magic and Positive Blast Damage remains undivided but only deals 80% Damage. This makes Magic and Positive the best Blast Damage for interruping spells." It sounds like it's supposed to be 50/50 based off this but it might be 50/50 and then the magic half it .8.
Current PCs:
Vadion
Van

Past NPCs:
Horrik Hellbelch
Cassandra

Melchizedek14

Post by Melchizedek14 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:29 am

He should be doing 3d6 elemental and 3d6 magic damage with each blast. The 80% only applies if you make the blast do pure magic or positive. At lead that's the way I understand it. I'm playing a warlock right now too and the actual damage I see doesn't make any sense either. I just assumed it was because I was new to the game I didn't really know what was going on.

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Kalopsia » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:24 am

In order to add a bit of randomness to the damage numbers, I'm subtracting the result of a d6 from the magic component and adding the same value to the other element. Maybe that explains your observations.

Deswe

Post by Deswe » Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:34 pm

Level 19 now, still the same. While the Damage does increase, I am currently at:

10d6 Base + 2d6 Mastery = 12d6 Blast Damage
Max: 72 Damage
Average: 36 Damage

Anything beyond low 40s hasn't happened once, Crits managed to get me to low 50s at times. The Damage, especially when Hasted, is still good and adds up over time but the upper 1/3rd of the Damage Spectrum appears to be virtually not reachable.
Kalopsia wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:24 am
In order to add a bit of randomness to the damage numbers, I'm subtracting the result of a d6 from the magic component and adding the same value to the other element. Maybe that explains your observations.
That would explain the lower Magic Damage in the early Game, yes. Doesn't explain the total damage virtually never reaching the upper Spectrum though, as it only tansfers some Damage to be Elemental.

Something is just way off about the Numbers, even when taking Eldritch Mastery out of the equation. It still adds up to a sizeable amount but it's frustrating to be capped at 60-70ish% of max Damage.