Request to the Gods (DMs please give opinion)

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Grimey Straatwalk

Request to the Gods (DMs please give opinion)

Post by Grimey Straatwalk » Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:12 pm

Let's say a character wants to make a request to the Gods by praying for them to punish/reward another player's action.

For a punishment, perhaps a severe curse that lasts a few days. For a rewards, good fortune, or perhaps a gift from thier god.

The other players action would have to be either extremely good or bad to both the God of the character, and the god of the other player. (Both their gods must agree, otherwise the player would be protected)

It would have to be something both gods find extremely offensive and punishable. Or something that both gods find to be exemplary.

It would require a bit of knowledge of the gods, and would be at the discresion of the DM active at the time. I think this could be a fun addition to RP.

Would I be able to make such a request to the DM and have a request to the gods granted/denied?

DM Poppy

Re: Request to the Gods (DMs please give opinion)

Post by DM Poppy » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:13 pm

Simply put. No.

If you want someone to face IG Consiquences, find a means to do that yourself. We won't interact with the server as a "God"
I'm the nice one.. I promise :twisted:

Grimey Straatwalk

Post by Grimey Straatwalk » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:44 pm

Okay, fair enough. Thought it might add some fun to RP.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:42 pm

I'm not a DM, but if you think the other player might be receptive to this try giving them a PM and asking if they'd like to RP the curse happening anyway, and you could organise it behind the scenes. If not, then that's fine I guess, but sometimes people are open to things that can't mechanically happen and will just play along.

D4wN

Post by D4wN » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:38 pm

Other than reaching out to the other player I also suggest that there are many other ways to seek out revenge on a character who’s wronged yours.

They might have other enemies for example you could work with or find out more info about the character you want to take revenge on and discover their weaknesses to exploit them.

There are tons of fun (non PvP) ways you can “punish” another character for what they did to yours and yes! Reach out to them, they might be open to being punished.

Personally I always am as long as it happens organically and not arranged in detail OOCly. The sky is the limit and these sorts of events are in my opinion what has the potential to create great conflict RP and character development. Nothing better than having good and fun (arch) enemies.

Currently playing:
Thomas Castemont - Active

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Theodor Helbrecht - Rolled
Emma Young - Rolled
Ember Joyleaf-Underfoot - Rolled

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:49 pm

Just to confirm what Poppy said, DMs are explicitly dissalowed from roleplaying Gods of any stripe.

They might do a few vfx in a cool divine ritual or some such, some vauge sublte sense of a gods pleasure/displeasure in very specific circumstances but that is the absolute furthest it should go.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Amateur Hour

Post by Amateur Hour » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:23 am

Keep in mind you can still absolutely pray to the gods for help with your revenge; just don't expect actual intervention.

Prayer RP at altars should not be underestimated.

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???

Grimey Straatwalk

Post by Grimey Straatwalk » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:23 am

Prayer RP at altars should not be underestimated.
Do you mean charging up for favor of the gods to save your life or other abilities granted through prayer? Or something more?

Amateur Hour

Post by Amateur Hour » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:44 am

I mean that it's a good opportunity for character development/growth. You're writing a soliloquy for all practical purposes; you can do a lot with that. A discouraged character could spend time praying and come back reinvigorated with purpose, or they could lose their faith and have a change in direction, or many other things.

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???

Grimey Straatwalk

Post by Grimey Straatwalk » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:49 am

Personally I always am as long as it happens organically and not arranged in detail OOCly. The sky is the limit and these sorts of events are in my opinion what has the potential to create great conflict RP and character development. Nothing better than having good and fun (arch) enemies.
I'm also a bit of a purist when it comes to RP, I will set up a scenario and let it play out naturally. Such as my character standing on the side of the road and just seeing what happens. (what a reaction he can get sometimes!) I am left a bit disappointed when things move into PvP as I feel it cuts off potential growth of story and character devlopment. That's just my personal take on it, of course.

Grimey has always been a difficult and at times a miserable character to play.

I don't really like the black/white lines between good and evil. So the enemy/arch-enemy model doesn't work well for me. There is a lot of grey area that can open doors and I think people should explore that more. You will find my character will play along with anything you throw at him. Mind you, I know it can be more fun to get into a solid battle.

Morgy
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Morgy » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:09 am

Whilst I agree that rapid PvP can be a very dull/uncreative option, it is sometimes the only logical response to PCs who show no fear of consequence to their wicked (or perceived as such) deeds and continue to put themselves in the paths of their enemies. How many times can you let the baddie or enemy walk away unscathed who never learns?

Grey areas are absolutely a good thing to explore, but some places are correctly almost black and white, due to the lore/culture. Animators/monsters, for example, will not ever be given quarter in a place like Cordor (an animator might get a chance at redemption, but were they to keep showing up, still up to the same tricks and expecting to get away with it? The options run out.)

It would be nice if there were some more options to 'punish' other players, or trap them, like slavery, though. I have played in the past a warlock who was trying to change his ways, and was therefore locked in magecuffs and unable to call on his powers for a week or two. That was fun. These things require player consent and agreement, though, as they are not otherwise enforceable.