Question about Ships vs Quarters

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Melchizedek14

Question about Ships vs Quarters

Post by Melchizedek14 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:04 pm

I'm new to sailing and figuring it out. As such, I have questions...

1. Can I own a quarter and a ship? If not, I'm allowed to rent a ship, right? How long can I keep the rental?
  2. Can you own a ship and rent a ship?
  3. What happens to the permanent storage on a ship when it sinks?
  4. If you're boarded by other players, does the 1 item theft rule apply or can they take everything you've got?
  5. A ship I was on sank in a storm. The storm had a DC of 60! Did I hit a hurricane or are they all that strong? Does the storm damage roll use total crew skill or average crew skill?
  6. Are there only the two ships in the Underdark? The Dreadnaught and the Fishing boat? Are/will there be ships for sailing the Undrenzee? (sailing the Undrenzee would be so awesome)

I appreciate any answers I get. Thanks all!

Biolab00
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Question about Ships vs Quarters

Post by Biolab00 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:02 pm

Melchizedek14 wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:04 pm

I'm new to sailing and figuring it out. As such, I have questions...

1. Can I own a quarter and a ship? If not, I'm allowed to rent a ship, right? How long can I keep the rental?
  2. Can you own a ship and rent a ship?
  3. What happens to the permanent storage on a ship when it sinks?
  4. If you're boarded by other players, does the 1 item theft rule apply or can they take everything you've got?
  5. A ship I was on sank in a storm. The storm had a DC of 60! Did I hit a hurricane or are they all that strong? Does the storm damage roll use total crew skill or average crew skill?
  6. Are there only the two ships in the Underdark? The Dreadnaught and the Fishing boat? Are/will there be ships for sailing the Undrenzee? (sailing the Undrenzee would be so awesome)

I appreciate any answers I get. Thanks all!

1) Ship = Quarter.
There's a permanent quarter in each ship so, it counts as Quarter.

2) You can both own a permanent ship and at the sametime, also rent a rental ship but it's frowned upon, both OOCly and ICly.

3) Permanent storage, fixtures, remain as it is on the ship, even while it sinks.

4) This part, even i'm not sure. To my understanding, i apply common sense on this matter. Most of the times, if you're ever boarded, they're usually rental ship. So, it's quite clearcut that the plunder should simply be wood supplies or perhaps, weaponry but definitely not QOL stuff, such as Crafting stations, Decorations etc etc. And do not go overboard on it.
I've never met the case whereby a permanent lease ship get boarded so, i can't comment on that but i still think that, common sense should apply and do not go overboard on destruction or plundering.

5) All ship uses the total crew sail defined by the ship size and number of sailors. You can learn more by using the command -ship when you board it. But, if it's a rental, you can only view it if you have the keys (which the rental owner have to give you, or you are the owner of the rental lease)

6) Yep, only 2 ship in Underdark. At least, for now.

I guess, that sums up most of the points.

Melchizedek14

Post by Melchizedek14 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:15 pm

Does the fishing boat count as permanent or a rental?

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:38 pm

Rental ships will have a timeout of 24 hours I believe, it should say on the sign
Perminent ships will have a timeout of a week +

This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Rei_Jin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Rei_Jin » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:06 pm

The Constant Companion (This is the dock name of the Underdark Rental) has a lease length of 12 hours, due to high demand for its use.

"Ownable" ships have a lease length of 7 days, during which time as long as the owner interacts with the ship's wheel/navigator, it will refresh.

Currently "Monstrous" races can only rent the Constant Companion, and the Half-Orc Camp rental (as it counts as a wilderness property).

There are no "ownable" Underdark ships except for the Dreadnought, which is a district bidding property (part of the lease of the Shipyard), and it has three quarters which must be filled if one becomes the "owner" of it. This has understandably hamstrung the development of Underdark sailing, but those of us who love to sail are working with the situation as best as we can while we wait for more ships to be added to the module.